Jalen Hurts visiting Sunday

Advertisement
Thanks for sharing. Wasn't it confirmed that he was back in Tuscaloosa late Saturday or early Sunday? I thought I saw an IG post of him in Tuscaloosa indicating that he did not stay overnight in Norman. If so, it runs counter to what the OU dude is posting. Can someone straighten me out?

that's what I thought. It seemed like he left from the way the OU mod wrote up his Saturday update. IDK what really happened

I get why people here are hyping up OU and why he would want to go there..
But no one is stating the obvious negatives of him going to OU:

1) Their defense is absolutely atrocious. He had a front row seat in the Orange Bowl Classic to see how abysmal that defense plays and how many big plays they give up. That kind of D would make any QB or leader cringe.
Does he really want to head there knowing he may have to put up 50 cause his team will give up 40 in many Big 12 match ups?

2) Texas is the team trending up. You would think that since he is from Texas that he would not want anything to do with possibly facing that team twice next year.

Advertisement
Miami is poised to have a huge year. Why any QB wouldn't want to be the glass slipper in that Cinderella story is beyond me.

I get why people here are hyping up OU and why he would want to go there..
But no one is stating the obvious negatives of him going to OU:

1) Their defense is absolutely atrocious. He had a front row seat in the Orange Bowl Classic to see how abysmal that defense plays and how many big plays they give up. That kind of D would make any QB or leader cringe.
Does he really want to head there knowing he may have to put up 50 cause his team will give up 40 in many Big 12 match ups?

2) Texas is the team trending up. You would think that since he is from Texas that he would not want anything to do with possibly facing that team twice next year.

1) Why does Hurts care about the defense? It certainly didn't hurt Mayfield's and Murray's draft stock. In fact it probably helps considering your coach knows he has to air it out all game just to get a W.

2) Texas had the 67th ranked total defense and 57th ranked scoring defense. That won't scare anyone away from going to play in the most prolific offense in college.

Producing two first round picks in the last two years, one of which was taken #1 overall, goes a looooooong way.

Advertisement
Two things keep me hopeful:

- He knows what he is getting in Enos. He knows about our defense. He will learn about our offensive weapons (probably knows some of them)
-
- the shadow of Mayfield and Murray vs coming in to Miami and being "the Guy". IDK if that concerns him or if he is confident enough to think he can be Riley's 3rd success story. They lose 4 starters on offensive line, too. Supposedly Dad concerned about that. I call the OL situation between OU and Miami a draw at worst

The big unknown here is his family, specifically his dad. Guy seemed pretty outspoken and involved during the "benching incident". Also wonder if he will discuss with anyone else at Bama.

1) Why does Hurts care about the defense? It certainly didn't hurt Mayfield's and Murray's draft stock. In fact it probably helps considering your coach knows he has to air it out all game just to get a W.

2) Texas had the 67th ranked total defense and 57th ranked scoring defense. That won't scare anyone away from going to play in the most prolific offense in college.

Producing two first round picks in the last two years, one of which was taken #1 overall, goes a looooooong way.

I see where you are coming from but people are making it seem like OU is the best place for him to go. If he is a smart leader as I think he is I believe that he may take into consideration the whole context of a team dynamic and not just focus on his offense and how it helps his draft status.

No intelligent QB wants to head into a situation where he knows his defense stinks. Period.

Every **** team is confident but Jalen hasn't made his decision. He is still looking into what makes the best sense for him. It seems like he likes us all. That's why he visited. But to get him to come to Miami, he needs to be sure this is the best situation for his personal, professional and business development moving forward.

Advertisement
I see where you are coming from but people are making it seem like OU is the best place for him to go. If he is a smart leader as I think he is I believe that he may take into consideration the whole context of a team dynamic and not just focus on his offense and how it helps his draft status.

No intelligent QB wants to head into a situation where he knows his defense stinks. Period.

Sure but they also don't want to head to a place where the program had a dismal offense last year and bringing in a brand new offensive coaching staff (Miami) or where there was a complete overhaul on the coaching side and the program is historically a mid-tier program (Maryland).

If we're being honest, Oklahoma gives him the best chance to win a championship next year while also improving his odds of becoming a first round pick.

Advertisement
Past performance doesn't necessarily mean future results. He'd have to put up comparable numbers and hope Tua and Lawrence have off years. He'd also be gambling that Heisman voters don't have Oklahoma fatigue.

Conversely, if Miami has a huge year, that goes a long way toward perception of ability.

Maybe it's seeing this through my fan glasses, but I see a lot of risk with Oklahoma.

Nobody wants Hurts here more than me, but landing in OU makes sense, from a business standpoint.
With Kendall in the portal, and Murray possibly going to play bases or entering the draft, it will leave 2 freshman QBs on the roster in Norman. Hurts already said he will go to the program that all but guarantees him the starting job next season. Again, from a business standpoint, OU makes sense. Would love to have him here, and I think he stands an equal chance of being the starter, but Riley's track record and OU's recent success as a program should be a concern for all those wishing for him to land here, including myself

except that he wont start there.

Sure but they also don't want to head to a place where the program had a dismal offense last year and bringing in a brand new offensive coaching staff (Miami) or where there was a complete overhaul on the coaching side and the program is historically a mid-tier program (Maryland).

If we're being honest, Oklahoma gives him the best chance to win a championship next year while also improving his odds of becoming a first round pick.

This leads to a different subject.and discussion.
Knowing that he is heading into the dismal offensive situation with a new slate and a coach he trusts can be intriguing enough.
And at OU he would have to learn a new system , a new philosophy, new terminology etc.

But we shall see. The point is there are negatives to going to OU and it is not all lollipops and rainbows.

Advertisement
Back