Jamel cook question

We're going to see right away how good our recruiters are. This is the type of battle you have to go out there and win for a local creature.

Not really going to show much actually, he's pretty much all FSU, if we pulled him Id be surprised. Next cycle is when we'll see the results.

Disagree

This kid is in your backyard, is at your biggest position of need, has stated that his priority is to start as a freshman, and FSU is MUCH deeper than us at CB....

If the pitch is right and he believes in UMs direction under Richt, we should win this battle

Advertisement
We're going to see right away how good our recruiters are. This is the type of battle you have to go out there and win for a local creature.

Not really going to show much actually, he's pretty much all FSU, if we pulled him Id be surprised. Next cycle is when we'll see the results.

Disagree

This kid is in your backyard, is at your biggest position of need, has stated that his priority is to start as a freshman, and FSU is MUCH deeper than us at CB....

If the pitch is right and he believes in UMs direction under Richt, we should win this battle

Hes right tho its about relationships hes prolly real tight with fsus staff. If mark pulls him its a miracle, lutz is right next cycle is the true MR class.

Might be too late, if it was butch than maybe lol.(had to throw that in there for thread n archer lol)

Sales, my friend. Plenty of time before signing day. Richt will have had over 2 months to steal him. Gotta get **** like this done if you want to win again. No excuses. Get him, or you failed.

Disagree

Exactly. If you can't win this type of battle it's not a great sign.

Advertisement

Disagree

It'd be one thing if Richt was here all year. You can't underestimate relationships, he's been committed to FSU for awhile giving him plenty of time to bond with their staff and players. Richt just got here, Diaz just started recruiting Cook. Don't get me wrong it can happen but relationships truly matter. He's going to want to play for the coaches he is close to, and Richt only having a month doesn't give us much time to make up in that department. That's why you can't really judge out recruiting on this cycle, it's already so late in it, most kids have their minds set on a school by now. Next cycle when we can get to kids with open minds early in recruiting, is when we'll see more what they can really do. Trajan Bandy for instance. We need to lock him down.

Disagree

It'd be one thing if Richt was here all year. You can't underestimate relationships, he's been committed to FSU for awhile giving him plenty of time to bond with their staff and players. Richt just got here, Diaz just started recruiting Cook. Don't get me wrong it can happen but relationships truly matter. He's going to want to play for the coaches he is close to, and Richt only having a month doesn't give us much time to make up in that department. That's why you can't really judge out recruiting on this cycle, it's already so late in it, most kids have their minds set on a school by now. Next cycle when we can get to kids with open minds early in recruiting, is when we'll see more what they can really do. Trajan Bandy for instance. We need to lock him down.

NSD is 4 weeks from today.
Stranger things have happened.

Newberg and fsu fans were on their 247 site saying cook might not visit fsu. That is odd being that he is commited. They seem to believe if cook flips it will be to miami. Tfwiw but we shall see.

Advertisement

Disagree

Exactly. If you can't win this type of battle it's not a great sign.

Chiseis right though real coaches pull kids like tbis with two months left

Something about the way those Central kids handle recruiting makes me very leery of this. There was a smugness + condescension from Dalvin that I'm wondering if I'm recognizing again. Hope I'm just misreading the personality/situation.

He will get playing Time at Miami early. Safety is a NEED for us. Defensive back in general is a need. Corn Elder is the only proven DB for 2016

Advertisement
Something about the way those Central kids handle recruiting makes me very leery of this. There was a smugness + condescension from Dalvin that I'm wondering if I'm recognizing again. Hope I'm just misreading the personality/situation.

These guys just want to be the man. Dalvin wanted to be the man in Tally, and he got his wish. Can't really fault his decision in retrospect. We need to sell Jamel the same way.

"This city has been waiting for another legendary safety since Sean Taylor. You are that guy for us. FSU is building around Derwin James. We think you're better. Our defense is built around a star safety. You are that guy."

These guys just want to be the man. Dalvin wanted to be the man in Tally, and he got his wish. Can't really fault his decision in retrospect. We need to sell Jamel the same way.

"This city has been waiting for another legendary safety since Sean Taylor. You are that guy for us. FSU is building around Derwin James. We think you're better. Our defense is built around a star safety. You are that guy."

How "heady" is Cook? Is he a guy you trust back there running the show?

Cook should be Miami's 1A/1b target down the stretch. Him and ritchards

Last edited:
Advertisement

Absolutely. Central guys come ready to play. Look at Cook, Yearby, Darling, Bain and Nichols. They were immediate impact guys at the next level.

However, I think Jaquan is that guy for us. Hopefully, he wants to be here.

In the end that is what it will really come down to. Do you have any desire to be in Miami? Because that is the biggest decision for the kid. He can stay here and play half his games in front of his family and friends. And be out of the rough neighborhoods, in beautiful Coral Gables. Or he may just want to get out of the area all together.. But maybe there is much more to the sales pitch end of recruiting that I am missing. I think the sales end of it is feels to me more of an out of town thing. Like Tallahassee vs Gainesville. But they already "know" Miami. Now the question is, do they LOVE Miami? I honestly think that is why a lot of kids don't sign here. They just want to get out.....

Absolutely. Central guys come ready to play. Look at Cook, Yearby, Darling, Bain and Nichols. They were immediate impact guys at the next level.

I would have originally said No to this but because this is a new defense and every player will be new to it and starting at the same learning point, he could really come in and compete for a starting spot.

I have seen this dance before and I dont want to get my hopes up. These CEN guys love FSU right now and dont have faith in the hometown team. KThomas only left because FSU kicked him out.

If we do get Cook hopefully that will start a trend of these kids wanting to come to UM.

Advertisement
Back