James Williams.....2021 banana tailpipe

How about this, @Ethnicsands and @armandose23 - saw this today. Kid posted a tweet "opening up" his recruitment yesterday morning. An hour or so later, there were tweets from the regional 247 writers that perhaps that wasn't happening any more. Then there was this tweet from the kid again:

seems Franklin made a phone call to see what was up and "he saw the light"...

Advertisement
How about this, @Ethnicsands and @armandose23 - saw this today. Kid posted a tweet "opening up" his recruitment yesterday morning. An hour or so later, there were tweets from the regional 247 writers that perhaps that wasn't happening any more. Then there was this tweet from the kid again:

seems Franklin made a phone call to see what was up and "he saw the light"...

Not sure what your point is?

For anyone saying we have a chance because Williams is surrounded by canes; just remember that so was Evan Neal. His family even posted pictures outside of hardrock decked out in canes gear. And if I recall correctly even his uncle played here.

Agree. For people that have been around the crootin’ block, we all know how having a family of canes means virtually nothing to these kids.

For anyone saying we have a chance because Williams is surrounded by canes; just remember that so was Evan Neal. His family even posted pictures outside of hardrock decked out in canes gear. And if I recall correctly even his uncle played here.

Business decisions.

Advertisement
So your theory is we have ‘no chance’ with Williams because Evan Neal ultimately went somewhere else?

Advertisement
How is it sour grapes when Miami is still in play with his recruitment? I'm saying this now so it's the opposite of that. Sour grapes happens after the fact.

Not all kids are equipped to handle the 5* treatment equally. Some get complacent, others work even harder to take advantage. That's just life. And the coverage of recruiting has changed dramatically since most of those names you mentioned. Last I checked there weren't social media edits, respect my decisions and a barrage of 7on7 youtube content when Patrick Johnson was at Ely. The game has changed and it's doing these kids a major disservice.

Let's put it this way - if child film stars are notorious for flaming out then what's supposed to happen to Optimist legends who get treated like their **** don't stink? Something to monitor imo.

Where are the examples of Optimist legends that flamed out because they didn't work hard enough? From my perspective, the optimist legends that get passed up get passed up because the other kids catch up to them.

Sony was a recent child star who overcame multiple injuries. Our very own Don Chaney received an offer in the eighth grade and turned out to be everything that was promised. Amari Daniels not as much (still a P5 back who may go to a school whose winning more than us) - was that because of fame or because the other kids caught up? Dalvin Cook took full advantage of his fame at FSU and is a top 3 running back in the NFL - despite making 3 separate commitments, receiving less carries than a player he was better than, and leading colleges on a goose hunt for his services.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our recruiting history says otherwise. But things might change.
Dalvin Cook and his entire family say high as well as others.
You must hate being a Miami fan.

how about all the kids who came here who you ignore to focus on those who didn’t?

if your point is it makes no difference if a kid grew up surrounded by miami fans, you are just obviously and completely wrong. It makes a difference. It just isn’t the only thing that counts.

Don chaney says hi. duke johnson does, too. tracy howard does. Ereck flowers does. Mark pope does. Avantae williams does. Deon bush does. Sam brooks does. Frierson, scaife, gurvan hall, ivey, hightower, blades, there are plenty of kids we got who grew up around canes and it mattered for them. Kids who had good alternative choices, moreover.

I’ve been a critic of our recruiting for ages, but the problem aint the kids we are recruiting. Its the clowns the school has employed to run its program.

Advertisement
You must hate being a Miami fan.

how about all the kids who came here who you ignore to focus on those who didn’t?

if your point is it makes no difference if a kid grew up surrounded by miami fans, you are just obviously and completely wrong. It makes a difference. It just isn’t the only thing that counts.

Don chaney says hi. duke johnson does, too. tracy howard does. Ereck flowers does. Mark pope does. Avantae williams does. Deon bush does. Sam brooks does. Frierson, scaife, gurvan hall, ivey, hightower, blades, there are plenty of kids we got who grew up around canes and it mattered for them. Kids who had good alternative choices, moreover.

I’ve been a critic of our recruiting for ages, but the problem aint the kids we are recruiting. Its the clowns the school has employed to run its program.
Chill dude don’t get triggered. I’m well aware as you that recently that hasn’t meant as much as it should cause this generation isn’t as aware of our past and yes we’ve hired clowns. But we’ve gotten higher rated kids recently from oos while our can fan family sofla kids bounce.
like I said things are changing. But I hear you

Chill dude don’t get triggered. I’m well aware as you that recently that hasn’t meant as much as it should cause this generation isn’t as aware of our past and yes we’ve hired clowns. But we’ve gotten higher rated kids recently from oos while our can fan family sofla kids bounce.
like I said things are changing. But I hear you
Gotcha. But keep in mind, sometimes the conventional wisdom is wrong. This may be such a case. It is just not true that we have gotten higher rated kids from OOS. That is a misperception.

Take last year. Our top 5 highest rated kids on Rivals were all Florida kids. And 6 of the next 8 were, too. So 11 of our top 13 recruits on rivals were florida kids. And of the two non-Florida kids, one was a QB, which we should probably exclude from the analysis since we intentionally recruit that position nationally.

If you go back to ‘19, 5 of our top 7 recruits on Rivals were Florida kids.

If you go back to ‘18, 4 of our top 5 recruits were Florida kids, and 7 of our top 9 ... and if you go deeper into the class, 13 of our top 16.

See what I’m saying here?

These kids in SFL need to stop allowing their HS coaches so much control during their recruitment period.

No other area in the country has this type of set up when it comes to HS football and recruitment. These coaches need to learn their place and stop trying to control this stuff. One of the many reasons they have such a bad rep around college football.

Advertisement
These kids in SFL need to stop allowing their HS coaches so much control during their recruitment period.

No other area in the country has this type of set up when it comes to HS football and recruitment. These coaches need to learn their place and stop trying to control this stuff. One of the many reasons they have such a bad rep around college football.

It definately aint the HS coaches...HS coaches have more pull in other tsates than here. Its the hanger ons....add to it alot of these kids come from single mom homes...their moms dont know a thing about recruiting or sports and lean on the coaches alot.

But S.FLA has a "hanger on" "handler" problem not really a hs coach problem. Its become AAU basketball now down here with the 7 on 7 teams...

Poor example...Dalvin Cook was committed to UF of all places. Very seldom a s.fla commits to UF early and is an actual fan of UM.
Your more connected than I am. But I’ve heard multiple times even from his own words that he grew up a Miami fan and his family were canes fans. Unless he’s lying which is possible cause he puts us down any chance he gets. Everything from calling our stadium doak south and calling us “the little school down south”

Advertisement
Back