James Pogorelc, T, Virginia

Advertisement
Advertisement
Sorry but I am going to disagree. It's about a point of emphasis and whether coaches get involved in camps, etc. That being said there is some movement in the right direction. For instance, within the last 2 years, they started organizing 7on7 tournaments in Prince William County more formally. It was ad hoc games at Colonial Forge in Stafford County. Additionally, Colgan High School sponsored a football day around 2 months ago and the previous fall. That was a first with Division I/II/III staffs in attendance. Probably more Division I recruits in NVA this year than in quite a few years. Two kids from Woodbridge and two kids from Freedom will go to Power 5 schools for sure. Problem is youth football is dying in Northern Virginia. The Fairfax County Youth Football League is less than half the size it was now than it was 10 years ago. Lacrosse was always big but kids are gravitating to the sport because of perceived concussions from football.

My son just played in the big 7 vs 7 tourney at Penn State. His team made the championship and there are a few D-1 kids just on that team alone. You only named two schools in Woodbridge and Freedom, both in PWC. You didn't mention any of the kids in Loudon, Fairfax or even Stafford. That tells me you don't have a good grasp of all the D-1 talent between the privates and publics around not just NVA, but the entire state and DC. Not to mention the D-1 talent as you go south to Richmond and then east to the beaches. There is another school in PWC alone that has 4-5 kids that will go D-1, Stonewall. They have two that are national recruits but happen to be younger kids. My son plays at one of the bigger privates in the DC/NVA area. There are also some **** good VA kids who play at Gonzaga and St Johns.

The scene around VA is just a big confusing mix of all the private schools and the publics. Privates in and around DC/VA don't compete for championships with the publics. The league my son plays in is easily one of the best high school leagues in the country, with plenty of VA kids scattered around the league. Not just in football either, but all the sports they compete in.

I don't know if you have any kids that play football in NVA, but it appears you don't. I am as tied in to the football scene around VA as anybody.
Lacrosse has taken it's toll around the country, not just in VA. It has also taken kids away from baseball as well.

My son just played in the big 7 vs 7 tourney at Penn State. His team made the championship and there are a few D-1 kids just on that team alone. You only named two schools in Woodbridge and Freedom, both in PWC. You didn't mention any of the kids in Loudon, Fairfax or even Stafford. That tells me you don't have a good grasp of all the D-1 talent between the privates and publics around not just NVA, but the entire state and DC. Not to mention the D-1 talent as you go south to Richmond and then east to the beaches. There is another school in PWC alone that has 4-5 kids that will go D-1, Stonewall. They have two that are national recruits but happen to be younger kids. My son plays at one of the bigger privates in the DC/NVA area. There are also some **** good VA kids who play at Gonzaga and St Johns.

The scene around VA is just a big confusing mix of all the private schools and the publics. Privates in and around DC/VA don't compete for championships with the publics. The league my son plays in is easily one of the best high school leagues in the country, with plenty of VA kids scattered around the league. Not just in football either, but all the sports they compete in.

I don't know if you have any kids that play football in NVA, but it appears you don't. I am as tied in to the football scene around VA as anybody.
Lacrosse has taken it's toll around the country, not just in VA. It has also taken kids away from baseball as well.

My son was a 2-year starter at Forest Park when they were making state playoffs. He was also an all-state lacrosse player. I mentioned Woodbridge and Freedom because those are the two best schools in PWC and probably in Northern Virginia public right now. I also coached in FCYFL for 10 years and know many of the coaches in Fairfax and Prince Williams, or at least used to know a bunch. Yes, Mickey Thompson sends kids to Division I schools and Stonebridge is always top notch. So does Bill Brown. Massaponax has a nice program as does North Stafford. Brooke Point has very good teams. Yes, Stonewall has been a feeder for Virginia Tech. They were awful the years my son played them. I'm assuming your son plays at Paul VI. I don't really follow the Catholic League but DeMatha is always good. As a matter of fact, Tony Lily usually pulls a kid or two from DeMatha to Hylton...lol. My daughter cheers at Colgan so I still attend high school games.

No, he doesn’t play at PVI. They are exceptional in lacrosse and basketball, but their football program isn’t that strong. We looked at them but couldn’t get over the fact their football was a little weaker.

Dematha is in there with Gonzaga, Good Counsel and St Johns.

Advertisement

Yes lacrosse has destroyed my baseball pipeline.. My teams are mostly latino and black kids from dc.

Yes lacrosse has destroyed my baseball pipeline.. My teams are mostly latino and black kids from dc.

Baseball has been trying to get more younger black kids interested in the game. Perfect opportunity to capitalize on that. Although, I have also seen an uptick in black kids playing lacrosse. It may be a small upward movement, but it’s moving quickly. A lot of club lacrosse teams are putting on camps in predominately black neighborhoods to get their interest up in the game.

No, he doesn’t play at PVI. They are exceptional in lacrosse and basketball, but their football program isn’t that strong. We looked at them but couldn’t get over the fact their football was a little weaker.

Dematha is in there with Gonzaga, Good Counsel and St Johns.

I offered my son a chance to play for Paul VI his sophomore year, especially for lax. I was working for At&t at the time and their building was literally 7 minutes from campus. He had travel team buddies who went there. He also considered transferring to South County because his travel team coach was. In the end he stayed at Forest Park.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Baseball has been trying to get more younger black kids interested in the game. Perfect opportunity to capitalize on that. Although, I have also seen an uptick in black kids playing lacrosse. It may be a small upward movement, but it’s moving quickly. A lot of club lacrosse teams are putting on camps in predominately black neighborhoods to get their interest up in the game.

Good because what hurts lacrosse is it is primarily a prep school sport and it needs to be more mainstreamed. Also, there is limited opportunity for scholarships (similar limits as baseball) but most division 1 schools have 50 man rosters. Plus, the professional league is small and the players make little to no money. Mount Saint Mary's and VMI had interest in my son and he considered being a preferred walk-on at Air Force, but he is like dad there is no future so I want to go to Miami. Good luck with your son.

I offered my son a chance to play for Paul VI his sophomore year, especially for lax. I was working for At&t at the time and their building was literally 7 minutes from campus. He had travel team buddies who went there. He also considered transferring to South County because his travel team coach was. In the end he stayed at Forest Park.

South County has one of the better all around sports programs in NVA. They are competitive in everything.

Definitely could work

Advertisement
Not true at all. It’s in the mix. Lower end of relevant, but add in 4.0, and other factors, and football aside he is a potentially credible candidate, depending on quality of high school, type of courses, geography, income, extra curriculars, etc. His SAT is above the cutoff.
It might help if his mom pays the water polo coach to get the kid admitted on women's water polo....need a good Photoshop of the kid in a women's bathing suit and some long hair.

Advertisement
Back