Ivins Update (Dare I Ask?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody ever consider that maybe just maybe this guy named Nick gave him a call and no he has second thoughts. Whether he committed or not, Ol Nicky was going to come calling so while everyone celebrated potentially Saturday the race wasn’t over. Maybe this is for the best and the kid can really sit back and decide does he want to go to Miami or go play for this guy named Nick.

View attachment 125790
Everyone knows this already. And I’m sure he follows the nfl draft and knows were some of them went. He already had a bama offer and had spoken to the coache and even had an interview where he said getting recruited by Nick Saban was a dream come true.
if he held off his commitment as some have allegedly said then @Dwinstitles has to be on to something. Bama is trying to finish up it’s class just like everyone else. So if saban or bama called one more time what else could he have said that he didn’t say already unless something was promised to him or people around him.
The only thing that could be in play that has nothing to do with bags is that bama has other db’s higher and it turned him off amd he was gonna come here. When wiltfong dropped his prediction they called back and said “hey don’t worry if this dude doesn’t pop by this date then the spot is yours”.
Kid isn’t going to back off unless he just really wants bama and they’re the ones that can afford to tell a kid wait a week or so and you might have a spot.

Advertisement
Look, I'm not sure why everyone applies some sort of politics-level analysis of "leaks" to an 18 year old kid trying to pick a college.

In the past, these recruits have been criticized for NOT being honest with the coaches who recruit them. But then, if someone tries to do the right thing, by notifying coaches at a school that you are NOT coming to their school, why should the recruit be blamed for "leaks" as if he intentionally created them?

Similarly, when these kids are trying to make decisions, they may talk with their friends, family, and mentors. Why should a recruit be blamed for trusting his HS coach, who then passes along intel to coaches at a school that is not being selected.

Compare situations. With LT, it LOOKS LIKE he made a decision a couple of weeks ago, and has been holding off on an announcement. Sure, it looks like it has "leaked" that Miami is going to be the choice, but he also doesn't seem that bothered by it.

In contrast, it looks like JM has had a much more difficult and recent decision-making process, and perhaps by virtue of the fact that he is picking a school he HASN'T been leaning to for two years, perhaps he wanted the other schools to "respect his decision", which clearly didn't happen when he got overwhelmed with phone calls on Saturday.

Again, it's not the end of the world, but it points out the differential between adults pursuing their own agendas, versus an 18 year old just trying to make a difficult decision and announce it the way he wants it to be announced.

I highly doubt that Jason Marshall told 2 people, or 222 people (outside of family and coaches) "I'm picking Miami" and then someone "leaked" it. But to blame the kid for trusting coaches and/or writers is just wrong. And saying that adults are "just doing their jobs" is not a good excuse in this situation.

To get to a "confidence level of 8" flip, Ivins and Wiltfong had way more than "I saw some Cribby posts" or "Diaz just tweeted an explosion gif". Even if Diaz tweets at 11:54 am and Ivins-Wiltfong flip at 12:17 pm, you have to realize that Ivins wrote up a whole article before 12:17, and Wiltfong was in on it, so much that he posted at the identical time with the identical confidence level.

So the whole thing was planned, coordinated, and intended to be done pre-announcement with intel that came from Alabama and/or Palmetto coaches well before Manny tweeted anything, and with a confidence level based on coaching staff intel, not anonymous internet posting intel.

As you proceed to offer politics-level analysis...

Look, I'm not sure why everyone applies some sort of politics-level analysis of "leaks" to an 18 year old kid trying to pick a college.

In the past, these recruits have been criticized for NOT being honest with the coaches who recruit them. But then, if someone tries to do the right thing, by notifying coaches at a school that you are NOT coming to their school, why should the recruit be blamed for "leaks" as if he intentionally created them?

Similarly, when these kids are trying to make decisions, they may talk with their friends, family, and mentors. Why should a recruit be blamed for trusting his HS coach, who then passes along intel to coaches at a school that is not being selected.

Compare situations. With LT, it LOOKS LIKE he made a decision a couple of weeks ago, and has been holding off on an announcement. Sure, it looks like it has "leaked" that Miami is going to be the choice, but he also doesn't seem that bothered by it.

In contrast, it looks like JM has had a much more difficult and recent decision-making process, and perhaps by virtue of the fact that he is picking a school he HASN'T been leaning to for two years, perhaps he wanted the other schools to "respect his decision", which clearly didn't happen when he got overwhelmed with phone calls on Saturday.

Again, it's not the end of the world, but it points out the differential between adults pursuing their own agendas, versus an 18 year old just trying to make a difficult decision and announce it the way he wants it to be announced.

I highly doubt that Jason Marshall told 2 people, or 222 people (outside of family and coaches) "I'm picking Miami" and then someone "leaked" it. But to blame the kid for trusting coaches and/or writers is just wrong. And saying that adults are "just doing their jobs" is not a good excuse in this situation.

To get to a "confidence level of 8" flip, Ivins and Wiltfong had way more than "I saw some Cribby posts" or "Diaz just tweeted an explosion gif". Even if Diaz tweets at 11:54 am and Ivins-Wiltfong flip at 12:17 pm, you have to realize that Ivins wrote up a whole article before 12:17, and Wiltfong was in on it, so much that he posted at the identical time with the identical confidence level.

So the whole thing was planned, coordinated, and intended to be done pre-announcement with intel that came from Alabama and/or Palmetto coaches well before Manny tweeted anything, and with a confidence level based on coaching staff intel, not anonymous internet posting intel.
Yup. They didn’t go last minute with an 8 based on Cribby.

They’re blaming Ivins for the kid committing to Alabama. We’re blaming Ivins for the kid pushing off his commit, amongst other things, but it’s splitting hairs at this point. Now I’m just waiting for @brock to give the “mods delete thread” order.
I make a motion to...
giphy.gif

Advertisement
Yup. They didn’t go last minute with an 8 based on Cribby.
Or an explosion GIF. If the head of a recruiting site goes that kind of confidence level on a recruit that heretofore was not going to a school, it is not based on evidence that weak.

It is also entirely possible that the level of confidence (8) was also used to tip Saban. I wouldn't put it past Wiltfong for a second.

Advertisement
You don't understand the difference.

Nobody is saying that Saban offered more money to Jason Marshall based on the 247 premature announcement, and that the money changed Jason Marshall's mind.

But that's what the Gaytors claimed. So it's not "the exact same thing".

The one element that IS consistent in both situations, though, is the role of Ivins (and his buddy Wiltfong) in providing intel to Saban.

If Jason Marshall changes his mind, I'm fine with it, and I'm not blaming crystal balls for that. It's still an awful thing for an adult with financial interests to do to a kid who is trying to announce his college choice within the hour.

It's possible to have more than one thought in your head at the same time. Just because there are some similarities doesn't mean that there aren't also very important and meaningful differences.

I can think all of these things:

1. Jason Marshall can choose any university, and I respect his decision.
2. Crystal ball flips are not to blame for Jason Marshall changing his university choice.
3. Ivins and Wiltfong, with intel from Alabama and/or Palmetto coaches, intended to interfere with Jason Marshall's announcement.

Not that complicated.
In fact plenty of people on this very thread have indicated Saban offered more money.

Nobody is saying that Saban offered more money to Jason Marshall based on the 247 premature announcement, and that the money changed Jason Marshall's mind.

The one element that IS consistent in both situations, though, is the role of Ivins (and his buddy Wiltfong) in providing intel to Saban.

If Jason Marshall changes his mind, I'm fine with it, and I'm not blaming crystal balls for that. It's still an awful thing for an adult with financial interests to do to a kid who is trying to announce his college choice within the hour.

It's possible to have more than one thought in your head at the same time. Just because there are some similarities doesn't mean that there aren't also very important and meaningful differences.

2. Crystal ball flips are not to blame for Jason Marshall changing his university choice.
3. Ivins and Wiltfong, with intel from Alabama and/or Palmetto coaches, intended to interfere with Jason Marshall's announcement.

Not that complicated.
Yeah. You're just salty because you were over there clowning them too and now you look like a douche. As for the 3 things pointed out 1 and 2 are exactly the same as Brooks, and if you want to buy the #3 conspiracy theory than that's a personal choice but it certainly isn't fact

Not that complicated.
This lol. More than one thing can be true at the same time. It’s not hard to grasp

I guess I missed something in all of this drama, so Miami coaches put out tweets hinting at a big time commit is imminent. Then two 247 guys flip their CBs for JM and by doing that, they ruined JM's chance to "shock the world" with his commitment. So he therefore decides to cancel his commitment and open back up his recruitment.

Do I have this right? I'm confused as to why 247 CBs would prevent a player from committing.

Advertisement
I didn't say you were. Just don't take too much offense at the accusation.
Im just explaining myself bro, for someone else that will read the interaction. I feel what you're saying.

I'm laughing & having a great time bro. Appreciate you looking out though.

Would they be thinking JM would still be committing to UM after their scoop? You'd think Ivins/Wiltfong would know that bama/coaches were looking to derail his commitment with the info leak. Won't the very act of scooping his UM commitment possibly cause their confident CB's to be now wrong?
Great point. They can’t have it both ways. Either they wanted to change CB’s to get that extra 0.00001% accuracy, or they did it to derail JM coming to Miami by tipping off Bama boosters or Saban. But the latter inherently means their CB accuracy would actually decrease. Such a conundrum.

Not that complicated.
Wow! So going theory now is that Palmetto coach and a UM writer and a national writer at 24/7 tried to sway a recruit to Bama. Recruiting is a crazy world

Advertisement
im not saying JM leaked it and not even blaming him. this stuff happens and **** prolly trust his coach less now since its kinda obvious his hs coach got wind of his decision and told bama based on the story. it is what it is. it got leaked. hopefully, he isnt having second thoughts, but even if he is, id rather him take his time to make sure this school is right for him and not have to worry bout a potential jobe situation later on (not saying he is jobe but a late flip close to NSD would sting). at the end of the day, hes holding off announcing for a reason (whether its to make sure or to find another time).

Agreed. I wasn't even limiting it to your points only, but rather the whole narrative that tries to call this situation "leaks" and then blame the kid for not being secretive enough.

People need to wake up. It's nice that NIL passed and all, but we have almost 100 years of history of adults taking advantage of (and making a ton of money off of) teen-agers in "amateur" sports, and it has gotten much worse in the past 20 years.

I guess I missed something in all of this drama, so Miami coaches put out tweets hinting at a big time commit is imminent. Then two 247 guys flip their CBs for JM and by doing that, they ruined JM's chance to "shock the world" with his commitment. So he therefore decides to cancel his commitment and open back up his recruitment.

Do I have this right? I'm confused as to why 247 CBs would prevent a player from committing.
100 percent same 🤔

Wow! So going theory now is that Palmetto coach and a UM writer and a national writer at 24/7 tried to sway a recruit to Bama. Recruiting is a crazy world

It's not about a particular outcome ("sway"). It's the interference generally, whether a Palmetto coach "becomes more well known and valued" or a 247 writer "drives more clicks" or an Alabama coach does whatever it takes to land a kid.

Go back and look at the dollar amounts involved in the FBI college basketball case. It's not like the guys steering athletes to various schools were making a ton of money.

Great point. They can’t have it both ways. Either they wanted to change CB’s to get that extra 0.00001% accuracy, or they did it to derail JM coming to Miami by tipping off Bama boosters or Saban. But the latter inherently means their CB accuracy would actually decrease. Such a conundrum.

Different people may have different motivations. And Ivins-Wiltfong can always flip again.

Explain the alternative, then. The CBs were already "wrong" (assuming the UM announcement happens). CB percentage goes down in that case as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back