Confirmed Jahmile Addae

I'm on your side when it comes to developer over recruiter. Pure technician is probably too narrow because some guys cannot communicate well. But, if a guy is technical, can teach, and commands respect, I weigh that combination over "recruiting." The truth is most kids aren't idiots. They want to go play for whomever is gonna make them the best. Well, at least the best players think this way. So the "recruiting" happens anyway.
This is where the whole Mike Rumph scenario comes to the forefront. By all accounts, he was a tremendous technician; however, his recruiting prowess left a lot to be desired (i.e. see the AH boys and many other recruitments that Mike was driving)

Advertisement
I don't believe that's genuinely at the top of their list. And, of the players I've spoken to over the years, you'd be surprised how clear-cut they are about wanting to be developed. It's a very plain, understandably selfish approach because the competition to their goal is so high.

Even if they do mention "winning championships," what more genuinely motivates them is attention, money, and a pathway to development so they can make even more serious money later. It just so happens the good programs group those guys together, develop them, put them in good spots (on the field) to succeed, so it may look that way via correlation. They're no doubt impressionable. But, they're not idiots in the sense of instinctually understanding who's going to develop them or not.
well, in college the teams that win championships are the ones that send the most kids to the NFL because of how concentrated the talent is so it's sort of a semantic distinction at the end of the day. go where other top talent is, play on national TV all the time, practice against the best, have your talent utilized, win championships, it all goes hand in hand. but the idea that technicians will get you more talent than recruiters... I think we've been there done that and seen how it's gone.

This is where the whole Mike Rumph scenario comes to the forefront. By all accounts, he was a tremendous technician; however, his recruiting prowess left a lot to be desired (i.e. see the AH boys and many other recruitments that Mike was driving)
If it's true he's a great technician, then he apparently could not communicate that value at all. Additionally, I'm not saying recruiting is of zero importance. Sometimes it seemed like Rumph didn't recruit anyone at all. I'm just saying developer over recruiter.

well, in college the teams that win championships are the ones that send the most kids to the NFL because of how concentrated the talent is so it's sort of a semantic distinction at the end of the day. go where other top talent is, play on national TV all the time, practice against the best, have your talent utilized, win championships, it all goes hand in hand. but the idea that technicians will get you more talent than recruiters... I think we've been there done that and seen how it's gone.
I think it's an interesting discussion, actually. Don't think it's semantic because we're talking about root causes vs correlation. I think the root cause is the program's value proposition. And, I think kids buy into personal development over everything else that becomes a byproduct of that development. And, we may both be wrong, but it seems Coach Cristobal agrees with me on that one.

Despite other concerns, I'm at ease knowing our program is led by someone who actually gives a **** about development and does nearly everything to focus on it. Of course, I'm completely biased and have admitted to it in the past. I left my former career because I believe my calling is Talent Development.

Advertisement
You want a guy that lands them, doesn’t develop them properly & affects future 5 stars now we’re back in a vicious cycle.

Winning, development that you can point to & money is how you get 5 stars…not some dude with a perceived silver tongue at some school that’s been irrelevant for 20 years.
Who was your pick?

I'm on your side when it comes to developer over recruiter. Pure technician is probably too narrow because some guys cannot communicate well. But, if a guy is technical, can teach, and commands respect, I weigh that combination over "recruiting." The truth is most kids aren't idiots. They want to go play for whomever is gonna make them the best. Well, at least the best players think this way. So the "recruiting" happens anyway.
Idk if there's a "one size fits all" for this debate guys. I think all of you are right, to varying degrees.

Example #1- Kids value getting developed over everything else.....then Texas gets two 5* kids on the OL instead of going to, say Bama who ANNUALLY puts kids in the league 1st round.

Example #2 - A&M landing all those kids, without open market NIL that doesn't happen. They still finish Top 10, maybe Top 5 but definitely not over the likes of Bama and UGA. The separator here.....$$$$$....not wins, not coaching abilities/development, not recruiting prowess....A&M is exhibit A showing that MONEY TALK$

Example #3 - A school like Wisconsin...super solid football development factory...one of the reasons why I clamored for us to hopefully pull the DC Jim Leonhard. You take a coach like that, and give him SEC/TX/FL/SFLA level talent and he's already a certified problem as a coach, give him the Jimmy's and Joe's and look out....problem is or question is, can he recruit? We don't know, and will never know. Is it because most kids just aren't willing to go there or is it because he can't recruit well enough to convince them to come get the A+ level coaching?

If you can't convince the kids to come get the A level coaching, then it doesn't matter how well you can coach because without the talent, your ceiling is capped.

Clemson is the only school thus far to win the CFP that we could argue had superior coaching over superior talent AND THEY STILL averaged out to about a Top 9-12 recruiting class range during their run, which means they still had to recruit at a very high level, fringe elite level, just to do what they did....which is nothing to sneeze at.

If I had to vote on this debate, it's close, I do value coaching, however, I'd say Jimmy's and Joe's 53% vs X's and O's 47%

**** it, stop making sense.

The nature of this board is that we all sit around and guess what we think is happening behind the scenes. Unfortunately, some of us state our guesses as if they were facts, so there are lots of arguments between people who have equally little idea what's going on but who are convinced they do. It's a lot like politics...how people feel about a hire has everything to do with how they feel about the guy doing the hiring.

As for why we can't sit back and enjoy, that's just not the nature of this place. It's kind of a shame, but we're unable to truly enjoy anything.

Having said all that, let's give chilling a try...

View attachment 177034
If we chill, what would be left of the board?

Advertisement
I complied a few cool stories about Addae coaching his cousin. This story serves as another reminder of so many variables can affect on the field production. Stars matter but aren’t the end all be all. Like Mario mentions this is a people business.

Here is a Canadian defensive back, who redshirted his first season at a FCS school, who finished his career with 23 straight productive starts in the big 12. Multiple publications considered him an All-Conference player.

Why is this relevant? Without the play of his cousin that UGA (and subsequently Miami) job may have never been his.

https://www.wboy.com/goldandbluenat...addaes-past-is-now-present-in-morgantown/amp/

Last edited:
I complied a few cool stories about Addae coaching his cousin. This story serves as another reminder of so many variables can affect on the field production. Stars matter but aren’t the end all be all. Like Mario mentions this is a people business.

Here is a Canadian defensive back, who redshirted his first season at a FCS school, who finished his career with 23 straight productive starts in the big 12. Multiple publications considered him an All-Conference player.

Why is this relevant? Without the play of his cousin that UGA (and subsequently Miami) job may have never been his.

https://www.wboy.com/goldandbluenat...addaes-past-is-now-present-in-morgantown/amp/

You cant be serious right?

You base his success off of the play of his cousin?

Keep digging!

You cant be serious right?

You base his success off of the play of his cousin?

Keep digging!
I’m completely serious. You are negatively reading a statement that is not negative. Addae saw WVU needed more DB help so he recruited his cousin. His cousin helps WVU put up great passing defense numbers in 2020. So did a few other WVU dbs who are not related to Addae. The following year Addae went to UGA. These are facts and a partial timeline of events.

I typed without his cousin he may not be at UGA. That statement does not take away any of his coaching value. It just says the dominoes may not have fallen his way without his cousin. I have no idea how good WVU backup safety was.

It is a bold and risky move to offer a scholarship to non heralded FCS transfer. Moreover, he did it with his cousin which could lead to nepotism allegations if it did not work out. Just this past cycle Mario and coach Salave’a passed on Joe’s nephew who will play football at Colorado.

I’d compare Addae’s WVU situation to Ed O recruiting Mike Peterson when Pete Carroll got the USC job. The rest of the coaching staff is trusting an evaluation from a co-worker who has the most knowledge on the recruit. Addae trusted his eyes and knew his cousin could play at WVU. He also has brother in the NFL.

As I stated in the post, I wanted to share that Addae coached his cousin. Additionally, on a Marco level stars are an indicator of success, but stars are not a prelude to success. Adaae’s cousin got in a more comfortable environment. This led him to perform very well despite a big increase FCS (T1) —> G5 (T2) —> P5 (T3) in competition level.

How you saw me talking about Addae taking his cousin from a 4-7 FCS New Hampshire team to West Virginia as a diss is beyond me. As I alluded into the post, it is not like Alonzo Addae was an All-American at New Hampshire. Two other safeties had more tackles than him his Soph RS year. I’m giving props to Addae for his evaluation and coaching of his cousin.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I’m completely serious. You are negatively reading a statement that is not negative. Addae saw WVU needed more DB help so he recruited his cousin. His cousin helps WVU put up great passing defense numbers in 2020. So did a few other WVU dbs who are not related to Addae. The following year Addae went to UGA. These are facts and a partial timeline of events.

I typed without his cousin he may not be at UGA. That statement does not take away any of his coaching value. It just says the dominoes may not have fallen his way without his cousin. I have no idea how good WVU backup safety was.

It is a bold and risky move to offer a scholarship to non heralded FCS transfer. Moreover, he did it with his cousin which could lead to nepotism allegations if it did not work out. Just this past cycle Mario and coach Salave’a passed on Joe’s nephew who will play football at Colorado.

I’d compare Addae’s WVU situation to Ed O recruiting Mike Peterson when Pete Carroll got the USC job. The rest of the coaching staff is trusting an evaluation from a co-worker who has the most knowledge on the recruit. Addae trusted his eyes and knew his cousin could play at WVU. He also has brother in the NFL.

As I stated in the post, I wanted to share that Addae coached his cousin. Additionally, on a Marco level stars are an indicator of success, but stars are not a prelude to success. Adaae’s cousin got in a more comfortable environment. This led him to perform very well despite a big increase FCS (T1) —> G5 (T2) —> P5 (T3) in competition level.

How you saw me talking about Addae taking his cousin from a 4-7 FCS New Hampshire team to West Virginia as a diss is beyond me. As I alluded into the post, it is not like Alonzo Addae was an All-American at New Hampshire. Two other safeties had more tackles than him his Soph RS year. I’m giving props to Addae for his evaluation and coaching of his cousin.
That's a long as post for justification. But if get it. You took a shot in the dark and had to make sure you were ready for justification.

I'm kidding.

I didn't mean to make it sound like I took your statement out of context, I just quoted part of what you said.

However, I disagree completely that the entirety of his success is based on a 'risk' he took on his cousin. Personally. I believe the guy has an eye for talent AND I think he's a good coach. I also believe that Kirby wasn't as interested in his coaching ability because he's an arrogant ****, but he definitely knew about the guy's ability to recruit.

I, am ecstatic about having him on our staff, because I think we have some talent in our defensive secondary, and I also think that we we terrible there last season, as a whole.

I trust Mario..if he doesn’t holds his weight then he won’t be here.
That's all you can say.
There isn't one hire that I would question more that the DL coach hire. It just almost feels like a stretch, to me, for some reason.

However, as a fan, all we can do is trust where we're going right now. There is waaayyy too much money flying around to feel otherwise.

Advertisement
Compromise Shrug GIF
OK, I'll play.

Let's hear the short list of DB coaches that are both ace recruiters and top technicians/developers.

No, we haven't ... at least not since Butch was here. And we remember with Coker's staff (which the first two years had top notch talent) how fast you can lose it.

None of this is to say that talent isn't important but you're only as strong as your weakest link.

No, we haven't ... at least not since Butch was here. And we remember with Coker's staff (which the first two years had top notch talent) how fast you can lose it.

None of this is to say that talent isn't important but you're only as strong as your weakest link.
Not to speak for the man, but he's referring to Rumph (bolded part)

Not to speak for the man, but he's referring to Rumph (bolded part)
He doesn't mention Rumph at all. He talks about kids wanting to win championships with other "5*s". The implication is it's merely a matter of collecting a critical mass of studs.

eh. kids want to go where they can win championships, play in big time games, play with other 5 star players, be put into an NFL factory etc. I wouldn't say that most kids are idiots but they're impressionable 17 year olds at the end of the day. if you put a bunch of 5 star and high 4 star kids on your roster, they're gonna end up in the NFL, most of them as day 1 and day 2 picks, and that cycle feeds itself. I mean, I'm not saying anything revelatory here haha

Rumph was brought up elsewhere in this convo ...

We need a guy who can land Cormani McClain (and others close to his level), not a pure technician. Jimmy's and Joe's will ALWAYS >>>>>> X's and O's. I'm not ****ting on technique, I'm just saying I would much rather have the guy who specializes in landing 5-stars over the guy who takes the 3-stars and makes them better. We already had that guy. His name is Mike Rumph. I want the guy who lands Pat Surtain, not coaches him in HS and watches him go elsewhere.

which you jumped into.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back