James Williams will be a cane

Advertisement
Flowers and Chad Thomas were also 5 stars.

S. Florida usually yields 2-4 5 stars a year. The state of Florida is at about 6-8. Highly inflated since IMG became a thing.
Erek was a consensus 4 star. Think Chad and Tracy were the last consensus 5 stars we had. On average without IMG being in the equation we'd have 1 or 2 believe it was last year or the year before was none. But we're basically on the same page. Point was if you expect Mandy to consistently stutter into that equation it's just setting unrealistic expectations.

@dsddcane

Last few 5 stars are from awhile ago - I'm going to say the OT we got via transfer - Seantrel Henderson, Arthur Brown, Forston, Tracey, McDermott Donaldson, not sure about Duke. Conensus - I'd say Seantrel, Forston, and Arthur.

How many 5 starts nationally - without googling 5 stars per year and averaging them, I'm guessing 30 5 stars on average. I'll take the L on this one in advance, great question.

I do think there are at least a handful of 5 stars in S. FL every year, however, maybe not official due to fan base subscriptions. So I'll rephrase the 5 star post....Miami should be able to get 2 out of the top 5 S. FL prospects every year. Shooting 40% from 3 is tough, shooting 0% should be a fireable offense.

The biggest thing right now is brick by brick, do your job, and fight to the end, don't let up winning culture, lol. I have PTSD from last year's season and schedule. I thought 10 wins were automatic.
That was the point in that. We don't really even factor into that race anymore. We don't really factor into the top 50 or top 100 in the country in general. Far as just South Florida goes you gotta realize were being out recruited not just for elite kids but good to great kids in general. Our strategy is broke and something needs to be done asap to correct that. Looking like morons anytime we get in front of a camera certainly won't help though.

Let me correct myself because I just checked....

Forston had 20 sacks his junior season AND his senior senior.

Also, Forston wasnt a talent bust at UM. He had two season ending injuries (ankle and knee).

Forston was overrated as ****. Big guy beating up on smaller guys. He did have a quick getoff but was lazy. I still remember watching two games his senior year thinking this guy doesn't have the will to be great. Left being more impressed with his teammate (name escapes me) than I was him. Had a better junior year than senior.

Advertisement
That was the point in that. We don't really even factor into that race anymore. We don't really factor into the top 50 or top 100 in the country in general. Far as just South Florida goes you gotta realize were being out recruited not just for elite kids but good to great kids in general. Our strategy is broke and something needs to be done asap to correct that. Looking like morons anytime we get in front of a camera certainly won't help though.
win. thats the strategy.

I'm too tired for the rest. What did you think of the Shannon hire? Also while he's we were innovators we weren't saints....... Lastly the thought of showing kids what they can make under the new format SOUNDS great. However realize the football powers that ARE bag schools have that same argument. The real licensing plays will be at the football powers not only because now there boosters can legally get behind them but also because now their fans can legally get behind them as well... Not too mention this theory doesn't negate the fact BAGS SCHOOLS WILL STILL BE BAG SCHOOLS. Now they just get more lucrative for the kids they really want.

First and most importantly, I'm happy that you are feeling better. My uncle got the COVID and it was awful (he was basically given his last rights and in a coma for 4 days), so I know that it's no picnic. As for the question- I didn't hate the Shannon hire at the time. I was rooting for him as I know he would die for the U and would do all he could to get Miami back. The problem is that he was new to head coaching, and much like Diaz, Shannon probably should have spent a year or two getting seasoned at a small school. The landscape of CFB also changed significantly around the time of Shannon's hire. I think that was just about when CBS paid the SEC an absurd of money for broadcast rights. I mean obliterated any existing TV deals. So suddenly the SEC was drowning in money and the programs exploded in size.

Miami was, as usual, way behind the times, and hardly put any money into the program- after all they were just a handful of years distant from fielding the greatest team in CFB history and were still national contenders a couple years prior. Shannon seems like a excellent person, but he didn't fit the bill for either coaching criteria. He wasn't innovative (he had stout defenses, but it wasn't anything fancy) nor was he a top talent evaluator like Davis. He didn't have the money to be Ed Orgeron and hire a top shelf staff. So pretty much all the indicators would point to failure. Golden was the same, dull and unimaginative, not a great evaluator. And Richt, well, he also believed in his RPO and had no interest in changing to adapt to high scoring football. To his credit, he opened the school's eyes that it had to put money in the program.

Lastly, I honestly don't think the Diaz hire was motivated by thriftiness. Blake James felt he had his guy and didn't need to interview others. It wasn't a case of Miami trying to find the cheapest coach, but I know others will disagree. It's far too early to tell if Diaz is a good talent evaluator, but I like the offers. Maybe his "innovation" is the portal use or selling recruits on NIL. So there is still the POSSIBILITY that he checks that box and has the one trait that the other successful coaches at Miami had.

Erek was a consensus 4 star. Think Chad and Tracy were the last consensus 5 stars we had. On average without IMG being in the equation we'd have 1 or 2 believe it was last year or the year before was none. But we're basically on the same page. Point was if you expect Mandy to consistently stutter into that equation it's just setting unrealistic expectations.
You're completely right about Flowers, my mistake.

And again you're right about the amount of 5 stars down here per year. Went back and checked, and depending on the site these have been the 5 stars last 4 years. Averages out at just under 3 per year. And this year with 5 is really boosting it up.

James Williams
Terrance Lewis
Jacory Brooks
Leonard Taylor
Jason Marshall
Derek Wingo
Pat Surtain
Tyson Campbell
James Cook
Mark Pope
Akeem Dent

I'm too tired for the rest. What did you think of the Shannon hire? Also while he's we were innovators we weren't saints....... Lastly the thought of showing kids what they can make under the new format SOUNDS great. However realize the football powers that ARE bag schools have that same argument. The real licensing plays will be at the football powers not only because now there boosters can legally get behind them but also because now their fans can legally get behind them as well... Not too mention this theory doesn't negate the fact BAGS SCHOOLS WILL STILL BE BAG SCHOOLS. Now they just get more lucrative for the kids they really want.

These boosters and bag guys are basically able to write off what they were handing out in cash now. There is incentive to spend even more since its lowering their tax bill

Advertisement
I stop reading your after you said I'm complaining about Miami not getting Mack brown. You made that BS up. Mack brown is a better hire than Manny Diaz. That's it. Matter of fact UNC has made better hires than Miami has the past 15 years. Simple *** comments. These aren't directions on how to build a space ship.
Ofc Mack is a better hire he has pedigree even if he was 95. Can he get kids to go to UNC?....yup

That's all that matters if u can get a kid everyone wants to sign on the dotted line regardless of record

I have been saying this, but people prefer to live in make believe land. When the bag schools and their boosters start being able to legally (and with a tax write-off) bag these players, that won't help UM in the slightest. It'll just be an easier system for those schools to exploit. When Mercedes Benz of Austin and BMW of Birmingham start cutting $300K checks for "appearance fees" for athletes and calling it a "business expense," veterans to this game will know those deals were discussed long before signing day.

Just for fun, here's Forbes 2018 list of most valuable franchises:
1593701785003.png

If anyone happens to be interested, the link to the 2019 results is here, and there is some interesting methodology.

I’m in the camp that says the NIL thing will make the bag schools even stronger. They can do all the crap they’re doing legally

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back