Jake Garcia thoughts

So happy we got a high quality QB in the class! It would have been a failure without one. And Garcia has as good a shot at being a bigtime BCS QB as any coming out of high school. He has the tools. He also doesn't seem to have the mental weakness we saw with Marve, little Olsen, Perry (the early years) and Williams. So there's a lot to like. Again, got to trust the brain trust in Lashlee, Likens and Justice that this kid is their guy.

Advertisement
Hate to be that guy but I wasnt blown away with the film I just saw, arm doesnt look super strong and he doesnt look as accurate as i thought he owuld be for a pocket passer, then again I loved Kosis film outta high school, so I obviously dont know **** about high school QB evals.

You're always that guy. But you're right in this case. The good news is that if you see his more recent games, he just gets better. So some of those highlights aren't representative of what we'll see in college. He's progressing well, and has good fundamentals.

I was one of the few people who commended the kid for wanting to compete and for his parents to make the sacrifice for him to be able to. I’m just not sold on guys who can’t run at the QB spot anymore. We can’t block anybody and until we do I’m gonna want guys who can run for their lives. Maybe Justice changes things idk yet.

garcia reminds me of colt mccoy. i don't think he has an NFL ceiling but a good program should be able to win a lot of games with him at QB

and not to relitigate brad kaaya's career again but he is the school's all time leading passer and performed like a star in big time games against teams like FSU and notre dame. he just happened to play for a coach who ran the worst defense we've ever seen at miami. statistically brad's career is almost identical to ken dorsey's. if that's what we get from garcia it will be a huge success, that's easily an above average outcome by any statistical measure you can come up with.

Advertisement
Hate to be that guy but I wasnt blown away with the film I just saw, arm doesnt look super strong and he doesnt look as accurate as i thought he owuld be for a pocket passer, then again I loved Kosis film outta high school, so I obviously dont know **** about high school QB evals.
I agree with you that the highlight film was lacking (whoever put it together left a lot out). I will say, I watched every game possible, and saw every throw he's made and there's a lot more highlight worthy throws. Some games he's completing at a 70% clip and still had a bunch of drops and poor route running.

This. I don’t think Garcia will be the first pick of the NFL Draft.

I doubt anybody thought Goff would at this point of his career, either.

He was a pretty low 4 star kid who didn't have a ton of fanfare.

By the way, I'm not disagreeing with you at all. I'm just saying more than any position in any sport, you really have no idea what you have in a Quarterback until real football games are played that count and really big, strong angry kids are running at them trying to hurt them.

My guess (and I'm an idiot) is that Lash sees him as a classic RPO QB - a kid that can make quick/good decisions with the ball and sees the field well. Not sure a howitzer is needed to run this type of offense. Look at King - barely throws the ball farther than 50 yards. In short, I think his arm is "strong enough", but we'll see.

Advertisement
I like That comparison of a Goff/Brad kaaya type of qb for sure with Garcia. He’s capable of running better than kaaya though for sure if need be so he’s not a statue by any means

Imagine if you will, a more mobile blue-collar Brad Kaaya that was well-liked and had the ability to inspire his teammates to give their all on the field. You have now entered the Recruiting Twilight Zone.

Supposedly Arkansas was close to getting Garcia to commit last week. We then offered Coley as a backup plan. The Arkansas boards mentioned this recently.

Since you mentioned ratings, I went back to 2011 and found every QB who matched or exceeded Jake Garcia's composite rating of 97.75. Here is the list. Any players who made the NFL are in bold:

Jeff Driskell
Braxton Miller
Jameis Winston

Gunner Kiehl
Max Browne
Christian Hackenberg
Kyle Allen
Deshaun Watson
Josh Rosen

Blake Barnett
Kyler Murray
Jarret Stidham

Brandon Wimbush
Shea Patterson
Jacob Eason

And here are the guys from 2017-2019, most of whom are still in college:

Tua
Davis Mills
Hunter Johnson
Jake Fromm
Trevor Lawrence
Justin Fields
JT Daniels
Dorian Thompson Robinson
Spencer Rattler
Bo Nix
Jayden Daniels
Interesting. Almost all of these guys have had good college careers at a minimum.

Advertisement
same here lol, wtf do I know its hit or miss with qbs. Loved Kosis film as well thought we got a stud but he was hot garbage

Since you mentioned ratings, I went back to 2011 and found every QB who matched or exceeded Jake Garcia's composite rating of 97.75. Here is the list. Any players who made the NFL are in bold:

Jeff Driskell
Braxton Miller
Jameis Winston

Gunner Kiehl
Max Browne
Christian Hackenberg
Kyle Allen
Deshaun Watson
Josh Rosen

Blake Barnett
Kyler Murray
Jarret Stidham

Brandon Wimbush
Shea Patterson
Jacob Eason

And here are the guys from 2017-2019, most of whom are still in college:

Tua
Davis Mills
Hunter Johnson
Jake Fromm
Trevor Lawrence
Justin Fields
JT Daniels
Dorian Thompson Robinson
Spencer Rattler
Bo Nix
Jayden Daniels

Just shootin here...but from that list...if I said "JT Daniels" as an upside comp...you'd say?

With that said, I know a lot of people would look at that list and say "wow!" but I can't help but think there is some legit slop there, too. Hack, Shea Patterson, Blake Barnett, Bo Nix, Hunter Johnson...yuck. What a spectrum of results, IMO. Everything from all-time great collegiate QBs to slop. Guys that were 3-4 year starter and contributors and tons of guys that transferred out (I count 13 of them transferring out at some point).

In summary...that list gives me no better idea of what Jake Garcia can or will do FOR MIAMI. Pretty crazy list with all sorts of outcomes. Spraying to all fields there.

Advertisement
God I hope King comes back. Doubt it. But imagine a QB room with King, Van Dyke and Garcia. That would be a sequencing you could build a dynasty on.

Advertisement
Back