Jaquan Johnson should move to cb for 2016

brock

All-American
We need him to play the nickel corner position this year. He is one of the top players on our defense and needs to be on the field at all times. No sense in letting him sit behind Carter and Jenkins. Meanwhile if he plays cornerback it would bring a more physical, run stuffing presence at that position that we have lacked. This would alleviate many concerns on the defense side of the ball and buy some time until more talented cornerbacks from the 2017 class enroll at the u. Also Maleek young could step right in and play the 4th CB spot or battle with Mike Jackson who has good size at the position

Last edited:
Advertisement
I agree we can't afford to waste his talent on the bench. Not to mention he's probably our best option from a talent standpoint.

Seems likely he'll have to help out at CB. CB is our achilles heel. Hoping Young is ready to contribute right away, Jackson can help some and Redwine has a FR to SO leap in performance. If everything works out right, we'll be OK, but frequently everything doesn't work out right.

It's incredible given our location that we're so thin at CB.

I got the sense we are using 2 S + 2 CB + 1 rover (Grace) in many formations. Quan could be a good nickle option in spread formations.

I know he has (from all accounts) the intellect and instincts but does he have the speed to stay with most WRs?

Advertisement
We need him to play the nickel corner position this year. He is one of the top players on our defense and needs to be on the field at all times.

He's one of the top players on our defense?

Based off of what?

I know he has (from all accounts) the intellect and instincts but does he have the speed to stay with most WRs?

His instincts as a playmaker are key to his game. He finds the ball and makes a play. But, he is not fast. 4.7 40 when measured last year.

Putting him in as a nickel back covering the slot receiver would negate his strength and play to his weakness. IMO, a very bad idea.

We need him to play the nickel corner position this year. He is one of the top players on our defense and needs to be on the field at all times.

Based off of what?

Uhhhh, the same way Chad Thomas and Trayone Gray are top players on this team? Because we want them to be or think they should be? Tomayto. Tomahto. Perception and wishful thinking is reality.

Advertisement
I think Johnson offers some versatility as the coaches said he can fill in at CB, I'm just worried that he doesn't have enough speed to be an effective CB full-time.

Based off of what?

Exactly!!!

We have never seen him play CB..He's not the fastest to start with..I dont know about this

Don't you guys realize that the guy who doesn't play is always better than the guys who play at UM, according to our fans? Jaquan Johnson might, indeed, be the best player at UM since Sean Taylor, but we have zero evidence of that at this point.

Advertisement

Based off of what?

Exactly!!!

We have never seen him play CB..He's not the fastest to start with..I dont know about this

Don't you guys realize that the guy who doesn't play is always better than the guys who play at UM, according to our fans? Jaquan Johnson might, indeed, be the best player at UM since Sean Taylor, but we have zero evidence of that at this point.

He's most likely is better than Mayes and Jackson at that spot. And last time I checked Jaquan Johnson is one of the only players ever to make the all dade team for 4 years.. On top of that he has a knack for getting the ball and is a leader on and off the field

Last edited:

Based off of what?

Exactly!!!

He's most likely is better than Mayes and Jackson at that spot

Possibly, buy we have zero evidence of that at this point.

Advertisement
I'd rather give Ced Wright a look at CB if he doesn't redshirt.

Not sure we can afford to lose JJ at safety. Nobody behind Jenkins and Carter can be trusted as of now.

I'm hopeful that Knowles and Finley are ready to contribute.

Last edited:

Based off of what?

Exactly!!!

Got to try at this point if we don't land a quality CB transfer that's available to play this year

Exactly!!!

Got to try at this point if we don't land a quality CB transfer that's available to play this year

Tbh if there was a quality transfer out there he would probably be here already

Advertisement
Back