Issiah Walker

Advertisement
I think we've got to be in "Now" mode. Winning records and showing growth is essential. There will be an Isaiah Walker in every class.

But we rarely land them. We missed on Marcus Tate for 2021 and lost out on Michael Tarquin and Darius Washington in 2019. Our other 4* linemen in Scaife, Reed and Donaldson are all interior guys. We'll see the progression from Jalen Rivers and Campbell this year, although Rivers may end up inside as well. Can't afford to pass on a OT as good as Walker.

Baylor probably has a better chance of landing Jarrid Williams than Miami.

edit: just saw the twitter stuff that gogeta posted. Definitely more important for him to get his mind right before football.

Last edited by a moderator:
based off of his twitter activity.

Back in febuary there was a random post about ending it. Dad came on and said he was talkingabout football( red flag).

Then the recent post he made about being lonely.

Sounds like a case of going up to gainesville mid january and getting a quick taste of home sickness combined with girlfriend issues.

Kid just needs to be back home and around his family..wherever he goes he should take a shirt until his stuff is on straight.

I personally would take him..as even sense coming home he appears to be in shape and has been working out.

Alot of that recruiting stuff is cool and hype until you get to the school and realize your a number and at the bottom of the totem pole...some dont know how to handle it. Even at a place you may have thought u would like living.

Out if curiosity if you had to chose between this kid and the grad transfer who would you take?

Advertisement
But we rarely land them. We missed on Marcus Tate for 2021 and lost out on Michael Tarquin and Darius Washington in 2019. Our other 4* linemen in Scaife, Reed and Donaldson are all interior guys. We'll see the progression from Jalen Rivers and Campbell this year, although Rivers may end up inside as well. Can't afford to pass on a OT as good as Walker.

Baylor probably has a better chance of landing Jarrid Williams than Miami.

edit: just saw the twitter stuff that gogeta posted. Definitely more important for him to get his mind right before football.

Kinda glad we missed out on em. Tarquin makes Navaugn Donaldson footwork look like Jeff Thomas's. They play Scaife in the interior...he can perform well out at tackle...but he is like 6'2 1/2-6'3 and doesnt fit the prototype. Literally cost us game last year not leaving him at tackle but ...oh well.

I'd rather get a guy now instead of the famous "surprise" and then nothing happens.

Get a guy now for one good year or get a blue chipper for 3-5 yrs and most of those yrs could be a potential starting tackle. UM won’t get the scholly back with the grad transfer, essentially it would be in the red. My take, you choose Walker 100 out of 100 times.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Out if curiosity if you had to chose between this kid and the grad transfer who would you take?

I havent seen the grad transfer. He may be a plug n play type.

Walker with his head on straight is an all conference kid down the road. When he hits a college s&c he will explode even more...i think he can get his mind right being nearer to home and having his family support systems a 20 min drive away.

I dont see a reason not to take both!....essentially maybe grayshirting or redshirting Walker if need be just to legitimately get him on campus. Im sure UF will be trying to get him back int he fold though. I'm taking Walker over Willie Moise if it comes to it

Kinda glad we missed out on em. Tarquin makes Navaugn Donaldson footwork look like Jeff Thomas's. They play Scaife in the interior...he can perform well out at tackle...but he is like 6'2 1/2-6'3 and doesnt fit the prototype. Literally cost us game last year not leaving him at tackle but ...oh well.

we stuck to our original starting 5 in the UF game for way too long. Tarquin and Washington aren't anything special but they were the guys the staff had at the top of their board - for better or worse. Scaife is our best offensive lineman, never worried about him. Need to surround him with more talent. Hopefully one of the "project" offensive linemen like ElGammal, Traore, etc can step up down the line. Washington and Zion have good frames for Justisce and Feeley to work with...we'll see. John Campbell will have a lot of responsibility on his plate this year.

I could see a scenario like this

GT OT Williams as the last counter.

Walker commits to Miami, doesnt enroll until August 1st and is counted forward to the 2021 class.

Moise is greyshirted and counts in the 2021 class or he never enrolls.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Amass as much OL talent as possible by all means necessary until this Titanic of an OL is righted.

Walker with his head on straight is an all conference kid down the road. When he hits a college s&c he will explode even more...i think he can get his mind right being nearer to home and having his family support systems a 20 min drive away.

I dont see a reason not to take both!....essentially maybe grayshirting or redshirting Walker if need be just to legitimately get him on campus. Im sure UF will be trying to get him back int he fold though. I'm taking Walker over Willie Moise if it comes to it

As of a couple days ago the transfer wasn’t a take, unless something changes I wouldn’t expect him.

Advertisement
we stuck to our original starting 5 in the UF game for way too long. Tarquin and Washington aren't anything special but they were the guys the staff had at the top of their board - for better or worse. Scaife is our best offensive lineman, never worried about him. Need to surround him with more talent. Hopefully one of the "project" offensive linemen like ElGammal, Traore, etc can step up down the line. Washington and Zion have good frames for Justisce and Feeley to work with...we'll see. John Campbell will have a lot of responsibility on his plate this year.
I read that Traore was actually our starting guard during the week of spring practice. He supposedly looked pretty good

Advertisement
Couldn't they attend Miami on financial aid in the Fall, and be added to the 2021 class on football scholarship for the January term? That was the scenario I thought was being thrown around. In Walker's case, especially, that may be the best thing for the young man assuming his depression is clinical and not just homesickness.

Financial aid?

My first year at Miami, tuition was $8,800 for the year. It is now...considerably...higher.

Not to mention the cost of the dorms, meal plan, etc.

I got a half-tuition scholarship because I missed the special day IN THE FALL where they handed out all of the full scholarships.

What other "financial aid" might be available? I'm sure there are a few need-based items, Pell Grants, etc. There are also student loans. Work study (probably a no-go due to football practice schedule).

Bottom line is that there is probably no way to package up a FULL-RIDE with free money, there would be a LOT of loan money involved, and even then a "walk-on" student athlete might not be allowed to use the athlete "meal plan" (when I went to UM, the athletes had a special cafeteria behind the Ibis Cafeteria).

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it is VERY hard to do this for athletes at this late date. Moise had to scrape and retake half of his high school classes just to qualify, so he's not getting the "Joaquin" scholarship. Lots of baseball players qualify for partial academic scholarships to offset what they don't get in athletic scholarships, but I really don't think that will happen with Moise.

Not trying to be negative, just trying to be analytical here.

Forgive my ignorance but what is an IC slot?

A few years ago, to offset the SEC oversigning problem (Ole Miss signed over 30 kids), the NCAA enacted an "Initial Counter" rule, which limits you to 25 slots that you give to recruited scholarship athletes per academic year (starting with fall semester/quarter).

Thus, the recruited scholarship football players that we enroll in August are limited to 25 per year, and this includes HS graduates, transfers, JuCos, and grad transfers. All of those categories of athletes count against your IC numbers.

Please don't try to play the "what about all those guys we didn't sign in 2012" game, or hypothesize about using 2021 IC slots.

Bottom line is that we have one IC slot left. There are no loopholes about "not signing an LOI until the summertime".

If a kid walks on, he has to be a walk-on for at least a year before getting a grant-in-aid.

It's simple. We have one IC slot left until January 2021, unless Manny is lying to recruits and sportswriters.

Redshirting is for kids on scholarship. Grayshirting is when kids delayed enrollment.

If Walker is the choice, then nobody else will be signed, not Moise, not the Houston grad-transfer.

Greyshirting may bee seen as more acceptable now by recruits with all of the uncertainty caused bye the Chi Com Wuhan virus.

Advertisement
Back