2024 Jacory “C2” Barney Jr ATH From Palmetto [commits to Nebraska]

Advertisement
I’m a bit of a star **** but am not concerned about the pickup at all. Like you said he’s certainly underrated and has verifiable speed. I like that despite being on the skinnier side, he’s not afraid to use his body and he wins way more 50/50 balls than he should.

What I don’t see him as, however, is a game-changing WR. He’s another nice complementary piece. We’re missing the Drelon Miller of the class, the alpha that has it all and a guy that makes the entire defense pay attention to where he is at all times on the field. Unfortunately that’s the position that we will continue to struggle the most with until points are put on the board in the fall.

Hopefully the staff figures he can put on some weight without affecting his burst, and he should see a small bump in the rankings (top 300 player with a good senior year?) by the time he enrolls.
What are his speed numbers?

Rankings whires going to be ****ed about it but he’s a **** good player. Kind of kid that goes to Louisville/WVU/etc and we’re scratching our heads at how we let him get away.

Maybe.
But people are saying the same thing about every low ranking recruit we are getting.
It’s not going to be true for all of them. ****, it won’t be true for most of them.

Advertisement
I’m a bit of a star **** but am not concerned about the pickup at all. Like you said he’s certainly underrated and has verifiable speed. I like that despite being on the skinnier side, he’s not afraid to use his body and he wins way more 50/50 balls than he should.

What I don’t see him as, however, is a game-changing WR. He’s another nice complementary piece. We’re missing the Drelon Miller of the class, the alpha that has it all and a guy that makes the entire defense pay attention to where he is at all times on the field. Unfortunately that’s the position that we will continue to struggle the most with until points are put on the board in the fall.

Hopefully the staff figures he can put on some weight without affecting his burst, and he should see a small bump in the rankings (top 300 player with a good senior year?) by the time he enrolls.

Completely agree. Barney looks like a nice addition to the class, but the truly premier WR1’s we’re after are the exact types of guys we haven’t landed in many years: Miller, Smith, and Wingo.

I don’t personally include Trader in that category as there’s a reason so many keep saying DB is his money position. I’ve said it before and I don’t care where they end up signing: Miller > Trader.

If we’re able to land even 1 out of the 3 elite wideouts we’re pushing for, it would be a massive win. But a WR the caliber of Miller would be the biggest pickup of the ‘24 class to date if we can pull that off. We absolutely need that caliber of playmaker on the outside.

The difference to me is how someone is willing to use their weight. Barney has a few highlights with contested catches, which is the thing that Mark Pope never seemed to do. To me contested catches speaks to toughness and desire. Barney also played CB and QB. He could not play those positions if he was not tough, especially on QB runs.

Lynn Swann who is one of the greatest receivers of all time was relatively small. But he made every contested catch and went over the middle back when that meant a concussion. But he was tough and had great desire. I’m not comparing anyone to Swann, but I think weight alone is a false measurement.

Pope had all kinds of catches on his highlight film. He was nearly a 5☆ for a reason. He also had a bunch of uncontested catches on his highlights because he created separation lol

T
I also look up any recruit for their track numbers and he only did relays that I found. He did anchor a 4 x 100 and 4 x 400 team that had legit times. He’s definitely fast, I just don’t have verified track or combine numbers to say context on how fast.
There is a difference between a staff who knows how to evaluate and picks certain kids out and staff that are lazy recruiters and bad evaluators.

Advertisement
Chicken or egg. Cant get elite wide receivers u less we have an elite offense. Cant have an elite offense without elite players.

Ergo there is no chance forever more at elite wide receivers.
Let's see what the new offense can do with the talent on hand. Tank Dell was a 2 star recruit before he became an All American at Houston. I feel like if we can have a really nice breakout year from one or more of our current guys, it might attract some bigger names.

Mario with his three star prospects
IMG_0569.jpeg

Maybe.
But people are saying the same thing about every low ranking recruit we are getting.
It’s not going to be true for all of them. ****, it won’t be true for most of them.
This isn’t true

People destroyed the take of Russell and to some extent Judd as well

Not sure I’ve ever seen the board as anti a commitment as it was over Russell

I get your point though in general

Last edited:
Advertisement
This isn’t true

People destroyed the take of Russell and to some extent Judd as well

Not sure I’ve ever seen the board as anti a commitment as it was over Russell

I get your point though in general
Barney will get more offers in the next 3-4 months. I think this is why miami moved fast before everyone else did. Im hearing from several people that WR space is very limited. Take that as you want.

Get the crows ready.

Advertisement
My alma mater. I am friendly with some coaches there and let’s just say, they are seeing what Mario is building and like it. Hopefully, LT can have a massive year and build more momentum with Palmetto.
What are their thoughts on Barney?

Barney will get more offers in the next 3-4 months. I think this is why miami moved fast before everyone else did. Im hearing from several people that WR space is very limited. Take that as you want.

Get the crows ready.
I really like this kid. I get what the other guy is saying about us trying to find reasons to like these lower ranked guys, and it does happen of course

But this kid isn’t going to be lower ranked and a couple of others I think will move up (or they would have had they not committed)

It’s still early but looking at the lower ranked kids Mario signed his first two classes (well 1.5 maybe) and it is a stark difference from what has plagued us for decades. Not only did Randy, Golden, Richt, Manny not find depth pieces in lower ranked guys, many of them didn’t even sniff the field and transferred out to lower tiered schools

I feel good that’s changing bigtime

I really like this kid. I get what the other guy is saying about us trying to find reasons to like these lower ranked guys, and it does happen of course

But this kid isn’t going to be lower ranked and a couple of others I think will move up (or they would have had they not committed)

It’s still early but looking at the lower ranked kids Mario signed his first two classes (well 1.5 maybe) and it is a stark difference from what has plagued us for decades. Not only did Randy, Golden, Richt, Manny not find depth pieces in lower ranked guys, many of them didn’t even sniff the field and transferred out to lower tiered schools

I feel good that’s changing bigtime
Barney’s stock was climbing in recent months. Perhaps, not on recruiting sites but in the football world. More schools were recruiting him. Now, with this commitment, I expect other programs to be more aggressive. Let’s see how he produces his senior year but I’m happy we got him.

Advertisement
Back