Jaelan Phillips-5 Star UCLA transfer

Advertisement
Advertisement
It's obvious he wants us but do we want him? The medical background scares me but he's the type of kid you take a chance with.

We have roster spots and if the medical issues become career ending, he can retire from football, we can continue to allow him to go to school for free and he would no longer count as a scholarship against the football team.

Chad Thomas was a borderline 5.star. Willis was a 5 star and clearly deserved it. Our defenses have been talented.

Without Willis this year I think we see a slight drop off even if we get all these guys from the portal. That kid was THE disruptive force last season.
As good as Willis played last year, I think Nesta has a higher ceiling and will pick up right where Willis left off.

We have roster spots and if the medical issues become career ending, he can retire from football, we can continue to allow him to go to school for free and he would no longer count as a scholarship against the football team.
i think the medical issues are overblown. two concussions doesn't seem like a lot. also last season he might have been sitting out due to problems with chip kelley.

just read he is also considering USC or Stanford. i wonder where they stand in this situation.

I would take him AND Hill and forget about Bogle honestly. This kid at worst gives us what Patchan does. I think he is better than Patchan who i like as well.

When guys like this are available..like Hill and him...you HAVE to get involved. Even if he has to sit a year im good with it allows him to heal up and add weight.

Of the 3 u mentioned only Hill play a lot next season.
Phillips has to sit out a year and Bogle is too thin to contribute a lot next season. Now u take all 3. We’re not in the business to not keepnafter Bogle.

Advertisement
i think the medical issues are overblown. two concussions doesn't seem like a lot. also last season he might have been sitting out due to problems with chip kelley.

just read he is also considering USC or Stanford. i wonder where they stand in this situation.

Haven't been keeping up with this thread. So Phillips stopped playing ball because he got two concussions? Was that an order given by UCLA's medical staff or was that a decision he made himself?

As good as Willis played last year, I think Nesta has a higher ceiling and will pick up right where Willis left off.

You are in for a rude awakening. Willis was a 5th year senior. Nasty will be in his 2nd year. DT is one of the toughest positions to make a splash early. However, if we get the UCLA kid to start alongside him and Bethel, Ford and Miller can be anything above JAGS, I'm feeling good about our inside DL.

You are in for a rude awakening. Willis was a 5th year senior. Nasty will be in his 2nd year. DT is one of the toughest positions to make a splash early. However, if we get the UCLA kid to start alongside him and Bethel, Ford and Miller can be anything above JAGS, I'm feeling good about our inside DL.
Tito did work too. Interior DL will regress.

Advertisement

Ya, the age difference is huge with Willis and Nesta.

I do expect Nesta to have success and we should have enough age with Bethel, Nnoruka and even Ford.

Dub was not just great but he was a legit NFL dt in a college uniform and I can't see Nesta being that at least next season because you have to be a truw animal inside to win but you're right id eveybody else does their job we won't drop off too much

Advertisement

While I am 100% with you on the bold part, there are a few exceptions. The real elite talents sometimes play early and excel early. Maybe Nesta is more Dexter Lawrence than the norm. We could be surprised. He definitely has the attitude and tenacity to succeed there. Could go either way.

Ya, the age difference is huge with Willis and Nesta.

I do expect Nesta to have success and we should have enough age with Bethel, Nnoruka and even Ford.

It sucks to see "even Ford" being written. That kid has a world of talent and seemed to have the drive to excel when he arrived. Don't know how he's become such an afterthought.

Advertisement
Back