Jaden Davis - Take your bow

Advertisement
I love me some Kiko--I think he's the best true Mike we have had on the roster dating back even before Shaq. The angles thing is hard to describe. Most of it is effort, the rest is just general awareness. Some guys just get it. They understand alignment, formation, personnel, run fits, run leverage, pass leverage, down and distance, all of it.

That's why I believe some guys are born to play defense. They're either born to do so, or they have been playing consistently since youth football. There's something you have to have regarding instincts, body control, and ability to strike. An inexperienced athlete can learn choreographed offensive plays and play their role well--but defenders need to do it all in my opinion.
I think it’s the first thing I noticed basically from the first drive against Ohio. I’m like man…Mauigoa just has this locked down. First time in years I thought our Mike was an actual field general out there, and combining that with Kam on the back end, that knowledge and communication is gonna pay off

I think the lesson learned through the CFB transfer portal era is that there’s good players all around the nation.

I think the lesson learned through the CFB transfer portal era is that there’s good players all around the nation.
I've said it before on here...the portal has revealed exactly how important scheme fit is.

Joe Burrow...couldn't get off the bench at Ohio State, turned out to be one of the best QBs of a generation.

Hendon Hooker...garbage at VTech that we saw up close and personal, then the dude turned into a Heisman Candidate at Tennessee.

Trey Benson...never heard of the dude, transfers to FSU and is a one man wrecking crew.

Jaelen Phillips....out of football to first round pick in one season. Charleston Rambo...benched at OU to breaking legends' records at Miami. The list goes on and on.

Advertisement
I've said it before on here...the portal has revealed exactly how important scheme fit is.

Joe Burrow...couldn't get off the bench at Ohio State, turned out to be one of the best QBs of a generation.

Hendon Hooker...garbage at VTech that we saw up close and personal, then the dude turned into a Heisman Candidate at Tennessee.

Trey Benson...never heard of the dude, transfers to FSU and is a one man wrecking crew.

Jaelen Phillips....out of football to first round pick in one season. Charleston Rambo...benched at OU to breaking legends' records at Miami. The list goes on and on.
Which is why one transfer without sitting out a season is a must. Sometimes the first choice is just wrong.

Yup. Lots of good players. If your scouting department is on point then it’s unfettered FA

Is it only scheme fit?

Is it only scheme fit?
No, of course not, no simple answers in life. But it sure as **** does seem to be a big part of it, and you'd imagine a lot of the other stuff stems off of that.

For instance, if a kid's confidence is shot at one place because he can't get his head around the playbook and then he goes somewhere else to play a different role in a different scheme, the confidence probably follows.

Also the very idea that a coach is telling you they want you probably does a lot of good as well.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back