It's not going to happen

Advertisement
So you can say "we were what our record says we were". I don't necessarily agree, but that's not what this thread is about.

The topic of this thread is that our team is not going to turn a corner and all of a sudden improve, and one of the arguments given was "that we are what our record says we are". That is categorically false. In the present and future, we are not what our record says we are. Our record is a backwards-looking metric.

On October 9, 2019, we have played 5 football games in the 2019 season. We have won 2 and we have lost 3. We have yet to beat a power 5 team. We won one game against a terrible FCS school and another against a team that won 1 game last year. We lost to a UNC team that won 2 games last year and a lost another to a terrible VT team. We are, in the present, what our record says we are - a below average to pad football team.

Spare me with the rest of this nonsense. They do not give trophies for having an S&P+ that says you should have won more games than you did in reality. You are what your record says you are because that is the only thing that matters.

Advertisement
It is not just about setting a standard. "Hey, don't do that"

Coaches are responsible for line discipline. They work on it and practice it. If an OL or DL lacks discipline it is because a coach has been too lackadaisical with them. Line discipline is a direct result of coaches instilling that discipline into the line.

Same with blocking. If some misses a blocking assignment it probably means the coaches did not bang it into his head enough.

This is not difficult. If you fail a test it is probably because you did not spend enough time preparing for it. The more you prepare the better you will perform....every single time. The more you prepare players the better they will perform. Lack of preparation means players miss blocking assignments. They jump offsides. They lack discipline. This is the difference between well coached and poor coaching.

This could be true.

They may not be drilling the players properly.

But I have seen failure even when the right thing is emphasized and practiced ad nauseam.

There is an intangible element to coaching people overlook because it can’t be objectified.

You can have two coaches teach the same group of guys the EXACT same mechanical technique in the same allotted time frame and get WILDLY different results.

Attention to the specific details, demeanor, presence, enthusiasm, poise. They all play a role in being able to allow a coach to improve performance.

The coach has to TRULY BELIEVE in his heart that the players will get it. Not just think that they can do it. There are nuances to this that you can go on and on talking about how it works and still not understand the full process. I won’t try.

There is a sweet spot where proper teaching comes together physically, mentally, and emotionally to create success at or near the maximum of what natural talent will allow.

That is what can make coaching hires so difficult. Because it is difficult to judge these things because the “ used car salesman” types can fake it temporarily. The body of work is the best indicator, but still doesn’t always tell the whole story.

Analytics have proven that winning close games is not a skill. It is basically random. Good teams win close games about 50% of the time. They win blowouts >80% of the time (i.e. they blow teams out and rarely get blown out).

Correct, we should have won the VT game, as well as the UNC game. We should have lost the UF game by more than we did (we had extremely positive turnover luck). What "should" happen doesn't always happen. It generally does over the long-term, but not over the short-term.

ND is a perfect example. They were 12-0 that year. They were the only unbeaten (excluding Boise or any other G5 team). So if you believe "you are what your record says you are" - that's a full-stop right there: ND was 12-0. Their record says they were the best team.

If you want to introduce nuance into the argument and say it was a biased decision or a flawed system or whatever...well, then I guess you (rightly) believe there's more to it than your record. You (right) look at ND's record and say, "that was not the best team". You (rightly) realize that you are NOT what your record says you are.

Analytics have not proven anything. All it does is provide information/data. People then take that information and try to extrapolate information from it. Results are all dependent on what you pull or leave out.

ND is not a perfect example...you seem to miss the point entirely. ND had nothing to do with analytics. They beat the teams they played so they were undefeated. hey deserved that. But winning all your games in college football means different things when it comes to getting into that game....Analytics did not prove or disprove anything here.

There were other undefeated teams that year that didn't get in...did analytics prove they were not worthy as well?

If anything the fact we lost the VT game should have told you tell you analytic were useless. They lost because of a lot of reasons analytics do not account for....a lot of reasons that make you a poor team.

You gotta get passed (LOL! past) this analytic thing.

Last edited:
There is a reason why quanitative and qualitative data matter...................it isn't just about numbers.

On October 9, 2019, we have played 5 football games in the 2019 season. We have won 2 and we have lost 3. We have yet to beat a power 5 team. We won one game against a terrible FCS school and another against a team that won 1 game last year. We lost to a UNC team that won 2 games last year and a lost another to a terrible VT team. We are, in the present, what our record says we are - a below average to pad football team.

Spare me with the rest of this nonsense. They do not give trophies for having an S&P+ that says you should have won more games than you did in reality. You are what your record says you are because that is the only thing that matters.

I'll be happy to spare you logic and naunced thinking. There's nothing wrong with your consumption of sports being based on simplicity - wins and losses and nothing else. It doesn't reflect the reality of the game, but it doesn't have to. It's just a game. I prefer to learn more about what I am watching, which is why I love sports analytics, but I understand that others rather keep it simple.

(Although it's annoying when those people lead angry, misinformed mobs.)

Advertisement
Analytics have not proven anything. All it does is provide information/data. People then take that information and try to extrapolate information from it. Results are all dependent on what you pull or leave out.

ND is not a perfect example...you seem to miss the point entirely. ND had nothing to do with analytics. They beat the teams they played so they were undefeated. hey deserved that. But winning all your games in college football means different things when it comes to getting into that game....Analytics did not prove or disprove anything here.

There were other undefeated teams that year that didn't get in...did analytics prove they were not worthy as well?

If anything the fact we lost the VT game should have told you tell you analytic were useless. They lost because of a lot of reasons analytics do not account for....a lot of reasons that make you a poor team.

You gotta get passed this analytic thing.

I don't understand.

1) You said "you are what your record says you are".
2) ND had the best record, so ND was the best team.

Either both of those things are true, or neither.

I can't disagree with you, logically. They've shown nothing except effort and talent. But the illogical optimistic part of my brain says the team was in a similar situation in 2016 and rattled off a year-long winning streak. So I'll be in the stadium on Friday wishing and hoping.

Advertisement
The play Donaldson whiffed and someone screenshot it to make it look like that happened lmaoo
I don't know how a professional coach can watch tape and not see the huge, HUGE problems with blown coverage, miscommunication, and failed assignments. I have exactly zero experience and i can see it.

If they just stood still like a statue at least the defense would have to go around them. They're not even doing that, they just open holes for the defense.

I'll be happy to spare you logic and naunced thinking. There's nothing wrong with your consumption of sports being based on simplicity - wins and losses and nothing else. It doesn't reflect the reality of the game, but it doesn't have to. It's just a game. I prefer to learn more about what I am watching, which is why I love sports analytics, but I understand that others rather keep it simple.

(Although it's annoying when those people lead angry, misinformed mobs.)

You play the game to win. There is plenty of nuance that goes into that with each play, drive, quarter, whatever. However, at the end of the day, you can wipe your *** with a high completion percentage if you have less points with 0:00 left on the clock. Again, metrics have their place in making decisions, figuring out where and how to attack or defend, or even looking at likely future results. But if you are going to try to tell me that we are actually a 4-1 team or we coulda/woulda/shoulda won another game or two and really are not a 2-3 team, then I am simply not interested because it does not matter.

I don't know how a professional coach can watch tape and not see the huge, HUGE problems with blown coverage, miscommunication, and failed assignments. I have exactly zero experience and i can see it.

If they just stood still like a statue at least the defense would have to go around them. They're not even doing that, they just open holes for the defense.
What? The miscommunication between the players?..that’s on players to hash that out and adjust on the field..Everybody has their checkS to make. It’s on the coaches to hold the guys accountable. Ultimately the coaches will get the blame. That’s football

Advertisement
You play the game to win. There is plenty of nuance that goes into that with each play, drive, quarter, whatever. However, at the end of the day, you can wipe your *** with a high completion percentage if you have less points with 0:00 left on the clock. Again, metrics have their place in making decisions, figuring out where and how to attack or defend, or even looking at likely future results. But if you are going to try to tell me that we are actually a 4-1 team or we coulda/woulda/shoulda won another game or two and really are not a 2-3 team, then I am simply not interested because it does not matter.

It matters for predicting future results, as you admitted, and which is what this entire thread is about LOL.

That first half vs Va Tech was BRUTAL...

It was arguably the worst half of Football I've ever seen from a Miami team, it looked like Clemson 2015 all over again.

I was literally wincing while watching, it was a pure beat down & was just obscene to look at, we just kept getting our *** whooped something serious smh.

Funny. We've lost the 3 more important games on our schedule so far by 1 TD or less, why is it so hard to believe that one change won't push us over the top to win these close games instead of losing them?
Because; if we are suppose to have a talent advantage over most of our schedule and we are letting teams hang even close during games, then all is not good and things need to be re-evaluated as far as coaching, schemes, player development, player evaluations, players heart, and players will to be great.
Our best players are being underutilized to satisfy the guy whose been here the longest. Granted, if you're balling then you should play beyond doubt. I can only name one jr/sr ,that is not a transfer on either side of the ball, that is playing up to the CANES standard this season...that will be Dj Dallas. All others have had moments or played below standard for the most part. Without saying anything offensive, get those young backers on the field at least 35% of the defensive snaps(not just ST). Also, thank patchen and Knowles for staying loyal, but anything more than 15 snaps a game is too many.
I never was a manny for HC guy but i bought in. I will make judgement following his offseason moves and crootin. I will give you 2yrs, not 3,4 show control and promise. We've been bit too many times by the boogie man, sales guy Head coach hanging around tooo dawn long.

Advertisement
Back