It's all about the X's & O's...

I strongly disagree. Air raid offenses lead to tired out and gassed defenses. I think you need to find a balance. I like what we are trying to do we just dont have the line for it rn.
We're never going to have the line for it & there's variations of Air Raid/Spread offenses that focus primarily on running the ball. Memphis & UCF's system is a run first offense that also has a great passing scheme.

Oklahoma doesn't run the same Air Raid as Wash St, they run the ball way more effectively while still being an elite passing offense.

The old school traditional style under center offense doesn't work here anymore like it did in the 90's & early 00's, we don't have the OL & we can't recruit the type of linemen needed to develop it over time.

We need to go Spread & start running a lot more plays per game.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Yeah. We should be running what FSU is running. That would solve all our problems.

Working out great for them!

I’m not a fan of Briles but If you look at the final scores, FSU is putting up more points than we are this season. Takeaway the Bethune Cookman game (63-0) and FSUs highest scoring game (45-44 against ULM), FSU is averaging 30 points per game compared to Miami’s 20.6 points per game.

Yet none of those teams are true competitors. Why? Because your defense is out there for the entire game and they eventually get gassed up.
What kinda Offense you think Oklahoma, Oh St, Bama & Clemson are running?

The point is to put an offense on the field that will score points so we can get W's bs teams we're supposed to beat, which would give us a shot at the ACCCG, which would finally start to make recruits want to stay home & play for Miami because we would be consistently winning games.

The offense we're running now & the pro style we've run under Richt & Folden didn't work, so why not try something new that is guaranteed to work.

Advertisement
To me the issue with this team on both sides of the ball is scheme more so than personnel.

Particularly on Offense, I've felt we need to go to a Spread Offense since 2016 due to the fact we simply don't have the OL to run the scheme these play callers Miami keeps hiring wants us to run.

WE ARE NOT A POWER RUN UNDER CENTER "PRO STYLE" Offense. We don't have the OT's to protect long enough for 5-7 step Play Action drops & we don't have the the interior line to open up big holes & create sufficient run lanes.

We need to stop fighting against ourselves & transition to a Spread/Air Raid style offense, because 1) we have the Offensive weapons that fit that scheme perfectly & 2) it would neutralize having to always rely on the Defense to be more stout than they're capable of.

We should be beating teams off the fact we have speed & athleticism combined with making them defend the ENTIRE field. The exact same issues we had last year, we have this year, we're slow, predictable & easily shut down on Offense by any DC with half a brain because we don't apply any pressure to Defenses whatsoever, we play right into their hands.

In today's era of College Football you can manufacture yards without having elite talent all over the field, the name of the PACE & SPACE! When you don't have an elite OL with a bunch of maulers & road graders the one thing you don't do is put them in a position to lose by making them block longer than they should. In an uptempo offense the ball is moving quickly on both Pass & Run plays which makes it easier for the OL to sustain quicker blocking assignments & doesn't force them to deal with a pass rush they can't contain.

For whatever reason we keep getting these fckin play callers that think the way to solve our OL issues is to just let them get beat over & over again and then eventually they'll figure it out smfh. Jakai Clark, Zion Nelson, Donaldson & Scaife all looked like sh*t vs CMU, that to me speaks to the coaching staff not properly developing them & not teaching them correctly. It's un-fckin-believable that we haven't had an OL worth a **** in basically 5 years.

We play extremely slow as an offense with these long developing plays that get blown up in the backfield as soon as the ball is snapped. We play with no tempo at all, we should be going at breakneck speed & forcing teams to pick their poison in what they wanna sellout to Defend. PACE & SPACE, you can run the ball effectively out of the Spread while still having a lethal passing attack going with multiple 4-wide sets & when you pickup the pace of play going tempo you keep the Defense on their heels & off balanced.

Look at most of the top 30 teams in Total Offense, Oklahoma, Wash St, Arizona, LSU, Utah St, UCF, Bama, Maryland, Wake Forest, Ok St, Oh St, SMU, Baylor, Texas, Memphis & Boise St, what do they ALL have in common... SCHEME, TEMPO (PACE) & SPACING. The specific scheme may differ from each team in terms of verbiage & play calling, but the concepts are all similar & the overall philosophy is very much the same... ATTACK YOUR OPPONENTS WEAKNESSES WITH YOUR STRENGTHS & SPREAD THE DEFENSE OUT TO OPEN UP THE FIELD.

I've seen enough on this slow antiquated 1995 under center Offense, we're not Wisconsin, or BC, or Iowa, or Michigan State, we don't have the players to run this type of Offense that our OC's keep wanting to run here. We need to get with the times & Spread the got **** ball out & start utilizing our skill players better putting them in position to succeed.

The reason why we always have a bunch of talented under utilized players is because we get these dictator OC's that wanna run these old *** overly & unnecessarily complicated offenses that take 4 years to learn the playbook, while simultaneously never actually yielding any results. What fckin sense does it make to run the most complex offense ever that essentially neutralizes your own skill players & debilitates your OLine & can still be easily beaten by FCS D Coordinators & teams with less talent?

Back in November of last year I made a thread about the next HC candidates I think would do well here, the top guys were Josh Heupel, Mike Norvell, Dino Babers & Neal Brown. My reasoning was, they would bring their high powered offenses to Miami with the caliber of athletes we have which would immediately increase offensive productvity which would get us easy W's vs teams that we're more talented than, which would then also put us in position to go on a run making us a more viable team in the Coastal, which would then make us more attractive to recruits.

Manny was not on my list. I like Manny & am willing to give him time to get it right realizing full well he's not gettin fired in year 1; what my hope is is that Enos gets hired somewhere else after this season (no he's not going to Mich St as a HC, if anything he'll go be a OC for another team or possibly get hired by a MAC/Sun Belt team as a HC) & maybe we can finally get smart & hire a guy from the Oklahoma Air Raid/Spread tree to put us in position to stop playing down to competition.
I think that execution is being largely overlooked by everyone right now, but I can't argue with any of this.

I think Enos is better than we're giving him credit for, but I also wonder why it's so fcking rare that a coach can see when he's wrong. I really don't get why coaches are more interested in having the offense/defense they picked out years ago succeed than just succeeding. Everyone will love you just as much if you switch schemes and win as if you won with "your" scheme. Literally nobody but the coach gives a fck. Winning is the only thing we care about, I wish they could all say the same.

Lincoln Riley and Bill Bedenbaugh were Leach disciples and took the Air Raid and added a power run element to it because Oklahoma had good RBs. Worked out pretty well for them. We're not getting Riley, but Bedenbaugh has said many times he is looking for a chance to be a playcalling OC.
Many people pointed to the fact he’d be bad at it because he’s never called plays before.

Now I’m not saying play calling is irrelevant, but scheme is a lot more important than play calling. Bedenbaugh would have no trouble calling plays once he would institute the spread with our athletes.

Advertisement
The offense has been a second half problem for them.
Their entire team is a problem for them.

But one example of Briles's offense not working in the 2nd half of games doesn't invalidate the Spread & Air Raid systems. There's literally 30+ examples of it actually working & being highly effective to use FSU as a catch all for it not working (when FSU's offense isn't even their main problem).

Advertisement
We're never going to have the line for it & there's variations of Air Raid/Spread offenses that focus primarily on running the ball. Memphis & UCF's system is a run first offense that also has a great passing scheme.

Oklahoma doesn't run the same Air Raid as Wash St, they run the ball way more effectively while still being an elite passing offense.

The old school traditional style under center offense doesn't work here anymore like it did in the 90's & early 00's, we don't have the OL & we can't recruit the type of linemen needed to develop it over time.

We need to go Spread & start running a lot more plays per game.
Play a fun style of football & we'll keep getting Mike Harley & Jeff Thomas types. There's even an Ahmmon Richards or 2 to be had every few years. Run the ball decent enough and we'll get the Cam Harris & Duke Johnson's to be had. The OL can develop the 6'4" 290 type of OLmen we have down here, the 4* McDermotts & Linders @ OT, the 3* OLmen like Gaynor & other go inside, become solid O. The just get the fastest talent possible on D. Win 10 games every year, then we can start talking about getting over that hump.

Advertisement
Back