It’s baffling to me how ignorant modern day sports are as to prioritization/ marketing/ communication

Sure, sure.

Keep Gattis and see how many people actually show up for games.

Miami fans haven’t ever shown up for our mediocre teams, regardless of the names of the coordinators. Miami fans don’t even show up for our good teams unless it’s a big game. Our fans still don’t know who Josh Gattis is, whether they show up or not. Terrible point.

Advertisement
I feel like I need a @Baba Yaga gif of Russell Crow from Gladiator with Gattis' head on it axing, "Do you not be entertained?!?!?"
Gotchu.

20221210_201250.gif

Last edited:
How do you the seasons failures haven’t been addressed behind closed doors ? I understand being frustrated at no coaching changes being publicly announced up to this point or portal adds being finalized, but I have a hard time believing a guy like Mario would be that obtuse. We need to let it play out as it seems closing on ESD is his urgent priority.

How do you the seasons failures haven’t been addressed behind closed doors ? I understand being frustrated at no coaching changes being publicly announced up to this point or portal adds being finalized, but I have a hard time believing a guy like Mario would be that obtuse. We need to let it play out as it seems closing on ESD is his urgent priority.

Have you been a Miami fan the last 20 years? Because at this point our tolerance for anything approaching incompetence is near zero.

Advertisement
No I've only been following this team since we made the all time home run hire of Gattis da Gaww 🙄

I know my brother, that was made in jest. At this point, sadly, Coker, Shannon, Golden etc have destroyed any semblance of “waiting” for the right results.

Mario underperformed this season, and is underperforming the off-season. We all know how this story ends if not corrected.

The funny thing is Manny 1.0 was all marketing and no substance. Thus the hype off seasons when it’s literally only marketing that matters.

A feeling I have is that Mario saw all that, and scoffed at it so hard, that he’s actually trying to purposely distance himself from that regime aesthetically as much as possible. But in trying to portray having as little in common with Diaz as possible he’s making all these dumb mistakes. The biggest one being NOT FIRING FAST.

The OP is dead on with his thoughts. How long will fans spend money to go to games the product that Mario put on the field. There was a lot of enthusiasm this year and season ticket sales were in anticipation of Mario bringing an improved product when in fact the opposite happened. Each game fewer and fewer of the tickets were actually used and people will start questioning why they’re spending what disposable income they have for these games. it’s not like they’re having a good time and getting their money’s worth. Its easier to keep the customer you have vs finding a new one. This rebuild cannot take years.if there’s not significant improvement next year the downward spiral will accelerate.
The staff needs to get a sense of urgency, they’ve blown it so far and are out of mulligans.

I’ve been around the boards since Grassy and I’m pretty sure I’ve never seen the word ecosystem on a football board.

Advertisement
“Win the crowd” - Proximo to Maximus, Gladiator. One of the best quotes in movie history, and one of the deepest.

In any sport, there is only one “winner” at the end of each season or tournament. Everyone else is a loser. What that means is that the odds are very much against you, even if you are an elite team. Therefore, it is important not just to WIN, but also how to manage LOSS.

Because you will lose more than you win, even as a top program (Alabama being the exception in the last few years, of course). If your only goal is to build and prepare for winning constantly, there will be a lot of losing on the way, and even a fair amount of losing once you have reached the pinnacle.

Mario doesn’t understand this. It’s ok to win, and it’s ok to lose, but HOW you do it, communicate and “win the crowd” is important. Why?

Because ultimately, it’s all one ecosystem. The crowd, the team, the coach, the university, it’s important for all to be aligned; if not, impatience, malaise and team unity is greatly impacted. This leads to recruiting being impacted, which ultimately hurts the “winning” aspect.

Businesses understand this. It’s not enough to have a great product, but HOW you market it is critical. The world is littered with bankrupt companies that had a better product, but failed in addressing the market.

What does this mean in concrete for Mario? He has to acknowledge that year 1 wasn’t as successful as it should have been, and WHY. Yes, the players aren’t as good as they should have been (why didn’t you bring in better transfers? Are the really that bad that they couldn’t beat MTSU with some coaching?), but Mario needs to take some blame, as do the coaches. Which coaches, and what steps they are taking to address these failings are important, and nothing of the sort has been addressed.

“Win and they will come” is not sufficient… you will lose more than you win.
Bad and Boring is an awful combination and thats what we were this year

You're looking too much into this.

"Win and they will come" simply means build a winning program and compete for conference and national titles annually—and THEN they will come.

Sports is all about hope and even in a year Alabama doesn't win it (or the rare miss the Playoffs season)—you know good-and-****-well that Saban will have a foot up this team's *** all offseason and will recruit well and that the Crimson Tide will be in the thick of things again next year.

Same for Dabo and Clemson now that he seems to have found his quarterback after the failed DJ experiment.

Georgia is now always there. Ohio State is always there. Michigan is now a program that is always there.

Programs like Texas, Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Miami, Oregon, USC, Tennessee, et al are doing all they can to try and get back there.

There isn't much "marketing" that needs to be done to get people interested in six home games a year if you're winning. Especially in college towns with nothing else to do.

Miami will always have a different challenge as en events town with countless ways to spend the entertainment dollar. Fans will show out for Florida State or other marquee games, but not matter how much you "market" you're not packing HardRock for Bethune-Cookman or Duke.

It takes big games for people to care, as most fans aren't alumni, the stadium isn't on campus, the student body is small and there are always other things to do in Miami.

You're looking too much into this.

"Win and they will come" simply means build a winning program and compete for conference and national titles annually—and THEN they will come.

Sports is all about hope and even in a year Alabama doesn't win it (or the rare miss the Playoffs season)—you know good-and-****-well that Saban will have a foot up this team's *** all offseason and will recruit well and that the Crimson Tide will be in the thick of things again next year.

Same for Dabo and Clemson now that he seems to have found his quarterback after the failed DJ experiment.

Georgia is now always there. Ohio State is always there. Michigan is now a program that is always there.

Programs like Texas, Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Miami, Oregon, USC, Tennessee, et al are doing all they can to try and get back there.

There isn't much "marketing" that needs to be done to get people interested in six home games a year if you're winning. Especially in college towns with nothing else to do.

Miami will always have a different challenge as en events town with countless ways to spend the entertainment dollar. Fans will show out for Florida State or other marquee games, but not matter how much you "market" you're not packing HardRock for Bethune-Cookman or Duke.

It takes big games for people to care, as most fans aren't alumni, the stadium isn't on campus, the student body is small and there are always other things to do in Miami.

The problem is, in order to get to “winning”, it takes time, money, effort, patience… and the right decisions.

We now have a 20 year track record of the wrong decisions, and the fanbase is tired of it. Another season like this last one, and Mario won’t get to the 4th/5th season where MAYBE “winning” could be seen.

That’s my point. You have to win, yes, but do your absolute best to get the longest leash from the fanbase… you will likely need it.

Advertisement
Back