James Williams will be a cane

Advertisement
U mention elite corners... Hahaha. Now go back in to your memory banks since you say the bar should be 2 or 3 South Florida 5 stars, when was the last time we SIGNED 1 single widely recognized 5 star. That rivals,scout & ESPN & 24/7 saw as 5 stars. Also just for ***** and giggles how many 5 stars you think there are in the entire country every year let alone South Florida to where the basic *** recruiting we do should land 2 or 3 annually...

Tracy Howard

I’m in the camp that says the NIL thing will make the bag schools even stronger. They can do all the crap they’re doing legally

I don't think it really moves the needle for the bag schools. In practicality, there is a limit to the bags because it becomes increasingly difficult to hide ever larger amounts. You can hide 250k with smoke and mirrors (giving parents new jobs, drastically overpaying when they "sell" their house, etc) but if you give a recruit a couple million straight up, you will probably get caught. With the NIL, local media market will be the primary factor. Why not national media? Because CFB fanbases tend to be local. Is Joe Bob's Chevy Dealership is podunk Alabama going to pay some kid 250k to show up in a commercial? Possibly. But there are a limited number of Joe Bob's in that market.

On the other hand, there are 500x more businesses in a major market like S Florida. They might not pay 250k, but if you add up a certain percentage of them paying a more reasonable 5-10k to have players be in their ads, that crushes the amount of what the small market can offer. It becomes a numbers game. Sure a 5 star recruit can take a 250k illegal bag, then hope that Joe Bob will pay him 250k to be in his ads, but he has blindly trust Joe Bob. And Joe Bob will likely expect that the player will give him special treatment because of his largesse. There are no free lunches. On the other hand, if the Miami program gets smart has an internal marketing program goes around town on behalf of players looking for ad opportunities, the chances of striking it rich are much higher, and they don't have to be Joe Bob's personal entertainment.

Advertisement
I have been saying this, but people prefer to live in make believe land. When the bag schools and their boosters start being able to legally (and with a tax write-off) bag these players, that won't help UM in the slightest. It'll just be an easier system for those schools to exploit. When Mercedes Benz of Austin and BMW of Birmingham start cutting $300K checks for "appearance fees" for athletes and calling it a "business expense," veterans to this game will know those deals were discussed long before signing day.

Just for fun, here's Forbes 2018 list of most valuable franchises:
View attachment 120519
If anyone happens to be interested, the link to the 2019 results is here, and there is some interesting methodology.
Not easy to make this list as a private school, my man.

I don't think it really moves the needle for the bag schools. In practicality, there is a limit to the bags because it becomes increasingly difficult to hide ever larger amounts. You can hide 250k with smoke and mirrors (giving parents new jobs, drastically overpaying when they "sell" their house, etc) but if you give a recruit a couple million straight up, you will probably get caught. With the NIL, local media market will be the primary factor. Why not national media? Because CFB fanbases tend to be local. Is Joe Bob's Chevy Dealership is podunk Alabama going to pay some kid 250k to show up in a commercial? Possibly. But there are a limited number of Joe Bob's in that market.

On the other hand, there are 500x more businesses in a major market like S Florida. They might not pay 250k, but if you add up a certain percentage of them paying a more reasonable 5-10k to have players be in their ads, that crushes the amount of what the small market can offer. It becomes a numbers game. Sure a 5 star recruit can take a 250k illegal bag, then hope that Joe Bob will pay him 250k to be in his ads, but he has blindly trust Joe Bob. And Joe Bob will likely expect that the player will give him special treatment because of his largesse. There are no free lunches. On the other hand, if the Miami program gets smart has an internal marketing program goes around town on behalf of players looking for ad opportunities, the chances of striking it rich are much higher, and they don't have to be Joe Bob's personal entertainment.

The easiest BAG technique is at the grocery store this I feel is most popular , first you make eye contact and basically anywhere in the store you can bag by the alleged transporter says , excuse me I think you dropped your bag , oh yes I see silly of me thank you young man or lady boom bag recieved.

No laundering needed just take it home and slowly absorb till you need another installment , I could absorb $250K very easily with just every day purchases no banking involved or big purchases.

I could knock out a quick $25K in the six miles to get home from work :)

But maybe 5-10% of those businesses in South Florida care, whereas **** near 100% in the south do. You are also going way, way too hyper local. Yea there may be 3 dealerships in Tuscaloosa, Auburn, or Athens. But there are a **** of a lot more than that in Birmingham, Atlanta, Nashville, etc. I mean, taking UGa and Atlanta alone, the two are maybe an hour from each other. This is not Miami to Gainesville or Tallahassee situation.

I live in Atlanta. This city is dominated by SEC schools and their alumni networks, and in the fall it is all anyone will talk about at work, bars, etc. It really is the capital of the south, and that includes college football. If you don't think a ton of businesses here are lining up to get Georgia, Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, etc. recruits marketing dollars to the masses of alumni living in the area, you are sorely mistaken.

But maybe 5-10% of those businesses in South Florida care, whereas **** near 100% in the south do. You are also going way, way too hyper local. Yea there may be 3 dealerships in Tuscaloosa, Auburn, or Athens. But there are a **** of a lot more than that in Birmingham, Atlanta, Nashville, etc. I mean, taking UGa and Atlanta alone, the two are maybe an hour from each other. This is not Miami to Gainesville or Tallahassee situation.

I live in Atlanta. This city is dominated by SEC schools and their alumni networks, and in the fall it is all anyone will talk about at work, bars, etc. It really is the capital of the south, and that includes college football. If you don't think a ton of businesses here are lining up to get Georgia, Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, etc. recruits marketing dollars to the masses of alumni living in the area, you are sorely mistaken.
This is like judicial Thunderdome
2 Lawyers Enter
1 Lawyer Leaves

Advertisement
One of the easiest bag techniques is employed by car dealerships. Got an owner who happens to be a booster? You can offer the car to the family member who signs the loan, with the idea that the player will hopefully eventually pay it all off as an NFL rich man. If that doesn't materialize, the owner of course has the ability to just write it off.

Needless to say, that only scratches the surface of how this is done.

I suspect you are wildly over estimating how many south Florida businesses, with no tie other than location to Miami, are going to shell out money to "high profile" 18-21 year olds. They are not good advertising. Nobody is buying a car because they saw a certain redshirt freshman in the commercial.

Also, those same business are less likely to participate in pass through payments from Miami alum and boosters that Joe Bob's Chevy will be willing to. Wealthy alum wants to pay 200k for a chevy Aveo? Great, that is 180k for Joe Bob's Chevy advertising budget, incidentally ear marked for 5 star recruit Tyroil Smoochie Wallace.

This will require the Miami alums that are local business owners to step up financially like a bag school, and considering they don't now, there is no reason to think they will just because it is above board. These kids aren't celebrities to anyone outside the nerds like us that follow high school recruiting, and lord knows we do not have the cult following of our own program that the KKK bag schools do.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my favorite pieces of crooting lore is Muschamp allegedly throwing and breaking an office phone after Howard let him know he was going to Miami.
I was baffled how that guy got another HC job after what he did at Fl.

I wondered why he always looked ****ed off, but then I realized he always looked like that because whenever I saw him he was losing a game.

I suspect you are wildly over estimating how many south Florida businesses, with no tie other than location to Miami, are going to shell out money to "high profile" 18-21 year olds. They are not good advertising. Nobody is buying a car because they saw a certain redshirt freshman in the commercial.

Also, those same business are less likely to participate in pass through payments from Miami alum and boosters that Joe Bob's Chevy will be willing to. Wealthy alum wants to pay 200k for a chevy Aveo? Great, that is 180k for Joe Bob's Chevy advertising budget, incidentally ear marked for 5 star recruit Tyroil Smoochie Wallace.

This will require the Miami alums that are local business owners to step up financially like a bag school, and considering they don't now, there is no reason to think they will just because it is above board. These kids aren't celebrities to anyone outside the nerds like us that follow high school recruiting, and lord knows we do not have the cult following of our own program that the KKK bag schools do.
Not celebrities now bc we suck. Back in the day, Canes ran this town. Canes football by far has the most power in Miami at of all sports including the Heat and Dolphins.

Advertisement
The problem we would have with our bagmen, is they would want the credit and popularity they think it would bring them. Everybody down here wants that spotlight. Look at luke and nevin.

I was baffled how that guy got another HC job after what he did at Fl.

I wondered why he always looked ****ed off, but then I realized he always looked like that because whenever I saw him he was losing a game.

good recruiter and defensive mind. thats about it

Advertisement

The original premise though was about the NIL giving bag schools an even greater edge over the non-bag schools. My point is that the NIL has less of an impact on the bag schools that it does for the non bag schools. To put it another way, if tomorrow Jeff Bezos earned another 10 billion dollars, it makes no functional difference to him. He already lives with unlimited money. It's just a number. If you or I get 10 billion, that's a life changer (I'm assuming you aren't a multi-billionaire). As you indicated, the bag schools are pretty much the only thing going on in SEC country. A recruit can already get as much free stuff as he wants. At a non-bag school (esp in major media markets) recruits suddenly have an opportunity to make money, where they didn't have before. If you are a poor broke kid and you have the option to either 1) go to school where you get illegal bags or 2) go to a school where you don't, unless you really, really love the non-bag school I totally get why you would choose option 1.

However, if the calculation becomes 1) go to school where you get illegal bags and can make $$$ of NIL or 2) go to non-bag school in major media were you can make legal $$ of NIL, you actually have something to think about. It's like being offered a job you hate at salary of $1 million or a job you absolutely love at 750k per year. Some people are all about the money, others are about the fit. In terms of CFB, that wasn't an actual choice until now.

And to paraphrase another poster, I'd much rather have god-status in Miami than Tuscaloosa. When the Canes are winning, S Fl goes bananas.

I think the more salient point is we are already getting beaten to the punch by the Joe Bob's Chevy Dealerships of the world... and that's with payments being impermissible, illegal, and not a tax write-off. Adding legality, a tax write-off, and some nominal advertising benefit to the equation seems more likely to entice those already demonstrating a willingness to pay players (illegally) without any such benefit.

Think of it this way: If you agree there are some bigtime bag schools (i.e., Baga, teh dAWG$, Clem$on, Longhorn Network, O$U, T-Money-Hillbilly, Ole Mi$$, etc...), and you agree they are currently outpaying whatever "incentives" UM is offering by a significant factor, then you are essentially acknowledging that individual boosters for those programs are outbagging Miami. After all, it is those boosters, by and large, that are footing the bag bill for the aforementioned schools.

Statistics like merchandise licensing (we aren't in the top 10) and monetary contributions to the program are telling, not because these statistics demonstrate the school itself has more money to pay, but because these stats demonstrate the boosters for those programs are more willing and/or able to pay. UM may have a good deal of wealthy or well-off alumni and/or non-alumni patrons, but it will always be a tall task to ask UM to match the contribution received by these big public schools with triple the enrollment. I would bet South Florida has more luxury car dealerships than all of Alabama, but I'd also bet the owners of those Baga car dealerships contribute way more money towards Baga than the South Florida owners contribute to UM.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back