Jalar Holley decision

Advertisement
Daxon/Ingraham/Holley/Munoz is a solid A- for me. I think Holley is really underrated.

**** I'd throw in Mike Morris too and take him as a guy who can contribute on either line.

Honestly, that's my ideal 4 for this class. I'm not really sold on Fuller only because I think in the end he sticks with FSU. T. Davis is my wildcard. If he wants in, then the conversation changes.

Bandy wasn’t a 4 star, but Garvin was a 3 Star when we offered and he turned in to a low 4 star.
It’s okay to take a few 3 stars as long as you have over 50% of the class rated as blue chips. That’s championship level recruiting and each of the contenders in the playoffs have that threshold outside of Michigan state probably. Storm 18 was an excellent class and I think We will if we hit our targets

Bandy and garvin weren’t 3 stars. Now name the rest of Miami starters or backups you are excited about. Most of them are blue chip recruits

Greg Rousseau, Amari Carter, Dereck Smith, Jon Ford, Realus George...

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics. Yeah, blue chip ratio and stars matter. But this staff does better than 10% on its 3* evaluations.

Advertisement
Don’t pass on the big uglies from that clay dirt either.
Stop with the drop Daxon mumbo jumbo stuff. In south Florida we can always find De's but it is hard to big interior players that can run. An when we find very good ones there is a bag man bidding war most of the time that UM can't play.

We need to stack DT's when we can so if we take 5 this year so be it. The staff will make room by encouraging players to grad transfer if they don't perform well this year on the dline.

Go Canes
Don’t pass on big uglies from that clay dirt either. Daxon and Holey both have serious offer lists. I don’t care how many stars they have.

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics. Yeah, blue chip ratio and stars matter. But this staff does better than 10% on its 3* evaluations.
Clearly I said most of them were blue chip guys not all. And that’s literally 5 players now compare it to the guys you are excited about after the starters. Majority of them are blue chip recruits.And it ain’t **** lies it’s the truth

Last edited:
Stop with the drop Daxon mumbo jumbo stuff. In south Florida we can always find De's but it is hard to big interior players that can run. An when we find very good ones there is a bag man bidding war most of the time that UM can't play.

We need to stack DT's when we can so if we take 5 this year so be it. The staff will make room by encouraging players to grad transfer if they don't perform well this year on the dline.

Go Canes

I agree, plus we can always bulk up bigger DE's and move them inside. We absolutely need to always stack up 1 techs.

The last stat I saw was a rivals article from like 2012 that said 55% of 5 stars, around 20% of 4 stars, and 7% of 3 stars end up being drafted.
And it's hard to define "significant role" in this case. If your team is full of 3 stars of course they will have to play a significant role since you don't have the quality depth. Every championship team over at least the last 10 years has had at least half of their team consist of 4 and 5 star players. We were getting closer with our last class, but it's not looking so good so far this year.
The blue chip ratio is what I’m pretty sure you talking about. Miami actually is in the group now of teams that meet that standard. This class is filled with 3* kids and I’m not thrilled to this point but there is still time. Rankings don’t alwats reflect ability. 7% is low for these guys getting drafted but that’s partly because it’s a ton of them. We don’t need an NFL team. Just guys that we can maximize their potential and have them compete from top to bottom with the big boys. Obviously, it helps to have more guys that can make it in the league though.

Advertisement
It’s okay to take a few 3 stars as long as you have over 50% of the class rated as blue chips. That’s championship level recruiting and each of the contenders in the playoffs have that threshold outside of Michigan state probably. Storm 18 was an excellent class and I think We will if we hit our targets

Completely agree. If we avg a 90 on our class; I’m good. But we can’t have a class full of 3 stars

Clearly I said most of them were blue chip guys not all. And it ain’t **** lies it’s the truth

It's the truth, but it is utterly irrelevant. I care very little about general trends regarding 3* recruits and how few of them make it to the NFL. I care substantially more about how our staff's 3* recruits perform and the evaluations they are making.

Honestly, that's my ideal 4 for this class. I'm not really sold on Fuller only because I think in the end he sticks with FSU. T. Davis is my wildcard. If he wants in, then the conversation changes.

Yup. Obv I'd make room for T.Davis too, and if that would happen to be at expense of Holley...Well ok then. But I think Holley is good enough to take, and not sure we can afford to wait. Let's rebuild these lines after a couple of substandard recruiting efforts on the DL.

Advertisement
It's the truth, but it is utterly irrelevant. I care very little about general trends regarding 3* recruits and how few of them make it to the NFL. I care substantially more about how our staff's 3* recruits perform and the evaluations they are making.
This all day. That 7% number is really misleading also. I would guess that a huge portion of the 3 stars that end up being hits and eventually get drafted are from teams in and around the top 25 constantly. A 3 star going to Bama, Ohio St, Georgia and Miami are a different type of player than those going to FAU and Toledo.

There are literally 1 (1!) 5 star DT and 20 4 star DT's in the entire class of 2019. Not sure what the issue is.
This also, you’re talking about 21 kids in the entire nation rated 4-5 stars at DT. The probability of even 2 of them being interested in Miami is not likely and signing them even less. Evaluating talent is and will be Richts money maker. As it is with every coach in the nation. Until we start winning and winning big consistently, then Richts player pool won’t be so risky, like say Bama. When you’re picking from the top rated players yearly your bust potential drops significantly.

Advertisement

Rosseau was a 4* on Rivals. And had some elite offers. But yeah, he was a very difficult eval. An okay looking WR/Safety, but we wanted for an insane DE. That's a tough projection for most.
Carter had some elite offers.
Smith with a true 3* in every sense of the word. Middle of the road ranking, and no elite offers. If he hits, that's on the staff.
Ford had elite offers.
And George was a fullback. Yeah, he was only a 3*, but that's all fullbacks can be. There are no fullbacks with 4* rankings. Like kickers.

I think by in large, the statistics show you need a 50% blue chip ratio. Which we are actually on pace to get. If you are going with some 3* players, get ones that are being recruited by elite programs. I have no problem with a Malek Young 3* that was recruited by Ohio State and Clemson and Texas. It's when our 3* players are Robert Knowles, that we are beating out Florida Atlantic or FIU or some mid-level P5 school like Pitt for, that I'll worry. That was the Al Golden Special.

I'm glad our staff doesn't just recruit from the 247 rankings like you all want them to. They look for certain physical traits that they can develop. Call me crazy but I'd rather take an athletic, long DT then some sloppy diva of a DT that has that mythical extra star next to his name.

And I don't think it's fair to compare our current staffs evaluations to Golden and co. Al and his boys would take way too many kids that nobody else wanted. This isn't that. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I'd bet more then half of our 3 stars end up as impact players. That 10% is irrelevant for us because that includes the mid majors. I'd like to see the numbers for P5 schools.

Advertisement
Back