Jaden Davis

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's one important thing to note, and I say this as someone who is not moved by this offer: we have plenty of room.

If they think there is an upgrade available at any spot on the depth chart, and they would not be blocking any promising young players, they will consider the move. This strikes me as adding competition for Couch and co. with minimal downside.
I’m curious what our “hit-rate” for transfers will be after this year.

I’m just thinking about Mario’s evaluation process for transfers and if he wants to go big game transfer hunting at the skill positions?

Advertisement
I bet if you compare Mario’s hit rate in the portal against other schools and they will be similar. The portal is filled with either kids that didn’t quite live up to their hype at a P5 school or lower level kids that played above their ranking but may or may not be able to transition to P5. The can’t miss products are rare and are being tampered with to get them to hit the portal.

Don't think this moves the needle. My educated guess is that they are disappointed in Terry Roberts at CB and want to add depth at that spot. This is an easy add that doesn't clutter future numbers.

They will continue to pursue corners.

Exactly, you 100% take this kid for his experience, and you coach him up to provide competition and depth. We need some competent bodies at CB right now, it's a 4-alarm fire.

And you keep big game hunting for another one.

Advertisement
Exactly, you 100% take this kid for his experience, and you coach him up to provide competition and depth. We need some competent bodies at CB right now, it's a 4-alarm fire.

And you keep big game hunting for another one.
It's a four alarm fire only because we don't know what we got? Not knowing what the cb room has is what has us nervous.

Who evaluated Roberts and thought he'd be a good add? If they're already down on Roberts, that's a really bad sign.
I don't think Roberts is fully healthy, he looks different then what he put on tape at Iowa. Idk how you go from a starting CB at Iowa before Injury to a 3rd string DB in a weak DB room here.

Advertisement
At worst, he will be an elite special teams player. He was the top gunner in the Big 10.

Transfers are low-risk adds when they are one-and-dones with good character. We have plenty of space.
At best he’s an elite special teams player. He’s not all of a sudden going to get good at playing corner.

Advertisement
I bet if you compare Mario’s hit rate in the portal against other schools and they will be similar. The portal is filled with either kids that didn’t quite live up to their hype at a P5 school or lower level kids that played above their ranking but may or may not be able to transition to P5. The can’t miss products are rare and are being tampered with to get them to hit the portal.
This

Advertisement
I wonder if this a bodies/low hanging fruit situation. We need depth in the worst way. Local guy probably won’t take a ton of resources to land him. Hopefully he’s not the only answer but if we add 3-4 DBs bringing in a guy with P5 experience makes sense.
Double Edged Sword...take too long and someone like DVD comes in and benefits due to the kid wanting to come home. But we move too fast, better options may want in and we might not have a spot.

I mean he can't be any worse than Lou Cristobal right lol

Don't think this moves the needle. My educated guess is that they are disappointed in Terry Roberts at CB and want to add depth at that spot. This is an easy add that doesn't clutter future numbers.

They will continue to pursue corners.
So let’s have a constructive discussion on what happened with Roberts. Was this another scenario where their BIG contacts failed them? To be back in the portal for just depth after taking 2 transfers this winter is a head scratcher to say the least. Do we expect another CB to bounce in the next few weeks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back