Jaccuri Brown is not hurt

I always thought he’d be a long-term development type. This is all too premature.

@RedSquare what can they do to try to work on Jacurri’s accuracy that has actually been done with success with others?

I think Dawson is doing the right things. Not sure what “isn’t being done” because I think the things he needs to do to get better are being worked on.

One big thing with him that affects his accuracy is his feet and how his lower body integrates into his throwing motion. People don’t realize how even the slightest disruption in mechanics can affect accuracy, which in turn affects ball placement. (Those two aren’t the same thing). And it’s why watching how QB’s throw off platform is key to evaluating them, because if you throw the ball 30 times in a game, god blessed you if more than a dozen of those are from a perfect and timed drop where you don’t get thrown off platform even slightly. He got away for so long on just upper body arm strength, because you can in HS when you are as physically gifted as he is. And it’s hard at his age to change up quickly. When bullets are flying you have a tendency to revert to some bad habits.

I’ve worked with kids who have had some of the same issues, and accuracy problems that come from his type of mechanical challenges are not uncommon, but they are not always super easy to work through. It can be done, and he’s made progress, (the spring game didn’t well reflect his improvement), but it’s not a “flip the switch” process by any means. So it shouldn’t be expected.

I will say, the QB’s I’ve had the most success in tutoring/coaching are the ones where we’ve caught it quickly. It gets harder when you’re older.

@Lance Roffers can jump in as well if he has any thoughts.

Advertisement
I'm exaggerating lol but I didn't like his arm at all. Felt like he was over rated coming out of HS. He could not move in the pocket as well. Just wasn't a fan of him and I think he won't do anything wherever he goes.

My point on this issue is that we're now in a position where Mario is trying to attract a Portal QB who can be a capable QB2 in 2023. That's a really tough needle to thread. What QB is good enough to be a reliable QB2 who will transfer without the ability to compete for the starting job? Given that, my opinion is that we would have been better off keeping Jake Garcia for at least one more year.

Garcia being listed as the #3 QB behind a lower classman coming into spring is code for, "Pack your **** and find another team." Now we're seeing just how far away Jacurri Brown truly is. We have no capable back up at QB2. The only way for Mario to come out ahead in this situation is for the following to occur:

Portal QB2 > Jake Garcia.

Again, that's gonna be a tough needle to thread. We'll see how it plays out.

Some of you guys either don’t watch football games or don’t pay attention enough.

I would temper expectations on JB.

Recruits who are inaccurate in HS typically don’t improve much. There are a few over the years, but it’s rare to see guys make major improvements.

Rule number 1 for recruiting QBs should be accuracy.

Enough taking guys who can’t hit 15 years slants

I think Dawson is doing the right things. Not sure what “isn’t being done” because I think the things he needs to do to get better are being worked on.

One big thing with him that affects his accuracy is his feet and how his lower body integrates into his throwing motion. People don’t realize how even the slightest disruption in mechanics can affect accuracy, which in turn affects ball placement. (Those two aren’t the same thing). And it’s why watching how QB’s throw off platform is key to evaluating them, because if you throw the ball 30 times in a game, god blessed you if more than a dozen of those are from a perfect and timed drop where you don’t get thrown off platform even slightly. He got away for so long on just upper body arm strength, because you can in HS when you are as physically gifted as he is. And it’s hard at his age to change up quickly. When bullets are flying you have a tendency to revert to some bad habits.

I’ve worked with kids who have had some of the same issues, and accuracy problems that come from his type of mechanical challenges are not uncommon, but they are not always super easy to work through. It can be done, and he’s made progress, (the spring game didn’t well reflect his improvement), but it’s not a “flip the switch” process by any means. So it shouldn’t be expected.

I will say, the QB’s I’ve had the most success in tutoring/coaching are the ones where we’ve caught it quickly. It gets harder when you’re older.

When I watch QB’s I look at how they marry their upper and lower body together. If you see an inaccurate QB, it’s normally stemming from feet first.

Then you look at how they work their arm. Elbow dropping etc. length of release.

After that you’re getting into how they “see” it. Do they throw it on time, or do they need to see it open before releasing (which will impact your accuracy etc.).

Some of these things can be fixed through repetition and training, but does it stick in muscle memory? That’s why I start with how things look in rhythm first, then I go to chaos situations and see what they look like then. If they revert to panic, you can see that’s the natural inclination of a QB and they have further to go than the natural thrower who keeps his body synced and his release consistent.

Jacurri is a crazy athlete, which tends to give you a longer runway on improving body mechanic issues etc. He also is said to be a football fanatic who loves the grind. Give me that type and I’ll give them a chance.

But the chance that Jacurri ever becomes a stud at QB as a passer remains very low. At least to my amateur eye.

Advertisement
My point on this issue is that we're now in a position where Mario is trying to attract a Portal QB who can be a capable QB2 in 2023. That's a really tough needle to thread. What QB is good enough to be a reliable QB2 who will transfer without the ability to compete for the starting job? Given that, my opinion is that we would have been better off keeping Jake Garcia for at least one more year.

Garcia being listed as the #3 QB behind a lower classman coming into spring is code for, "Pack your **** and find another team." Now we're seeing just how far away Jacurri Brown truly is. We have no capable back up at QB2. The only way for Mario to come out ahead in this situation is for the following to occur:

What u saying makes sense. If Emory is decent or serviceable we should be alright if anything happens to TVD. But yea we are thin

I really hope they develop him or be able to sign a quarterback with his physical attributes and ability, because I have my doubts about Mario winning big (playoff wins and or Natty) unless he can secure a game changer at the QB position. We shall see, I still have hope.

What u saying makes sense. If Emory is decent or serviceable we should be alright if anything happens to TVD. But yea we are thin

This goes to my belief that its critical that Emory Williams be named QB2 this season. Only QB1 and QB2 get any meaningful development reps during the season. QB3 is usually getting scout team reps. If Williams is listed as QB3 it will slow his development. Im just not confident enough in Mario as a roster manager to think he would be willing to do this.

Advertisement
Unfortunately, I see all 3 QBs playing this year just like last year. Unless... Mario pulls a rabbit out of his hat and finds the next Tate Martel in the portal.

Joking Season 2 GIF by The Lonely Island

What mental/physical drills would you try on a project player like J Brown?

This young man was in a tough situation last year.
Getting some playing time with some players that had no idea what was going on running around with ? marks .
Imagine your a young QB you call a play and may even check off the ball is snapped and it’s like you kicked an ant pile fire drill crazy.

Actually this is his REAL first year PLUS new play book .

Even in my day many times at center I’d line up an the D was shifting jumping and you fo get confused.
Coach always said if you get a brain fart HIT the closest guy on his *** not rocket science, IT WORKED LOLOL IT DID.

Anyway he’s held back at no fault of his own.

GOCANES

Advertisement
No need to over-complicate it...Guidry dropped 8 (IE, prevent defense) into coverage a lot last night, and except for a few instances of success, all of our QBs struggled throwing the ball underneath. Most of our success came on those deep outside shots, or to the sidelines.

When I watch QB’s I look at how they marry their upper and lower body together. If you see an inaccurate QB, it’s normally stemming from feet first.

Then you look at how they work their arm. Elbow dropping etc. length of release.

After that you’re getting into how they “see” it. Do they throw it on time, or do they need to see it open before releasing (which will impact your accuracy etc.).

Some of these things can be fixed through repetition and training, but does it stick in muscle memory? That’s why I start with how things look in rhythm first, then I go to chaos situations and see what they look like then. If they revert to panic, you can see that’s the natural inclination of a QB and they have further to go than the natural thrower who keeps his body synced and his release consistent.

Jacurri is a crazy athlete, which tends to give you a longer runway on improving body mechanic issues etc. He also is said to be a football fanatic who loves the grind. Give me that type and I’ll give them a chance.

But the chance that Jacurri ever becomes a stud at QB as a passer remains very low. At least to my amateur eye.

Exactly. Good post. You and I agree on all of this.

I said before, given all of his positive attributes, he’s got the chance to have a productive career in the NFL as an X receiver. It will make me sad for him if he loses that opportunity because he’s trying to be a stud QB, and it was just never in the cards.

Too much talent and character there to have it not put to use in the right way.

That being said, it’s his choice to ultimately make.

Garcia has a noodle, and He doesn't possess any redeeming qualities to make up for that fact.

Advertisement
Are you really a Bama fan or is this just a CIS rumor? Figured instead of assuming I'd just ask.
I am not, I said once I like to cheer for Alabama when Miami isn't playing since i live in Alabama and people have called me any Alabama fan ever since. I don't think I've ever even watched one Alabama game from start to finish outside of the national championship.

this is a good post. QB passing, like so many other things, is feet up. People are focused on his throwing mechanics (and there are issues), but this has been a combination of things since the beginning. That combination means more erratic throws than not. I’ve not yet seen enough evidence to think differently. I hope significant improvement happens because, like you said, he’s a tough, incredible athlete. That’d be fun to watch and extremely valuable. It’s just currently a lower probability than most people just throwing out Jalen Hurts, Lamar, and other names as ‘poor college passers’ appear to concede.

Advertisement
Back