It's all about the X's & O's...

To me the issue with this team on both sides of the ball is scheme more so than personnel.

Particularly on Offense, I've felt we need to go to a Spread Offense since 2016 due to the fact we simply don't have the OL to run the scheme these play callers Miami keeps hiring wants us to run.

WE ARE NOT A POWER RUN UNDER CENTER "PRO STYLE" Offense. We don't have the OT's to protect long enough for 5-7 step Play Action drops & we don't have the the interior line to open up big holes & create sufficient run lanes.

We need to stop fighting against ourselves & transition to a Spread/Air Raid style offense, because 1) we have the Offensive weapons that fit that scheme perfectly & 2) it would neutralize having to always rely on the Defense to be more stout than they're capable of.

We should be beating teams off the fact we have speed & athleticism combined with making them defend the ENTIRE field. The exact same issues we had last year, we have this year, we're slow, predictable & easily shut down on Offense by any DC with half a brain because we don't apply any pressure to Defenses whatsoever, we play right into their hands.

In today's era of College Football you can manufacture yards without having elite talent all over the field, the name of the PACE & SPACE! When you don't have an elite OL with a bunch of maulers & road graders the one thing you don't do is put them in a position to lose by making them block longer than they should. In an uptempo offense the ball is moving quickly on both Pass & Run plays which makes it easier for the OL to sustain quicker blocking assignments & doesn't force them to deal with a pass rush they can't contain.

For whatever reason we keep getting these fckin play callers that think the way to solve our OL issues is to just let them get beat over & over again and then eventually they'll figure it out smfh. Jakai Clark, Zion Nelson, Donaldson & Scaife all looked like sh*t vs CMU, that to me speaks to the coaching staff not properly developing them & not teaching them correctly. It's un-fckin-believable that we haven't had an OL worth a **** in basically 5 years.

We play extremely slow as an offense with these long developing plays that get blown up in the backfield as soon as the ball is snapped. We play with no tempo at all, we should be going at breakneck speed & forcing teams to pick their poison in what they wanna sellout to Defend. PACE & SPACE, you can run the ball effectively out of the Spread while still having a lethal passing attack going with multiple 4-wide sets & when you pickup the pace of play going tempo you keep the Defense on their heels & off balanced.

Look at most of the top 30 teams in Total Offense, Oklahoma, Wash St, Arizona, LSU, Utah St, UCF, Bama, Maryland, Wake Forest, Ok St, Oh St, SMU, Baylor, Texas, Memphis & Boise St, what do they ALL have in common... SCHEME, TEMPO (PACE) & SPACING. The specific scheme may differ from each team in terms of verbiage & play calling, but the concepts are all similar & the overall philosophy is very much the same... ATTACK YOUR OPPONENTS WEAKNESSES WITH YOUR STRENGTHS & SPREAD THE DEFENSE OUT TO OPEN UP THE FIELD.

I've seen enough on this slow antiquated 1995 under center Offense, we're not Wisconsin, or BC, or Iowa, or Michigan State, we don't have the players to run this type of Offense that our OC's keep wanting to run here. We need to get with the times & Spread the got **** ball out & start utilizing our skill players better putting them in position to succeed.

The reason why we always have a bunch of talented under utilized players is because we get these dictator OC's that wanna run these old *** overly & unnecessarily complicated offenses that take 4 years to learn the playbook, while simultaneously never actually yielding any results. What fckin sense does it make to run the most complex offense ever that essentially neutralizes your own skill players & debilitates your OLine & can still be easily beaten by FCS D Coordinators & teams with less talent?

Back in November of last year I made a thread about the next HC candidates I think would do well here, the top guys were Josh Heupel, Mike Norvell, Dino Babers & Neal Brown. My reasoning was, they would bring their high powered offenses to Miami with the caliber of athletes we have which would immediately increase offensive productvity which would get us easy W's vs teams that we're more talented than, which would then also put us in position to go on a run making us a more viable team in the Coastal, which would then make us more attractive to recruits.

Manny was not on my list. I like Manny & am willing to give him time to get it right realizing full well he's not gettin fired in year 1; what my hope is is that Enos gets hired somewhere else after this season (no he's not going to Mich St as a HC, if anything he'll go be a OC for another team or possibly get hired by a MAC/Sun Belt team as a HC) & maybe we can finally get smart & hire a guy from the Oklahoma Air Raid/Spread tree to put us in position to stop playing down to competition.

@Liberty City El i said briles should have been the OC choice. **** Mike Gundy could work with his offense. Idk how his personality would mesh but he does more with less every year

Advertisement
Pass on him, I would haven taken a josh heupel and hired excellent recruiters around him with a great dc
People don't want to here it but mario might have been a better hire than diaz as far as hiring guys with miami ties.

Mario is elite on the trail. He has a modern offense at oregon and they are averaging 39 a game. And the defense is ranked 13th right now.

People don't want to here but mario might have been a better hire than diaz as far as hiring guys with miami ties.

Mario is elite on the trail. He has a modern offense at oregon and they are averaging 39 a game. And the defense is ranked 13th right now.
That was the guy I wanted Because he understands the concept and importance of being an elite recruiter and I knew The offense would have been fine, defense ulitmately too

Advertisement
We're never going to have the line for it & there's variations of Air Raid/Spread offenses that focus primarily on running the ball. Memphis & UCF's system is a run first offense that also has a great passing scheme.

Oklahoma doesn't run the same Air Raid as Wash St, they run the ball way more effectively while still being an elite passing offense.

The old school traditional style under center offense doesn't work here anymore like it did in the 90's & early 00's, we don't have the OL & we can't recruit the type of linemen needed to develop it over time.

We need to go Spread & start running a lot more plays per game.
Often wonder why we see this B4 our staff does. Seems pretty freaking obvious

If we cut out the sh*t that doesn’t work like the fullback, bunch formations etc and create more spacing by spreading the receivers out and operating MORE out of shotgun this offense can be **** good. But if we keep trying to force the play action with the fullback in there on 3rd and long etc we will be horrible. Hopefully they adjust and adapt to our offense strengths. People been throwing all year on central Michigan yet we try to come out and establish the run after the first drive and it back fires. Continue to do what’s working, stop trying to force the run game, we aren’t dominant there yet.
You should stick to being a male nurse

I strongly disagree. Air raid offenses lead to tired out and gassed defenses. I think you need to find a balance. I like what we are trying to do we just dont have the line for it rn.

You also don't have to go breakneck speed all the time a la Dino Babers - we could spread it out and still control the ball. I do like that aspect of our current offense, when it's working correctly. With this shaky at times defense I don't think we can afford to have a bunch of quick 3 and outs. Find the balance.

I think that execution is being largely overlooked by everyone right now, but I can't argue with any of this.

I think Enos is better than we're giving him credit for, but I also wonder why it's so fcking rare that a coach can see when he's wrong. I really don't get why coaches are more interested in having the offense/defense they picked out years ago succeed than just succeeding. Everyone will love you just as much if you switch schemes and win as if you won with "your" scheme. Literally nobody but the coach gives a fck. Winning is the only thing we care about, I wish they could all say the same.
'Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing!" Vince Lombardi

Advertisement
To me the issue with this team on both sides of the ball is scheme more so than personnel.

Particularly on Offense, I've felt we need to go to a Spread Offense since 2016 due to the fact we simply don't have the OL to run the scheme these play callers Miami keeps hiring wants us to run.

WE ARE NOT A POWER RUN UNDER CENTER "PRO STYLE" Offense. We don't have the OT's to protect long enough for 5-7 step Play Action drops & we don't have the the interior line to open up big holes & create sufficient run lanes.

We need to stop fighting against ourselves & transition to a Spread/Air Raid style offense, because 1) we have the Offensive weapons that fit that scheme perfectly & 2) it would neutralize having to always rely on the Defense to be more stout than they're capable of.

We should be beating teams off the fact we have speed & athleticism combined with making them defend the ENTIRE field. The exact same issues we had last year, we have this year, we're slow, predictable & easily shut down on Offense by any DC with half a brain because we don't apply any pressure to Defenses whatsoever, we play right into their hands.

In today's era of College Football you can manufacture yards without having elite talent all over the field, the name of the PACE & SPACE! When you don't have an elite OL with a bunch of maulers & road graders the one thing you don't do is put them in a position to lose by making them block longer than they should. In an uptempo offense the ball is moving quickly on both Pass & Run plays which makes it easier for the OL to sustain quicker blocking assignments & doesn't force them to deal with a pass rush they can't contain.

For whatever reason we keep getting these fckin play callers that think the way to solve our OL issues is to just let them get beat over & over again and then eventually they'll figure it out smfh. Jakai Clark, Zion Nelson, Donaldson & Scaife all looked like sh*t vs CMU, that to me speaks to the coaching staff not properly developing them & not teaching them correctly. It's un-fckin-believable that we haven't had an OL worth a **** in basically 5 years.

We play extremely slow as an offense with these long developing plays that get blown up in the backfield as soon as the ball is snapped. We play with no tempo at all, we should be going at breakneck speed & forcing teams to pick their poison in what they wanna sellout to Defend. PACE & SPACE, you can run the ball effectively out of the Spread while still having a lethal passing attack going with multiple 4-wide sets & when you pickup the pace of play going tempo you keep the Defense on their heels & off balanced.

Look at most of the top 30 teams in Total Offense, Oklahoma, Wash St, Arizona, LSU, Utah St, UCF, Bama, Maryland, Wake Forest, Ok St, Oh St, SMU, Baylor, Texas, Memphis & Boise St, what do they ALL have in common... SCHEME, TEMPO (PACE) & SPACING. The specific scheme may differ from each team in terms of verbiage & play calling, but the concepts are all similar & the overall philosophy is very much the same... ATTACK YOUR OPPONENTS WEAKNESSES WITH YOUR STRENGTHS & SPREAD THE DEFENSE OUT TO OPEN UP THE FIELD.

I've seen enough on this slow antiquated 1995 under center Offense, we're not Wisconsin, or BC, or Iowa, or Michigan State, we don't have the players to run this type of Offense that our OC's keep wanting to run here. We need to get with the times & Spread the got **** ball out & start utilizing our skill players better putting them in position to succeed.

The reason why we always have a bunch of talented under utilized players is because we get these dictator OC's that wanna run these old *** overly & unnecessarily complicated offenses that take 4 years to learn the playbook, while simultaneously never actually yielding any results. What fckin sense does it make to run the most complex offense ever that essentially neutralizes your own skill players & debilitates your OLine & can still be easily beaten by FCS D Coordinators & teams with less talent?

Back in November of last year I made a thread about the next HC candidates I think would do well here, the top guys were Josh Heupel, Mike Norvell, Dino Babers & Neal Brown. My reasoning was, they would bring their high powered offenses to Miami with the caliber of athletes we have which would immediately increase offensive productvity which would get us easy W's vs teams that we're more talented than, which would then also put us in position to go on a run making us a more viable team in the Coastal, which would then make us more attractive to recruits.

Manny was not on my list. I like Manny & am willing to give him time to get it right realizing full well he's not gettin fired in year 1; what my hope is is that Enos gets hired somewhere else after this season (no he's not going to Mich St as a HC, if anything he'll go be a OC for another team or possibly get hired by a MAC/Sun Belt team as a HC) & maybe we can finally get smart & hire a guy from the Oklahoma Air Raid/Spread tree to put us in position to stop playing down to competition.

I'm no football expert, maybe @Liberty City El or someone else can tell me if I'm making any sense here:

The thing I don't understand about our stubborn loyalty to pro-style football is, didn't we win 2 of our 5 national titles with a coach that brought us an innovative spread offense?

It's not like we've never run the spread here and don't know what to expect. We're not some wishbone school that has never thrown the ball that is now having cold feet about stepping out of its comfort zone. Never mind OTHER schools' success with the spread. We've had success before running a version of the spread OURSELVES.

A good chunk of our glorious history is tied to running something other than the pro-style we've spent the last number of years trying to protect.

Again, I'm no John Madden. I don't profess to know the ins and outs of all these offenses, but that part just doesn't make sense to me.

Air raid is not what I want. Power spread like what Ohio state is using is ideal. The only position we can consistently recruit national talent is TE since we still have league cache. We need to exploit this but also make use of our ability to get receivers and running backs. With the air raid your run game suffers. Good teams run the ball well.

We also don’t need to hike the ball in hyper speed. This doesn’t give the defense time to rest and if you’re not on your game you defense will suffer. Look at Ucf against Pitt. Pitt stopped them on first and second and then they go three and out in under a minute. Or they line up and need to get a play called correctly and the rhythm is off. What Ohio state runs is what we need to run. No doubt about it.

If you run the Mickey Mouse **** your defense will start to suck. There’s no air raid team with a good defense. Even LSU gave up 33 to vandy.

Make no mistake we need to make a change. But some of y’all are wishing for the wrong thing

People don't want to here it but mario might have been a better hire than diaz as far as hiring guys with miami ties.

Mario's OL & recruiting with Mike Yurcich at OC and a fast attacking defense? Yes sir!

Advertisement

You are advocating for something that isn't complimentary football. Sure, we could rack up more yards and more points, but we'd find ourselves pulling our hair out because we're losing in shootouts. Ask FSU fans how they felt when Briles was running up tempo when they were clinging to a one possession lead with 4 minutes left in the game against UVA.

Last edited:
Air raid is not what I want. Power spread like what Ohio state is using is ideal. The only position we can consistently recruit national talent is TE since we still have league cache. We need to exploit this but also make use of our ability to get receivers and running backs. With the air raid your run game suffers. Good teams run the ball well.

We also don’t need to hike the ball in hyper speed. This doesn’t give the defense time to rest and if you’re not on your game you defense will suffer. Look at Ucf against Pitt. Pitt stopped them on first and second and then they go three and out in under a minute. Or they line up and need to get a play called correctly and the rhythm is off. What Ohio state runs is what we need to run. No doubt about it.

If you run the Mickey Mouse **** your defense will start to suck. There’s no air raid team with a good defense. Even LSU gave up 33 to vandy.

Make no mistake we need to make a change. But some of y’all are wishing for the wrong thing
Like i said a offense like what fedora ran at unc or what clemson does is fine.

Zero doubt, but then again that's been the case around here for the last 2 decades.

****** or underqualified coaches tend to hire ****** coordinators.

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know what to do with our kids, these guys we are hiring just don’t seem to be smart!! There are some mid-level coordinators that would have our team humming.

Advertisement
Good job Manny - You hired an OC who basically runs a different dinosaur version of Richt's offense.. SMH

And he's stubborn as **** just like him too

If the whole year goes like this and no offensive adjustments are made, 1 - We'll lose at least 3 more games, and 2 - Manny will need to make changes to the Offensive Staff he hired.

If 1 happens and he doesn't change staff, we know we don't have our coach, yet again

Advertisement
Back