Jadon Haselwood decommits from Georgia

Advertisement
Advertisement
Projecting success for a QB in the NFL is the biggest question mark of any position.

In terms of development at QB, OU is the better position. I wasn't speaking strictly on QB development, not receiver. OU has put up back-to-back Heisman QBs. That's development. The NFL doesn't have one particular school or conference that funnels QBs in regularly, it's never been that way, it never will be. Darnold's a turnover machine and in year 1, he's displaying the same faults now that he did in USC. Baker and Mahomes are tearing it up right now; Baker also is doing that with a young Cleveland roster. You can't compare the two to previous Big 12 QBs. That's the same as Miami hinging their QB success at the next level to Jameis Winston, Deshan Watson, and Mitchell Trubisky. We had nothing to do with those respective QBs.
OU is not better for QB development, just because a school has back to back heisman winners at QB, does not mean that they have or will have a good track record for developing QBs. The main reason why Josh Rosen was labeled the “most NFL ready” QB last draft and not Baker Mayfield, is because of the Pro-style offense he ran while at UCLA, more drop backs, intermediate passing etc etc. You’re right that the NFL doesn’t have one particular conference or school to funnel regularly, but if there’s one conference where your body of work will be question, where scouts will have to watch EXTRA film...it’s the big12, again because they have a reputation of lighting it up in college and flaming out. Now Pat Mahomes is the exception, like I said to another poster, Pat Mahomes and even some aspects of Baker Mayfield are once in a generation, I believe those two would light it up no matter what conference they play in or what team they’re drafted by. Pat Mahomes Arm is the best since probably Brett Farve, but again they’re the exception not the consensus. If you want to see how ridiculously inflated big12 numbers tend to be, just look at the combined numbers for last year top 4 passing leaders and this years passing leaders from the big 12
2017 top 4 Big12 passing leaders combined for
16,984 passing yards, 143 TDs, 37 INTs

2018 top 4 Big12 passing leaders combined for
14,682 passing yards, 130 TDs, 31 INTs
and if you combined last year top 4 with this year top 4 that’s 31,666 passing yards, 273 TDs, 68 interceptions split between 7 players (Will Grier 2x)
That’s more than some conferences combined in the last 5 years. So if Fields goes to OU, he’ll have insane statistical numbers but unless he’s Pat Mahomes or Baker Mayfield level of talent, he won’t be developed as good as he would if he played in a pro-style system. If I’m fields I’d rather be Desuan Watson than Mason Rudolph.

Man I would love to land Fields. But taking off the Canes shades for a second, it really makes no sense. He didn’t show a bit of interest in us last cycle. But now, after our amazing 7-5 season and watching our offense (looking at you especially, OL) sputter week in and week out, he’s supposed to want to come here? Again, not trying to be a downer. Just being a realist for a minute.

Advertisement
OU is not better for QB development, just because a school has back to back heisman winners at QB, does not mean that they have or will have a good track record for developing QBs. The main reason why Josh Rosen was labeled the “most NFL ready” QB last draft and not Baker Mayfield, is because of the Pro-style offense he ran while at UCLA, more drop backs, intermediate passing etc etc. You’re right that the NFL doesn’t have one particular conference or school to funnel regularly, but if there’s one conference where your body of work will be question, where scouts will have to watch EXTRA film...it’s the big12, again because they have a reputation of lighting it up in college and flaming out. Now Pat Mahomes is the exception, like I said to another poster, Pat Mahomes and even some aspects of Baker Mayfield are once in a generation, I believe those two would light it up no matter what conference they play in or what team they’re drafted by. Pat Mahomes Arm is the best since probably Brett Farve, but again they’re the exception not the consensus. If you want to see how ridiculously inflated big12 numbers tend to be, just look at the combined numbers for last year top 4 passing leaders and this years passing leaders from the big 12
2017 top 4 Big12 passing leaders combined for
16,984 passing yards, 143 TDs, 37 INTs

2018 top 4 Big12 passing leaders combined for
14,682 passing yards, 130 TDs, 31 INTs
and if you combined last year top 4 with this year top 4 that’s 31,666 passing yards, 273 TDs, 68 interceptions split between 7 players (Will Grier 2x)
That’s more than some conferences combined in the last 5 years. So if Fields goes to OU, he’ll have insane statistical numbers but unless he’s Pat Mahomes or Baker Mayfield level of talent, he won’t be developed as good as he would if he played in a pro-style system. If I’m fields I’d rather be Desuan Watson, than to be like Mason Rudolph.

So of all the most likely destinations, where do you feel Fields would be best developed? And also, for Fields, I guarantee he's looking at Riley given that he's had the past 2 Heisman trophy winners. Whether Riley will be there long term is a whole another discussion.

Man I would love to land Fields. But taking off the Canes shades for a second, it really makes no sense. He didn’t show a bit of interest in us last cycle. But now, after our amazing 7-5 season and watching our offense (looking at you especially, OL) sputter week in and week out, he’s supposed to want to come here? Again, not trying to be a downer. Just being a realist for a minute.

Things change when you're a transfer. He went to UGA because of the season they had most likely.

Now, he wants playing time more than anything and a chance to succeed. Miami does offer PT as Perry's nowhere near a sure thing. Now, whether he's considering Miami is entirely different.

The biggest "Ace" in the history of recruiting! Fields AND Haselwood.......AND Matt Canada!

Thanks DeeJay! Master of the LONG game!

Advertisement
Apparently there is some chatter out there now that Ohio State May be bringing in Quincy Avery as a QB coach. He is Haskins coach as well as Justin Fields and Jarren Williams. And Emory Jones, the UF freshman QB. Maybe that’s why Fields is being linked with OSU too
One of the individuals you mentioned would end up there...

Advertisement
Here’s an actual update from this am, I was told that Uga is done, it’s Mia and Ou. Fields is pushing kids away. Even though JH was never as big on Uga as most thought.

I’d say it’s 50/50 but ou is trending up. Especially with the Fields rumors.

That’s all my fake insidering today. I could possibly change my cribbystalball.

Is that how it works?

Does Fields have any interest in us?

So of all the most likely destinations, where do you feel Fields would be best developed? And also, for Fields, I guarantee he's looking at Riley given that he's had the past 2 Heisman trophy winners. Whether Riley will be there long term is a whole another discussion.
Given Fields natural talent, any school in America would benefit greatly from having him on their roster, even Alabama & Clemson, but if we’re looking at realistic destinations, then the list of schools in no order would be Miami, OSU, Penn State, FSU (If Briles is hired), Auburn (If Dilly calls plays) and maybe add a pac12 school in there like UCLA. If Fields were to transfer to Miami, he’ll probably win the starting job, he’s got Kosi beat on the mental side, and he’s more athletically gifted and a more natural passer than a Raw Jwill, he can run the RPO offense just as Richt would want it ran, but IMO what would make Fields even more dangerous would be to get him an OC/QB coach who’s last name isn’t Richt, with his natural talent, he’s future heisman, with an innovative OC, he’s future heisman and future #1 overall. Funny how Richt would essentially revive his career if he lands this kid, fires his son, and hires a top OC.

Given Fields natural talent, any school in America would benefit greatly from having him on their roster, even Alabama & Clemson, but if we’re looking at realistic destinations, then the list of schools in no order would be Miami, OSU, Penn State, FSU (If Briles is hired), Auburn (If Dilly calls plays) and maybe add a pac12 school in there like UCLA. If Fields were to transfer to Miami, he’ll probably win the starting job, he’s got Kosi beat on the mental side, and he’s more athletically gifted and a more natural passer than a Raw Jwill, he can run the RPO offense just as Richt would want it ran, but IMO what would make Fields even more dangerous would be to get him an OC/QB coach who’s last name isn’t Richt, with his natural talent, he’s future heisman, with an innovative OC, he’s future heisman and future #1 overall. Funny how Richt would essentially revive his career if he lands this kid, fires his son, and hires a top OC.

He could do just that and it would likely revive his career.

From a pure college numbers perspective, I would agree, but I’m not sure it’s the best fit from an NFL perspective. The Big12 in general strugglesto put kids into the NFL. Sure, Matfield was the #1 overall pick last year, but that’s not the rule. Kyler Murray is a great college QB, but he isn’t much of an NFL prospect. Scouts also tend to get wary about those offenses and the fact that the defenses are so terrible.

To be fair, Murray isn’t much of an NFL prospect because he’s already signed to a MLB team.

Advertisement
Back