Jake Garcia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
All the old heads in here mad about a hashtag. It's Twitter, they know whatsup when they sign up and from the looks of it it's the other recruits tagging him etc. Let kids be kids.

And Sucked in 95% of Big games....

2014 year - freshman
+++Beat Duke (9-4)
---Lost to Louisville (#24)
---Lost to Nebraska (top 25 most of the season, 9-4)
---Lost to GaTech (#8)
---Lost to F$U (#5)
Finished 6-7

2015 year - sophomore
+++Beat Duke (8-5, ranked #22 at the time)
+++Beat Pitt (8-5, 6-2 ACC)
---Lost to F$U (#14)
---Lost to Clemson (#2)
---Lost to North Carolina (#15)
Finished 8-5

2016 year - junior
+++Beat GaTech (9-4)
+++Beat Pitt (8-5)
+++Beat WVU in bowl game (#18)
---Lost to F$U (#8)
---Lost to VaTech (#16)
Finished 9-4, ranked #20

This is not some huge defense of Kaaya, just an acknowledgement that his performance in big games basically mirrored the overall success of the team. Kaaya didn't really elevate the entire team, but he also wasn't the primary problem. His "big-game performance" got better as the team got better.

I would have loved to have beaten F$U all 3 years, but those were some **** good teams and I don't think Kaaya was so terrible or the cause of our losses. Keep mind, he is Miami's all-time statistical QB in only 3 years of play when ewe went 23-16. It's not like Kaaya piled up the stats in those 23 wins. Miami lost those big games because Miami was a bad team, not because Kaaya had bad games.

2014 year - freshman
+++Beat Duke (9-4)
---Lost to Louisville (#24)
---Lost to Nebraska (top 25 most of the season, 9-4)
---Lost to GaTech (#8)
---Lost to F$U (#5)
Finished 6-7

2015 year - sophomore
+++Beat Duke (8-5, ranked #22 at the time)
+++Beat Pitt (8-5, 6-2 ACC)
---Lost to F$U (#14)
---Lost to Clemson (#2)
---Lost to North Carolina (#15)
Finished 8-5

2016 year - junior
+++Beat GaTech (9-4)
+++Beat Pitt (8-5)
+++Beat WVU in bowl game (#18)
---Lost to F$U (#8)
---Lost to VaTech (#16)
Finished 9-4, ranked #20

This is not some huge defense of Kaaya, just an acknowledgement that his performance in big games basically mirrored the overall success of the team. Kaaya didn't really elevate the entire team, but he also wasn't the primary problem. His "big-game performance" got better as the team got better.

I would have loved to have beaten F$U all 3 years, but those were some **** good teams and I don't think Kaaya was so terrible or the cause of our losses. Keep mind, he is Miami's all-time statistical QB in only 3 years of play when ewe went 23-16. It's not like Kaaya piled up the stats in those 23 wins. Miami lost those big games because Miami was a bad team, not because Kaaya had bad games.
He lost the FSU game with, not only a costly INT...but a Stupid INT....Stats mean nothing to me with him...he was a Deer in headlights more often than not...especially in big games...and Big drives....And we've got people actually thinking he'd be successful in a Spread Offense...when he couldn't even get out of his own way in a Pro Style....Sorry, but I'm not impressed whatsoever....

Advertisement
He lost the FSU game with, not only a costly INT...but a Stupid INT....Stats mean nothing to me with him...he was a Deer in headlights more often than not...especially in big games...and Big drives....And we've got people actually thinking he'd be successful in a Spread Offense...when he couldn't even get out of his own way in a Pro Style....Sorry, but I'm not impressed whatsoever....

I'm not talking about the scheme, I was just addressing the point that he was a good QB stuck on some poor teams with bad coaching.

He was a mediocre QB...with more than enough talent to Win 2 of 3 FSU games...and others against ranked teams....
He also did enough to win some of those games. But when FSU has the best player on the field by far, your head coach is Golden 2 of the 3 years, and your defense is lead by Dorito 2 of the 3 years, it could definitely work against you.

The defense also blew big leads in both home games.

Advertisement
He also did enough to win some of those games. But when FSU has the best player on the field by far, your head coach is Golden 2 of the 3 years, and your defense is lead by Dorito 2 of the 3 years, it could definitely work against you.

No excuses....he froze in Big games at the most critical times....sure the Defense hurt us...but he STILL had numerous chances to either take the lead...and/or Win the games...

I'm not a Kaaya hater at all but you're spot on with this and I've said it 500x on this board. The INT in the endzone against FSU in 2016 absolutely cost us the game and was a completely indefensible decision from a kid that smart and that experienced.

Worddd.

The way we are chasing Garcia is kinda cringe. He's not this 5 star can't miss prospect.

He is your every year 4 star California QB. If he comes, cool. If he doesn't, we'll be ok.
I don’t think we are chasing him more than we chasing any other recruit , we pretty much got our class wrapped up and he is the last piece to it , and he is a QB ,a position you have to get every year.

No excuses....he froze in Big games at the most critical times....sure the Defense hurt us...but he STILL had numerous chances to either take the lead...and/or Win the games...
I do agree with that. That’s why he’s not solely to blame imo. He didn’t straight up win those games for us but I don’t think he lost them either.

And to that point, what others are arguing (and what I agree with) is that if you sign a QB with that level competency and professionalism (disregard scheme fit for a sec), he will win a lot of games the way the roster is constructed now.

Advertisement
I do agree with that. That’s why he’s not solely to blame imo. He didn’t straight up win those games for us but I don’t think he lost them either.

And to that point, what others are arguing (and what I agree with) is that if you sign a QB with that level competency and professionalism (disregard scheme fit for a sec), he will win a lot of games the way the roster is constructed now.
He lost 2 of 3 FSU games with an INT and shoddy QB play on games final drives...Sure the D was pourous...but not to reiterate, he FROZE with the game on the line...

This is what I am saying.

2014, we were staked to a 23-7 lead in the second quarter. F$U then outscored us 23-3 the rest of the way. We missed a FG late in the first half and Dobard fumbled a long completion in the second half. Kaaya went 16-34, 316 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT, comparable to Rapeis Winston's 25-42, 304 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT.

2015, we were behind by 14, Kaaya took us back into the lead in the fourth quarter (our first lead of the game), and then Cook killed us with two long runs to retake the lead. Kaaya went 29-49 for 405 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs.

2016, we were staked to a 13-0 lead in the second quarter. F$U then outscored us 20-6 the rest of the way (including our blocked PAT late, when Kaaya led us back to nearly tie the game). Kaaya went 19-32, 214 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT.

So let's review. We lost 3 games to F$U by 4 points, 5 points, and 1 point. Kaaya averaged 300 yards per game over the 3 games, had 7 TD passes, and only threw 2 INTs. One pick was as a freshman, the other came at the beginning of the second half and did not "cost us the game". Kaaya led two comebacks, one of which fell short due to a missed PAT, the other of which was destroyed by Dalvin Cook.

I understand we lost all three games, but Kaaya battled hard in all three games and we were poised to beat F$U in OT in that third game. This is not a kid who was gun-shy or who disappeared against F$U.

He lost 2 of 3 FSU games with an INT and shoddy QB play on games final drives...Sure the D was pourous...but not to reiterate, he FROZE with the game on the line...

Come on, man, just give the kid a bit of credit.

The first F$U game, he was a true freshman, and yes, he threw ONE interception for the game, it just happened on the final drive.

The third F$U game, his ONE interception happened in the F$U end zone with 11:18 to play in the THIRD QUARTER when we were up 13-3. If you want to say it was a terrible INT, fine, but come on, that pick did NOT lose the game for us. And the final drive SHOULD HAVE tied the game, if the kicker hits the PAT. And if we didn't let Francois and Cook run for back-to-back first downs on the next series, we might have had the time to win the game.

Advertisement
Come on, man, just give the kid a bit of credit.

The first F$U game, he was a true freshman, and yes, he threw ONE interception for the game, it just happened on the final drive.

The third F$U game, his ONE interception happened in the F$U end zone with 11:18 to play in the THIRD QUARTER when we were up 13-3. If you want to say it was a terrible INT, fine, but come on, that pick did NOT lose the game for us. And the final drive SHOULD HAVE tied the game, if the kicker hits the PAT. And if we didn't let Francois and Cook run for back-to-back first downs on the next series, we might have had the time to win the game.
Nah Man....I don't look at it like that...in the 3rd game up 13-3....a TD would have effectively ended the game....I watched him time and again get rattled (even as a Jr) and make ill decisions at the worst of times....couple that with absolutely No scrambling skills is a recipe for disaster...and please spare me with the "We had no talent BS"....then why were we comfortably up in several key games??...only to wither on final drives...or late in the 4th quarter drives...We had plenty enough talent to Win atleast 6-7 more games in his career with better QB play...I don't give af about his career stats...those are meaningless in the grand scheme of things...Kosar Won a NC as a RS Frosh...Dorsey would've Won a NC as a Soph, if not for some computer BS...

Nah Man....I don't look at it like that...in the 3rd game up 13-3....a TD would have effectively ended the game....I watched him time and again get rattled (even as a Jr) and make ill decisions at the worst of times....couple that with absolutely No scrambling skills is a recipe for disaster...and please spare me with the "We had no talent BS"....then why were we comfortably up in several key games??...only to wither on final drives...or late in the 4th quarter drives...We had plenty enough talent to Win atleast 6-7 more games in his career with better QB play...I don't give af about his career stats...those are meaningless in the grand scheme of things...Kosar Won a NC as a RS Frosh...Dorsey would've Won a NC as a Soph, if not for some computer BS...

I guess we are just going to have to agree to disagree. I don't think a 20-3 lead with over 26 minutes left in the game would have "ended" the game. Not against F$U.

By the way, I never said we had "no talent", I said it wasn't great talent, and it sure as **** was poor coaching. But I can agree with you on Kaaya's mobility.

I understand the micro-analysis of certain plays...but I just don't agree with it. Three consecutive years, Kaaya's play against a Top 10 team was consistently strong. And I disagree on your mix-and-match approach to critiquing Kaaya. He gets blamed for a freshman-year loss (game-ending INT) to the defending national champions, but the reality is that our defense handed over the lead, he retook it, our defense re-lost it, and YES, he had one bad play to end the final drive. But we were within range of the end zone because he moved us there. Twice.

Then, when he DOES have a great final drive (junior year), you flip to criticizing his early-third-quarter INT that did NOT cost us the game. Kid throws two picks in three years, leads 2 comebacks in three years, throws for nearly 1000 yards, 7 TDs, only 2 INTs, we lose by a total of 10 points across three years...and we're talking about the kid "freezing"?

I've seen shell-shocked QBs before. The last time Kaaya was on the field playing F$U, he led a comeback drive that SHOULD HAVE sent the game into OT.

Kaaya was **** good. Poor coaching, without a doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back