It’s baffling to me how ignorant modern day sports are as to prioritization/ marketing/ communication

futurecane

Redshirt Freshman
“Win the crowd” - Proximo to Maximus, Gladiator. One of the best quotes in movie history, and one of the deepest.

In any sport, there is only one “winner” at the end of each season or tournament. Everyone else is a loser. What that means is that the odds are very much against you, even if you are an elite team. Therefore, it is important not just to WIN, but also how to manage LOSS.

Because you will lose more than you win, even as a top program (Alabama being the exception in the last few years, of course). If your only goal is to build and prepare for winning constantly, there will be a lot of losing on the way, and even a fair amount of losing once you have reached the pinnacle.

Mario doesn’t understand this. It’s ok to win, and it’s ok to lose, but HOW you do it, communicate and “win the crowd” is important. Why?

Because ultimately, it’s all one ecosystem. The crowd, the team, the coach, the university, it’s important for all to be aligned; if not, impatience, malaise and team unity is greatly impacted. This leads to recruiting being impacted, which ultimately hurts the “winning” aspect.

Businesses understand this. It’s not enough to have a great product, but HOW you market it is critical. The world is littered with bankrupt companies that had a better product, but failed in addressing the market.

What does this mean in concrete for Mario? He has to acknowledge that year 1 wasn’t as successful as it should have been, and WHY. Yes, the players aren’t as good as they should have been (why didn’t you bring in better transfers? Are the really that bad that they couldn’t beat MTSU with some coaching?), but Mario needs to take some blame, as do the coaches. Which coaches, and what steps they are taking to address these failings are important, and nothing of the sort has been addressed.

“Win and they will come” is not sufficient… you will lose more than you win.

Last edited:
Advertisement
There is also another quote that is apropos to many football seasons....."**** happens"

Got another movie quote for you. "Win and they will come." Field of Dreams I believe.

Vast majority of people in Miami have no clue who Josh Gattis is and don't care who the OC for the Miami Hurricanes is, people will get on the bandwagon when we win games, nobody cares HOW we win. Just win.

Only diehards are in the weeds like that.

I wish Mario would hurry up and get us a new OC, but it has nothing to do with winning the crowd.

Advertisement
I’m glad someone finally brings this up

Hopefully someone will pass along this info to Mario

It’s common across sports, not just Mario. I used him as the example, but it’s fascinating to me that coaches don’t understand that they are selling a product, and the end consumer is the fan.

Selling wins is an easy way to fail.

It’s common across sports, not just Mario. I used him as the example, but it’s fascinating to me that coaches don’t understand that they are selling a product, and the end consumer is the fan.

But the coaches aren’t selling a product and really don’t give a &$%# one way or the other what the fans think. They have to play nice in press conferences and booster events, but they are alpha males who are in it to win football games. The AD is the one who has to sell the product to fans.

“Win the crowd” - Proximo to Maximus, Gladiator. One of the best quotes in movie history, and one of the deepest.

In any sport, there is only one “winner” at the end of each season or tournament. Everyone else is a loser. What that means is that the odds are very much against you, even if you are an elite team. Therefore, it is important not just to WIN, but also how to manage LOSS.

Because you will lose more than you win, even as a top program (Alabama being the exception in the last few years, of course). If your only goal is to build and prepare for winning constantly, there will be a lot of losing on the way, and even a fair amount of losing once you have reached the pinnacle.

Mario doesn’t understand this. It’s ok to win, and it’s ok to lose, but HOW you do it, communicate and “win the crowd” is important. Why?

Because ultimately, it’s all one ecosystem. The crowd, the team, the coach, the university, it’s important for all to be aligned; if not, impatience, malaise and team unity is greatly impacted. This leads to recruiting being impacted, which ultimately hurts the “winning” aspect.

Businesses understand this. It’s not enough to have a great product, but HOW you market it is critical. The world is littered with bankrupt companies that had a better product, but failed in addressing the market.

What does this mean in concrete for Mario? He has to acknowledge that year 1 wasn’t as successful as it should have been, and WHY. Yes, the players aren’t as good as they should have been (why didn’t you bring in better transfers? Are the really that bad that they couldn’t beat MTSU with some coaching?), but Mario needs to take some blame, as do the coaches. Which coaches, and what steps they are taking to address these failings are important, and nothing of the sort has been addressed.

New thought provoking questions.

Totally messing around man. I’ve posted a lot of sarcastic comments here but never said anything actually trying to be a POS

I’m with ya. I’m sure Mario had a lot of looking in the mirror moments. We will see how it plays out

Advertisement

I also have one quote right now and it's in the form of a question: "Why is Gattis still here?"

Quite sophomoric. How about " Rome wasn't built in a day"? Look at the roman coliseum , the pyramids etc, etc in other words a great foundation leads to greatness. Not marketing and pizzazz. U must be an impatient college aged student not to comprehend. Jmo

Quite sophomoric. How about " Rome wasn't built in a day"? Look at the roman coliseum , the pyramids etc, etc in other words a great foundation leads to greatness. Not marketing and pizzazz. U must be an impatient college aged student not to comprehend. Jmo

Again, the wrong approach. Clearly, comprehension isn’t a strong point…

What happens when Rome is built? That’s my point, how you do something is how you do everything… You will lose a lot, both now and in the future. How do you handle that? What is the goal? Rome wasn’t built in a day, but as they conquered the Italian peninsula, whilst suffering setbacks from the Gauls and Samnites, there was a unifying force of both revenge and institutional memory that Rome could be beaten, but never conquered.

What is Mario attempting to build? Because a colossus with feet of clay will topple…

Advertisement
Why not bring your presentation over to the U and share what Mario and Highsmith need to do to be successful. You seem to know what Mario doesn’t get perhaps you can enlighten him.

I’ve been a Canes fan since 1986.

I’ve now watched a half-dozen coaches come in, and with hubris, arrogance and ignorance destroy all semblance of what was Miami.

Coker, Shannon, Golden, Richt, Diaz and Cristobal. I’ve given them all the benefit of the doubt, but at a certain point seeing outright incompetence over and over is just basic pattern recognition.

Do I want Mario to succeed? Of course I do! Will he succeed? Perhaps. The first year hasn’t been promising in that regard. His weak points remain, and additional ones have surfaced.

At the end of the season, college football teams have a record that consists of wins and losses.

When you have more wins than losses, you spend your time on creating more wins. When you have more losses than wins, you spend your time creating more wins.

Advertisement
At the end of the season, college football teams have a record that consists of wins and losses.

When you have more wins than losses, you spend your time on creating more wins. When you have more losses than wins, you spend your time creating more wins.

My point centers not on the win/loss column, but on ultimate “winning”, which for a football team is a national championship.

Even a staggeringly successful head coach, who never wins a championship but goes 11-1/10-2 every year will ultimately be replaced. That is the goal, and if you are in the playoff conversation every year but fail to achieve that prize, eventually the fans grow restless.

My point is not around manufacturing more wins, it’s about understanding that wins alone won’t solve anything. Unless you can repeatedly bring 12-0 seasons, you will fail. The amount of cushion and time the fan base will grant you, and recruits, is based on how you handle losing.

My point centers not on the win/loss column, but on ultimate “winning”, which for a football team is a national championship.

Even a staggeringly successful head coach, who never wins a championship but goes 11-1/10-2 every year will ultimately be replaced. That is the goal, and if you are in the playoff conversation every year but fail to achieve that prize, eventually the fans grow restless.

My point is not around manufacturing more wins, it’s about understanding that wins alone won’t solve anything. Unless you can repeatedly bring 12-0 seasons, you will fail. The amount of cushion and time the fan base will grant you, and recruits, is based on how you handle losing.
The West German is right about this thread.

Advertisement
Back