Jalen Hurts visiting Sunday

Advertisement
Fingers crossed, I’d really like to see him come here. Would be good from a pure football standpoint but excellent to help start to drive a positive national narrative.

Just a note of interest on Hurts and Rattler and the other QB at Oklahoma, Mordecai. It seems from their OU Insider board this morning that we are giving Spencer Rattler more credit for getting a starting job there next season than the OU fans are. It seems like the general consensus is the plan for Rattler - who is arriving in JUNE- is to red shirt him , getting him in 4 games for experience- if Jalen Hurts goes there. If Hurts does not, it looks like Mordecai will be the de facto starter unless Rattler shows he can beat him out in fall camp or sometime during the season. Many of their posters seem very high on Mordecai. And if Hurts doesn't go to OU, Austin Kendall's status may change, too.

So more than likely Lincoln Riley is assuring Hurts he will be the guy all season unless he really has issues and sucks.

Good luck to Hurts having to look over his shoulder everyday next year. The first game he starts to stumble the OU fans will want to see what Ratter can do. Trevor Lawrence has poisoned the well for guys like Hurts. You dont think Riley will make sure Rattler gets his touches? He doesn't want a "Justin Fields" situation on his hands.

And posters will say, "Well, Hurts is leaving after this year. So Rattler will have two full years"..Well..How did that work out for Kelly Bryant? Bryant was probably going to leave for the NFL after this season more then likely. (good decision or not) Trevor Lawrence and his family didnt give a ****. They wanted Lawrence to be the starter now. And off Bryant went to the bench..

OU fans will have no loyalty to Hurts because hes not one of theirs.. It will be Bama/Tua all over again. Not trying to sound like sour grapes but I thought that was what he was trying to get away from?...Oh well. Close with Tate Martell and that is more then enough.

Advertisement
I'm not buying this BS. I don't know Spencer Rattler from a FAMU Rattler but if he was the #1 QB in the nation, hes not redshirting. Everyone saw front and center how that Trevor Lawrence situation played out. So now every hotshot QB and his family will think they can duplicate that if given a chance. He will get snaps.

What they think and what happens could be two different things. Kid isn't getting to campus until JUNE

Good luck to Hurts having to look over his shoulder everyday next year. The first game he starts to stumble the OU fans will want to see what Ratter can do. Trevor Lawrence has poisoned the well for guys like Hurts. You dont think Riley will make sure Rattler gets his touches? He doesn't want a "Justin Fields" situation on his hands.

And posters will say, "Well, Hurts is leaving after this year. So Rattler will have two full years"..Well..How did that work out for Kelly Bryant? Bryant was probably going to leave for the NFL after this season more then likely. (good decision or not) Trevor Lawrence and his family didnt give a ****. They wanted Lawrence to be the starter now. And off Bryant went to the bench..

OU fans will have no loyalty to Hurts because hes not one of theirs.. It will be Bama/Tua all over again. Not trying to sound like sour grapes but I thought that was what he was trying to get away from?...Oh well. Close with Tate Martell and that is more then enough.
agreed its got disaster for hurts written all over it. personally i think we get him but i would be ok with just landing martell.

Hi fellas,

I’ve been browsing this place for years and figured I’d join. Happy to be aboard.

Not sure how much merit it carries, but Cam Davis has been getting grilled with questions on his Instagram about Hurts and he is replying with such things as “Did Tom Brady run a 4.3?” & “Did the Steelers make the playoffs?” I’d post a picture but I’m such a n00b that I’m not sure how to adjust photo size to fit it in the post.

Sorry my first post was a **** one, regardless go Canes!

Everything I have seen since the weekend says the coaching staff feels we have a 50/50 shot at Hurts, haven't seen any indication that they feel the odds are any better than that.

Advertisement
Some of my thoughts:

1.) I totally get the appeal of Oklahoma as a transfer destination for any QB, but I keep telling people that IMO this is just a bad fit, for Oklahoma AND Hurts. Whenever I think of recent QB's who have had success at OU, especially Mayfield and Murray, it's just not what I think of with regard to Hurts' game. I think there's a very real possibility that he could start the first couple games for them, they realize it isn't working, and he ends up right back where he was at Bama - second string.

2.) This is one of the things I think could end up "Hurt"ing us in the Jalen sweepstakes....our O-Line. Our RB room is absolutely stacked, we have one of if not the best young TE in the nation, a WR corps with plenty of speed, skill, and depth, but our O-Line is ***. When you compare the two there's no question Hurts would have an infinitely better O-Line blocking for him if he picks OU. I think we could be better this year, but this is going to take time to get fixed.

3.) I'd be shocked if Manny/Enos aren't trying to sell Hurts on the fact he'll have an elite defense on the other side of the ball which will take a lot of pressure off of him. Man, when you're a QB at OU you basically go into every game thinking, "Ok, I gotta throw 5 TD's and we need 40+ points to win this game." That's a ton of pressure for any QB to have on their shoulders. Also, let's say OU is down 21 late, do you think Hurts is the type of QB who could end up with 50+ attempts because he's slinging the ball all over the field? Because I don't. That's why I've said from day one I just think this is a bad fit for Jalen AND OU. I like our chances here...

I agree with some of what you’re saying but why do you think any QB, much less Jalen would shy away from the “pressure” of having to score 40+ points while throwing for 50+ attempts and 5 TD’s? QB’s love to throw the ball and by and large are an extremely overconfident bunch. Especially ones that are looking to raise their draft status to get drafted high by the NFL. It you told the severely throwing challenge Maleak that’s what he needed to do to win games, he would tell you with full delusional confidence that he could get it done.

That confidence is also what makes Jalen think he can be just as good or better as Baker and Murray. I would love to get Hurts but I believe what is going to bring him here is if he feels that Riley is BSing him about his opportunity with Rattler there.

Is it though? Lose at OU then you’re the scapegoat with a short leach. Get benched at OU then wtf is going to draft you?

At Miami, it’s a win win.
1. Start
2. Taking Miami to 10 or 11 wins immediately adds value to your stock. At OU, it doesn’t.
3. If you lose at Miami, it won’t be your fault. Miami is 7-6.

I may be bias but Miami is a safer bet than OU.

I see it the exact same way. It's like being the guy who has to follow back to back to back HR. Anything short of a HR is disappointing. He should do well but Hurts isn't about to win the Heisman.

10-4 at Miami is an improvement. 10-4 at OU probably wouldn't be well received. They've only lost 4 games over the last 2 years COMBINED & won at least 11 the last 4 years in a row.

Being a game manager at Bama is the exact opposite of what he'd be at Oklahoma too.

Advertisement
I see it the exact same way. It's like being the guy who has to follow back to back to back HR. Anything short of a HR is disappointing. He should do well but Hurts isn't about to win the Heisman.

10-4 at Miami is an improvement. 10-4 at OU probably wouldn't be well received. They've only lost 4 games over the last 2 years COMBINED & won at least 11 the last 4 years in a row.

Being a game manager at Bama is the exact opposite of what he'd be at Oklahoma too.
Honestly feel like OU’s offense may shed a brighter light on his passing deficiencies and give him more “bad” film. On the contrary, from what I’ve seen in the Enos scouting posts, he’s an OC that can mask some of these deficiencies by making things simple on the QB.

DF2EF5E3-F41C-4BE7-927D-E822701DDF94.png

This was a hail mary attempt. Would have been massive if Diaz pulled/pulls it off but not going to hold this against him. If Hurts cant see the opportunity in front of him here where he can just walk into the QB room and own it...then that's on him.

Advertisement
From a, “I want to play in the NFL” standpoint, OU would EASILY be his best option for a few reasons:
* Lincoln Riley’s QB development
* OU’s offense showcases the QB
* Big 12 defenses are terrible against the pass
* Back to Back Heisman winners (both QB’s)

IMO

From a, “I want to play in the NFL” standpoint, OU would EASILY be his best option for a few reasons:

IMO

Sad but true. Really like this kid, hope it was at least hard for him to say no to Enos

IMO

on Riley's qb "development" of both Mayfield and Murray, both were masters of improv and taking advantage of when plays break down and making something out of nothing with their uncanny skill set. How much is that due to player development and not already inborn traits, to be honest? Both were obviously gifted qbs and put into systems that maximized their talents by Riley. I don't deny Riley's system is great for showcasing qbs. Is it fair to say the jury may still be out on whether he is an actual qb whisperer or not? What was Riley's track record of developing qbs at East Carolina when he was qb/oc coach there? Maybe I am off base but the guy could just as easily lucked out on two phenomenal qbs in a very qb friendly system that maximizes their God-given talents. Also helps he has an eye for that talent. That doesn't automatically translate to a great qb developer (working on mechanics, reading defenses, film study, etc.).

Advertisement
Back