Ivins Update (6/25)

Advertisement
I watched the tape and did some digging. He’s got some talent. Reminds me a lot of our very own D‘Eriq King - not a big kid (6 feet) but a smooth and natural athlete with a good arm. He made all types of throws that were impressive. Kid has a very interesting background: 3 sport athlete, been committed to UF for baseball since 2018, and got an elite 11 invite this month. I’m very intrigued.
Guess I gotta go take a look myself.

Advertisement
Guess I gotta go take a look myself.
So I looked at it and he’s got talent/growth potential but I smell an athlete playing QB instead of an actual QB. He reminds me too much of AJ HighSmith. He needs a weight room to make up for what he hasn’t received because of baseball and his arm will grow but he can definitely be a DB without a doubt. He’s a high level P5 prospect but I don’t think QB is it unless he makes a lot of strides physically.

I’m telling y’all Davis sounds like he’ll be an absolute unit at Mike back. Leave Jacorey to play viper, Johnson/Troutman to play on the outside where they’re most natural at, and let Davis use that first step and 4.71(and probably will get faster) speed to be a gap hunter.
I THINK HE’S A BACKER AS WELL. I WAS THINKING STAND UP OUTSIDE GUY. MIKE WOULD BE GOOD AS WELL, BUT HE GOTTA CALL THE D AND DISECT PLAYS.

There are some legitimate posters giving legit evaluations but he wasn’t having an easy time with that. One low post jag poster we perma-banned started just to be a prick. 2 of Carol City’s accounts started up as well. He’s gone for a week.

Dude used to do the same thing on 247 forums and swore nobody could catch on..

Advertisement
Advertisement
Just from being around this type of situation before (Shaq’s dad, Steed’s dad, Robert’s mom, et al) I think it was his father and it was the wise thing to delete his account.

Said it in another thread but it takes maturity to step into the ring, realize the forecast is only pain, then step back out before damage is done.

I love UM and there’s no way I could see people discussing my child like he or she’s just another stud on the meat market. And no, there was no ill will born.

Thomas has his bday on August 24th

“If Florida were to offer for both sports that’s a place I’d fit in, but football is the sport I want to play in college,” Allen said. “Balancing the two sports out would be tough. I’ve talked to Florida coaches about football, am just waiting it out. I’m just going with the flow right now.”

Allen says the Canes are just starting to initiate contact and he’s unsure what direction it might take. But his grandmother was a big Cane fan, and that rubbed off on him.

“I was in a Miami household growing up,” he says. “I’ve always liked them.”

Regarding Thomas Davis. 247 just posted this:

You won’t find many pass rushers in this 2021 recruiting class that are more twitched up than Davis, who can clock a laser timed 40 in the 4.7 range at 234 pounds.

Davis also put up an impressive L-cone drill that would have been
second best amongst defensive ends at the recent NFL combine.

It did also say he was barely over 6'

Advertisement
I can't imagine being a player's parent and reading the crap people post here about your kid. I mean we have people here tear into good players, imagine if your kid just ends up as JAG? Probably best just to go to the games and enjoy your proud parent moments without having to deal with the superfans telling you how much your kid sucks.

I don’t. USC took another highly touted QB. Not a project. That shows their cards. Any decent recruiter is slamming that they don’t have faith in him all over the place and that’s exactly what it is. They don’t think he can run their O(stupidly) while I(and Lashlee) knows he can run ours. Ivins is absolutely hedging because that’s who he is. Gaby probably has the same sources and isn’t gun shy like he is. There’s too many connections here and everybody knew that he was committing here until Bryce Young decommitted.

PS: You think a guy who committed right after he found out Bryce decommitted is gonna sit around as USC brings in another QB just as highly touted as him?
Yes, I do. It's called competition. I think it plays out the way I explained. They both redshirt in 2021. Compete for a backup role in 2022. One of them transfers out in 2023.

Regardless of whether there's another QB in the same class, there's going to be competition with the other QBs on the team. If Garcia comes to Miami, he has to compete with TVD and Matocha. TVD is only 1 year ahead of Garcia. Is Garcia going to sit for 3 years? He's going to compete with TVD the same way he'd compete with Moss at USC. It's just another guy Garcia has to compete with. Slovis started for USC as a freshman. Garcia and Moss both redshirt in 2021. They compete for the starting/backup role in 2022. Slovis turns pro after 2022 season. Garcia or Moss is the starting QB their redshirt sophomore year and the other transfers out. You could argue that Garcia has less competition going to USC than Miami.

I get that everyone on the recruiting trail is selling USC really doesn't believe in you. Miami sent out scholarship offers to several QBs as did USC. USC just happened to have 2 top QBs that want to attend their school. I'm sure they want both because they are short on QBs since they didn't sign a QB in 2019 when Bryce Young flipped to Alabama and lost another on the roster when JT Daniels transferred out. In a similar way, we took Rosier and Kaaya in the same year because we were short on QBs. Rosier wasn't the caliber of Kaaya, but did either say I'm not going to Miami because they recruited 2 QBs? NO. So, you can't have it both ways.

I would love to have Garcia. I just don't think it plays out that he flips because USC recruited 2 QBs. I'm sure USC's telling them they recruited both of them because they are short on QBs. If we get Garcia, it's because we had a monster year in wins where our offense explodes with record like numbers and USC has a bad year.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back