James Williams will be a cane

win. thats the strategy.
It would certainly be a start. But it'll take more than that to correct our issues. If it's gonna be Mandy long term which I think will equate to atleast 5 years (probably will be) than he's gotta realize all the gimmick **** don't impress the kinds of kids y'all talk about. It served the opposite role. It makes kids sit with their barbers and talk **** on camera about us. And FYI they ain't wrong. You wanna celebrate than you better earn that nonsense. What do we have to celebrate about? Cause we have what y'all consider an elite d(where we pile up stats against teams that are a joke on offense throughout the coastal and the girls YMCA of America) y'all need to stop with that ****. let's get back to desecration than we can celebrate. Until then I wanna see a bunch of ****ed off kids dedicated to their crafts. When Baez and Mandy and Joel ****** *** walk up to them with rings and chains punch them in they **** and tell em step. We gotta get back to real pride in ourselves not gimmicks. That's when elite and good to great kids will line up to get here regardless of the staphs **** evaluations and development (I had to throw that one in 😂)

Advertisement
The original premise though was about the NIL giving bag schools an even greater edge over the non-bag schools. My point is that the NIL has less of an impact on the bag schools that it does for the non bag schools. To put it another way, if tomorrow Jeff Bezos earned another 10 billion dollars, it makes no functional difference to him. He already lives with unlimited money. It's just a number. If you or I get 10 billion, that's a life changer (I'm assuming you aren't a multi-billionaire). As you indicated, the bag schools are pretty much the only thing going on in SEC country. A recruit can already get as much free stuff as he wants. At a non-bag school (esp in major media markets) recruits suddenly have an opportunity to make money, where they didn't have before. If you are a poor broke kid and you have the option to either 1) go to school where you get illegal bags or 2) go to a school where you don't, unless you really, really love the non-bag school I totally get why you would choose option 1.

However, if the calculation becomes 1) go to school where you get illegal bags and can make $$$ of NIL or 2) go to non-bag school in major media were you can make legal $$ of NIL, you actually have something to think about. It's like being offered a job you hate at salary of $1 million or a job you absolutely love at 750k per year. Some people are all about the money, others are about the fit. In terms of CFB, that wasn't an actual choice until now.

And to paraphrase another poster, I'd much rather have god-status in Miami than Tuscaloosa. When the Canes are winning, S Fl goes bananas.
I understand the premise that it is now letting us do a bit legally. However it is going to open the floodgates around the south.

One, you’re assuming 100% of people and businesses in the south are currently giving bags, so there is zero growth in those markets. Places that may not want to do something illegal or know how to partake in it have free license to do so now. And Georgia’s players or Alabama’s players actually have some value as marketing tools, unlike our players in Miami.

Two, yes Miami is a big market but so is Atlanta, as mentioned before. Companies in Miami want pro athletes and major celebrities to endorse products. It is a pro sports town. Atlanta is a college football city. People like The Falcons or Braves, but they LOVE them some college football. That is ignoring other cities around the south with big alumni bases.

Three, you are not even touching on the social media aspect, which cares solely about follower numbers and has no geographic ties. Greg Rousseau has 13.8k followers. Brevin has 22k. Tate has 250k but he is kind of an outlier between being on Netflix and going to OSU.

Jamal Cook has 42k and Tyrique Stevenson has 15k, and they hardly play. Zamir White has 50k.

Patrick Surtain has 36k, Dylan Moses has 22k and has never posted. Jaylen Waddle has 97k and Najee Harris has 173k.

Obviously some of this is driven by the position or performance, but more of it is driven by larger student bodies, larger alumni networks, more fans equal more followers. More followers equals more marketing dollars from companies without regard for geography.

Yes we have an opportunity to have some action in the game, but that is a small amount compared to what players at state schools will have offered to them. I am just not buying that Miami suddenly is going to care and have tons of businesses spend money on this.

It would certainly be a start. But it'll take more than that to correct our issues. If it's gonna be Mandy long term which I think will equate to atleast 5 years (probably will be) than he's gotta realize all the gimmick **** don't impress the kinds of kids y'all talk about. It served the opposite role. It makes kids sit with their barbers and talk **** on camera about us. And FYI they ain't wrong. You wanna celebrate than you better earn that nonsense. What do we have to celebrate about? Cause we have what y'all consider an elite d(where we pile up stats against teams that are a joke on offense throughout the coastal and the girls YMCA of America) y'all need to stop with that ****. let's get back to desecration than we can celebrate. Until then I wanna see a bunch of ****ed off kids dedicated to their crafts. When Baez and Mandy and Joel ****** *** walk up to them with rings and chains punch them in they **** and tell em step. We gotta get back to real pride in ourselves not gimmicks. That's when elite and good to great kids will line up to get here regardless of the staphs **** evaluations and development (I had to throw that one in 😂)

rings are stupid but Chain has all the top teams in the country copying or using another gimmick (Georgia with shoulder pads). But agree we need ****ed off kids.

I’m in the camp that says the NIL thing will make the bag schools even stronger. They can do all the crap they’re doing legally

I said this and some ppl jumped down my throat saying but Miami is a big market city that will help us sell. Lol.

Pls understand these bag schools have been empowered by the Nth degree.

Plus, most of these bag schools are the only game in town, meaning there’s no professional team. The school is the professional team. So thinking from a merchandise sale, alone, they are going to make a killing for “autographs & other likeness.” We are in amateur hour and these bag schools are in the professional business.

Advertisement
rings are stupid but Chain has all the top teams in the country copying or using another gimmick (Georgia with shoulder pads). But agree we need ****ed off kids.

Georgia Shoulder pads were around before the Chain. Bama has the belt. VT had the lunch pail. If anything, we’re late to this party too; it’s just our chain is much cooler than the other “on field” rewards.

I said this and some ppl jumped down my throat saying but Miami is a big market city that will help us sell. Lol.

Plus, most of these bag schools are the only game in town, meaning there’s no professional team. The school is the professional team. So thinking from a merchandise sale, alone, they are going to make a killing for “autographs & other likeness.” We are in amateur hour and these bag schools are in the professional business.
Exactly. All you got to do in cow town is buy Trevor Lawrence’s jersey and crap

First and most importantly, I'm happy that you are feeling better. My uncle got the COVID and it was awful (he was basically given his last rights and in a coma for 4 days), so I know that it's no picnic. As for the question- I didn't hate the Shannon hire at the time. I was rooting for him as I know he would die for the U and would do all he could to get Miami back. The problem is that he was new to head coaching, and much like Diaz, Shannon probably should have spent a year or two getting seasoned at a small school. The landscape of CFB also changed significantly around the time of Shannon's hire. I think that was just about when CBS paid the SEC an absurd of money for broadcast rights. I mean obliterated any existing TV deals. So suddenly the SEC was drowning in money and the programs exploded in size.

Miami was, as usual, way behind the times, and hardly put any money into the program- after all they were just a handful of years distant from fielding the greatest team in CFB history and were still national contenders a couple years prior. Shannon seems like a excellent person, but he didn't fit the bill for either coaching criteria. He wasn't innovative (he had stout defenses, but it wasn't anything fancy) nor was he a top talent evaluator like Davis. He didn't have the money to be Ed Orgeron and hire a top shelf staff. So pretty much all the indicators would point to failure. Golden was the same, dull and unimaginative, not a great evaluator. And Richt, well, he also believed in his RPO and had no interest in changing to adapt to high scoring football. To his credit, he opened the school's eyes that it had to put money in the program.

Lastly, I honestly don't think the Diaz hire was motivated by thriftiness. Blake James felt he had his guy and didn't need to interview others. It wasn't a case of Miami trying to find the cheapest coach, but I know others will disagree. It's far too early to tell if Diaz is a good talent evaluator, but I like the offers. Maybe his "innovation" is the portal use or selling recruits on NIL. So there is still the POSSIBILITY that he checks that box and has the one trait that the other successful coaches at Miami had.
Thank you for the kind words. Now back to football. I asked that question to see if you realized onion and Mandy were close to the same hire. They are virtually the same head coach yet onion was far better at talent evaluations & slightly better at development. People don't wanna hear it but the main difference is onions hire was nothing but giving up essentially. He was a hire we knew and he was cheap. That was the main cog. Alfraud was actually a HOT name at the time. Just came off of being named recruiter of the year,was considered a disciplinarian and was the most effort put into a hire in a while. Problem with alfraud was not enough thought was put into his scheme and the types of kids we recruit. His system was made for smart,slow and unathletic kids(the pedo states of the world)not for explosive aggressive kids that just play off their instincts. His system was based solely on thoughts and being able to process what you see before responding to where something SHOULD BE. It was all about reactions. You had to be brought up in something similar atleast. If mark didn't come along trestman was most likely gonna be our coach if not fedora. Both had several interviews and we're considered the front runners. Butch was building support on the board because of dimare and Stu but it probably would've been a losing effort. Mandy was not only another lazy hire but it was a move made solely because of greed by several board members. Not getting into that one anymore. Just think people should see this situation with eyes wide open. He came in like a snake while all the attention was focused on Mario & along with his father muscled his way into his position. Maybe in the long run the Manny hire would've been more inspiring but as of now this position is one he wasn't even close to qualified for. There's a reason NO ONE BUT TEMPLE WANTED HIM... Add that to the fact temple extorted us to get him back & it's even more pathetic. Not only did we give them 5 but we also have them a spot on the schedule. ****es me the fvck off actually.

These boosters and bag guys are basically able to write off what they were handing out in cash now. There is incentive to spend even more since its lowering their tax bill
Glad to know someone's paying attention. This allows us to legally get into the game but it still ain't nowhere close to a level playing field. Just allows kids that are REALLY motivated to be here to get incentives to push that through. But if it's still about just the bread first and foremost and we don't check off the other boxes we still won't get serious looks.

Advertisement
I like Manny 🤷‍♂️. He is far from a finished product as a college HC. I'm willing to give him this year to change my mind. I'm of the belief Enos didn't do what he promised/said he would do. Also, Manny and staff seem to be above average recruiters. How they do it doesn't concern me because the proof is in the pudding. Finishing 6-7 and landing a top 12 class is amazing. I also like what they're doing this year. Go Canes.

I don't think it really moves the needle for the bag schools. In practicality, there is a limit to the bags because it becomes increasingly difficult to hide ever larger amounts. You can hide 250k with smoke and mirrors (giving parents new jobs, drastically overpaying when they "sell" their house, etc) but if you give a recruit a couple million straight up, you will probably get caught. With the NIL, local media market will be the primary factor. Why not national media? Because CFB fanbases tend to be local. Is Joe Bob's Chevy Dealership is podunk Alabama going to pay some kid 250k to show up in a commercial? Possibly. But there are a limited number of Joe Bob's in that market.

On the other hand, there are 500x more businesses in a major market like S Florida. They might not pay 250k, but if you add up a certain percentage of them paying a more reasonable 5-10k to have players be in their ads, that crushes the amount of what the small market can offer. It becomes a numbers game. Sure a 5 star recruit can take a 250k illegal bag, then hope that Joe Bob will pay him 250k to be in his ads, but he has blindly trust Joe Bob. And Joe Bob will likely expect that the player will give him special treatment because of his largesse. There are no free lunches. On the other hand, if the Miami program gets smart has an internal marketing program goes around town on behalf of players looking for ad opportunities, the chances of striking it rich are much higher, and they don't have to be Joe Bob's personal entertainment.
It's no longer about taking anything illegal. Remember the whole lsu story with the churches? How bout Texas main booster owning 20 hospitals and hundreds of real car dealerships, Stanford,ucla,uga,ufag,etc the schools that have been able to monetize their network in alumni and fanbasea. Long time since. Essentially the diamond club. Well if you think these lil businesses In big city's can even factor into that assuming they'd even want to (which most won't by the way) you'd be wrong. Majority of businesses that can factor into that to create seperation have little to spare, especially in this economy. It's also vital to remember the transient nature of not only our city but also our alumni base. Locals aren't what makes this university run. Our base is foreigners and transients. Locals go to the cheap public schools with easy admission standards or feel free look how big of a base MDCC has... Sorry but that argument don't work here brother. Many other city's yes. Here no.

One of the easiest bag techniques is employed by car dealerships. Got an owner who happens to be a booster? You can offer the car to the family member who signs the loan, with the idea that the player will hopefully eventually pay it all off as an NFL rich man. If that doesn't materialize, the owner of course has the ability to just write it off.

Needless to say, that only scratches the surface of how this is done.
That's not so much how that works anymore either. Kids now get cars under there names at obscure payments and no interest rate based upon their Pell grants. The family members are the ones who get the hand outs.

Not celebrities now bc we suck. Back in the day, Canes ran this town. Canes football by far has the most power in Miami at of all sports including the Heat and Dolphins.
Not for a long time we haven't. You know how many calls I get from kids and club promoters or owners middle of the **** night cause these skids can't get in nowhere but the office or g5 & that's only cause of b mac.

Advertisement
Not for a long time we haven't. You know how many calls I get from kids and club promoters or owners middle of the **** night cause these skids can't get in nowhere but the office or g5 & that's only cause of b mac.
I know lol...because we've sucked for a long *** time. 17 years and counting?

I understand the premise that it is now letting us do a bit legally. However it is going to open the floodgates around the south.

One, you’re assuming 100% of people and businesses in the south are currently giving bags, so there is zero growth in those markets. Places that may not want to do something illegal or know how to partake in it have free license to do so now. And Georgia’s players or Alabama’s players actually have some value as marketing tools, unlike our players in Miami.

Two, yes Miami is a big market but so is Atlanta, as mentioned before. Companies in Miami want pro athletes and major celebrities to endorse products. It is a pro sports town. Atlanta is a college football city. People like The Falcons or Braves, but they LOVE them some college football. That is ignoring other cities around the south with big alumni bases.

Three, you are not even touching on the social media aspect, which cares solely about follower numbers and has no geographic ties. Greg Rousseau has 13.8k followers. Brevin has 22k. Tate has 250k but he is kind of an outlier between being on Netflix and going to OSU.

Jamal Cook has 42k and Tyrique Stevenson has 15k, and they hardly play. Zamir White has 50k.

Patrick Surtain has 36k, Dylan Moses has 22k and has never posted. Jaylen Waddle has 97k and Najee Harris has 173k.

Obviously some of this is driven by the position or performance, but more of it is driven by larger student bodies, larger alumni networks, more fans equal more followers. More followers equals more marketing dollars from companies without regard for geography.

Yes we have an opportunity to have some action in the game, but that is a small amount compared to what players at state schools will have offered to them. I am just not buying that Miami suddenly is going to care and have tons of businesses spend money on this.

You brought up a point I forgot to mention. This isn't an issue of Miami carving out a permanent absolute advantage. Eventually everyone copies a successful model- whether it's going into inner cities to recruit, the Miami 4-3, the single back offense- in time the big schools will adapt and they have the resources to dominate in those areas. It's a matter of having a small window to innovate and be ahead of the curve while the other schools continue to conduct business as usual. Eventually they will catch up and because of their resources probably surpass Miami, but then Miami just has to innovate again (as I've mentioned in other threads, I think the next frontier where Miami could get an edge is leaving the ACC and joining up other private schools like Baylor, USC, Stanford, Northwestern, BYU, TCU, and SMU to ink a big $$$ deal with streaming online services like Amazon or Netflix). The advantage that a small school like Miami has over a large institution like Bama is that, in theory, Miami should be more flexible and implement changes faster. Suppose Miami went out right now and created had a dedicated marketing team that was helping players land NIL contracts and build their own brand- in the "look at me" generation that would play very, very well. You know that dictators like Saban and Dabo don't want players who are bigger than the team. Dabo has said many times he hates the idea of players profiting from CFB. It's something that Miami could do right now to get an edge. Of course, in 3-4 years Bamas and Ohio States would drop 10x on a similar marketing team and Miami would lose the advantage. But at least a small window of time, Miami could do something that other schools aren't doing. And that's pretty much the same path that has made Miami so successful. Innovate, then when schools catch up, innovate again.

I care nothing about what other schools choose to do with their gimmicks. I agree in the beginning it was a good idea based on getting the brand built back up. However they went over the top and force fed this nonsense down anyone's throat that didn't have a gag reflex. When this school was relevant WE CHANGED THE FOOTPRINT OF NOT ONLY COLLEGE FOOTBALL BUT NFL AS WELL. We changed how the game itself was played and everyone reacted including the rules committees based upon it. That's the change I'm interested in. Schools follow this now just like radio and TV programmers follow along with crap music or reality TV,**** programming goes on because big business realized 90% of the world we live in is comprised of betas. People who can't think for themselves and need something catchy for their short attention spans to latch onto. Well one thing I can tell you for sure is athletes like we need are alpha males. We're not interested in following trends or being someone's gimmick. We create the trends the media and the betas crave...

Advertisement
You brought up a point I forgot to mention. This isn't an issue of Miami carving out a permanent absolute advantage. Eventually everyone copies a successful model- whether it's going into inner cities to recruit, the Miami 4-3, the single back offense- in time the big schools will adapt and they have the resources to dominate in those areas. It's a matter of having a small window to innovate and be ahead of the curve while the other schools continue to conduct business as usual. Eventually they will catch up and because of their resources probably surpass Miami, but then Miami just has to innovate again (as I've mentioned in other threads, I think the next frontier where Miami could get an edge is leaving the ACC and joining up other private schools like Baylor, USC, Stanford, Northwestern, BYU, TCU, and SMU to ink a big $$$ deal with streaming online services like Amazon or Netflix). The advantage that a small school like Miami has over a large institution like Bama is that, in theory, Miami should be more flexible and implement changes faster. Suppose Miami went out right now and created had a dedicated marketing team that was helping players land NIL contracts and build their own brand- in the "look at me" generation that would play very, very well. You know that dictators like Saban and Dabo don't want players who are bigger than the team. Dabo has said many times he hates the idea of players profiting from CFB. It's something that Miami could do right now to get an edge. Of course, in 3-4 years Bamas and Ohio States would drop 10x on a similar marketing team and Miami would lose the advantage. But at least a small window of time, Miami could do something that other schools aren't doing. And that's pretty much the same path that has made Miami so successful. Innovate, then when schools catch up, innovate again.
You really think this brand is a LOT STRONGER THAN IT IS. An independent Miami would be on telemundo basically. There is very little national interest in us for quite awhile. That's the biggest factor. You can't successfully market something no one wants. You keep bringing us up because you see us as a fan rather than anyone outside of that base.

Not only that but in Miami we're basically a third option among locals as well. How you think day and ufag got so big in our city? It's cause we've out priced ourselves from our locals except the upper class and our admissions or academic scholarship standards(while not what they were)are still not realistic to most. It sickens me how often I see ufag or fspoo **** all around Miami. Go to a **** sporting goods store other than a dedicated canes one & you'll see next to nothing of ours but fspoo or ufag everywhere... Miami has no footprint in Miami. That's reality.

Facts again

Alot of heads don't understand these kids man.

Advertisement
Back