Jaquan Johnson

Advertisement
You may think I'm exaggerating but I think JJ will be a key to our defense success this year. With missing Grace and the lack of depth and experience at LB position, his versatility, football IQ and physical play will have a huge role in keeping our defense solid. I'm hoping the DL will rise to the occasion, being very destructive and make the job of LB's and DB's easier. But I have faith in JJ. He is a leader and talented player who will cherish his role.

Advertisement
JJ is like Sean Spence. Get that size **** out of your mind. He's a football guy who knows where to be and what to do when he's there.

Jaquan will have more TFLs than anyone on our team had last season.

Advertisement
So how does this affect McCloud?

Is he going to rotate with Jaquan?

He's going to play less, as he should. We're going to play more DBs, as we should. McCloud can play in spots: 1st downs against certain styles, blitz packages, etc.

It's the most sensical move we could make and not surprising. Once we lost Grace, Jaquan is legitimately the only guy I can think of who can do some of the stuff Grace was going to provide. People clamoring for Jamal Carter at that spot don't realize the amount of instinct, flexibility and change of direction it takes to play that Rover position.

Even in HS, it's a tough position because you're expected to read very quickly, get crushed by Guards and FBs pulling or leading, while at the same time getting depth down the seam and being able to make tackles in the flats.

Lotta action. Grace was perfect for it. Jaquan is closest to it from the players we have left.

We're still a 43. If the SAM/Nickel flips alignment according to formation strength, it's a 43. The 425 features a S$ and a W$ who align according to ball placement. The S$ plays to the field; the W$ plays to the boundary. They are locked into those positions regardless of formation or motion. All of this is done because the 425 is a sectional defense with split field coverage and two formation strengths--a run strength and a passing strength.

Everyone needs to stop using the term 425 in this context. We sound uninformed. The only thing 425 about this situation is body type: We're playing with two linebackers, three safeties, and a two corners. "Nickel," "42 Nickel" or something to that effect would work better in this context. Really, we are playing a true 43 with Nickel Personnel. The fact that the nickel is a safety or a corner is irrelevant. He's a DB. Nickels can be classified as their own position. Not all Corners have the skillset to play Nickel; not all Safeties have the skillset to play Nickel; and some Linebackers DO have the skillset to play Nickel.

Advertisement
[TWEET]773520386386518021[/TWEET]

4-2-5. I like the move

If he's at SAM... It's a 4-3

It is basically a 4-2-5. Last year at miss st diaz took a safety who was similar size to grace and put him at "sam". This isnt exactly the same defense he used to run. Its more of a hybrid defense. Grace was not being used as a traditional sam in the scheme. They were using him like a rover in the 4-2-5. That's what jaquan will be doing, basically being a rover.

We're still a 43. If the SAM/Nickel flips alignment according to formation strength, it's a 43. The 425 features a S$ and a W$ who align according to ball placement. The S$ plays to the field; the W$ plays to the boundary. They are locked into those positions regardless of formation or motion. All of this is done because the 425 is a sectional defense with split field coverage and two formation strengths--a run strength and a passing strength.

Everyone needs to stop using the term 425 in this context. We sound uninformed. The only thing 425 about this situation is body type: We're playing with two linebackers, three safeties, and a two corners. "Nickel," "42 Nickel" or something to that effect would work better in this context. Really, we are playing a true 43 with Nickel Personnel. The fact that the nickel is a safety or a corner is irrelevant. He's a DB. Nickels can be classified as their own position. Not all Corners have the skillset to play Nickel; not all Safeties have the skillset to play Nickel; and some Linebackers DO have the skillset to play Nickel.

This is not a true 4-3. It is basically a 4-2-5. Last year at miss st diaz took a safety who was similar size to grace and put him at "sam". This isnt exactly the same defense he used to run at texas. Its more of a hybrid defense. Grace was not being used as a traditional sam in the scheme. They were using him like a rover in the 4-2-5. That's what jaquan will be doing, basically being a rover.

Advertisement

This is not a true 4-3. It is basically a 4-2-5. Last year at miss st diaz took a safety who was similar size to grace and put him at "sam". This isnt exactly the same defense he used to run at texas. Its more of a hybrid defense. Grace was not being used as a traditional sam in the scheme. They were using him like a rover in the 4-2-5. That's what jaquan will be doing, basically being a rover.

You're actually both correct. WEZ's breakdown is technically correct. His description of a "Nickel" player is on point and this "SAM" position, as Richt alluded to, is really just a description given because most people are familiar with it.

From what I had seen, Grace was playing basically all over the field. It is not a traditional "SAM" position. He would switch based on boundary and ball placement. Diaz's adjustment(s) are probably answers to getting carved up by spread formation teams. I only got a small glimpse from fall practices, so I'm waiting to see more in games. Like I said after FAMU and before the season, I don't think we're going to see even half the defense until FSU.

Call it Nickel, call it a hybrid, call it whatever, but don't call it a 425. The 425 is a system, not a package. Teams base out of a 425. If you watch Diaz's defenses, they function like a 43. The only thing hybrid about his system is choice in personnel. You're wrong about how they were using Grace. If you watched the spring game, you would have seen Grace playing in a 50 stack alignment with a 9tech covering him up--that screams traditional 43. If Grace was playing as an overhang with a 6tech/7tech taking C gap, then you would have an argument.

I challenge you to do some research on how defenses operate. Check out how they classify positions, how they align, how they determine strength. When you have a true Mike, and you SAM/Nickel and WILL are flip flopping according to strength, then you're playing a 43. It doesn't matter if your SAM/NICKEL is 190 lbs. Again, I need to emphasize that the 425 is a BASE SYSTEM with unique positions and unique operation concepts. It is not a package.

Call it Nickel, call it a hybrid, call it whatever, but don't call it a 425. The 425 is a system, not a package. Teams base out of a 425. If you watch Diaz's defenses, they function like a 43. The only thing hybrid about his system is choice in personnel. You're wrong about how they were using Grace. If you watched the spring game, you would have seen Grace playing in a 50 stack alignment with a 9tech covering him up--that screams traditional 43. If Grace was playing as an overhang with a 6tech/7tech taking C gap, then you would have an argument.

I challenge you to do some research on how defenses operate. Check out how they classify positions, how they align, how they determine strength. When you have a true Mike, and you SAM/Nickel and WILL are flip flopping according to strength, then you're playing a 43. It doesn't matter if your SAM/NICKEL is 190 lbs. Again, I need to emphasize that the 425 is a BASE SYSTEM with unique positions and unique operation concepts. It is not a package.

From Fall practices, he was often aligned based on ball placement. D$ saw more action than I did, so he can probably better describe. But, we actually discussed this exact point from the little we both saw.

Nothing you've described is off. However, they were using that position differently than what I expected. And, like you said, it's a package within Diaz's overall system.

Let me add that it's more like the traditional Miami Over, though people use it differently nowadays, where the wide DE (usually in 9) is on same side of this "Sam" regardless of TE position. This player and Chad Thomas will consistently exchange C-Gap responsibilities. It's why Grace was so important and why Jaquan's tackling will be key. It's a big space and instincts are needed to fill it.

Last edited:

From Fall practices, he was often aligned based on ball placement. D$ saw more action than I did, so he can probably better describe. But, we actually discussed this exact point from the little we both saw.

Nothing you've described is off. However, they were using that position differently than what I expected. And, like you said, it's a package within Diaz's overall system.

Grace wasn't always playing as a 50 stack. In fact, that alignment only applies to certain formations and coverages. In some formations it's impossible for the SAM to align in a 50. The whole idea of placing a body type like Grace in that SAM spot is to eliminate the need for substitutions. The right kind of player can fulfill the responsibilities of a SAM and of a Nickel. I love what he's done with the system.

There are a few ways teams have gone about this trend. You see teams like TCU base-ing out of a 425 and having mirrored positions with the S$/W$. You've seen teams like us playing a 43 over type system, but choosing to use certain body types at that SAM position. You've also seen teams in a 43 under doing the same thing. One of the originals to do this was VTech. They do it differently than us. They allow that SAM/Nickel position to be detached from the secondary and linebackers--the SAM/Nickel has his own alignment rules that are not connected to any other position group.

Advertisement
Back