Issiah Walker in transfer portal

Advertisement
For those of you suggesting the kid quit, how is it any different from D'Eriq King bailing on his team 4 games into the season to preserve his eligibility . . . to play elsewhere?

It's a new era. These kids view the transfer availability as free agency of sorts. Kids are going to take advantage of it for various reasons. It's not necessarily because they quit, or they're primadonnas or lack heart or guts or whatever other label you want to throw at it.
How's a kid quitting after 2 months different than a kid transferring after 4 years at a program with a new HC and system coming in that he might not like?

Whatever tickles your fancy, bud. If you read El's post? You know he's saying the truth. That's sloppy seconds in my book. His star ranking doesn't influence me one bit.

Miami is a fat pimple-faced 35 year old virgin nerd whining that hot women never go for nice guys after getting turned down for a date. Then a hot chick breaks up with her boyfriend and says she'd like to buy dinner and get a hotel room, but now the virgin nerd is telling his friends he has too much pride for anyone's sloppy seconds.

Miamis program has been an embarrassment for almost two decades. If a player we recruited went elsewhere, I cant really blame him.

Advertisement
My $0.02 -- Kick the tires. It hurts us not at all to check him out. Manny has to win this year, so he's got to explore all options. But really check this kid out and see if he has his head screwed on straight. He is talented and has youth on his side, so that is a plus.

But if they see signs that he is a cancer, then do not sign this kid. Manny has proven to me that he is not strong enough to handle a tough locker room, so we can't have talented knuckleheads or things just spiral out of control.

Carefully check him out and then decide.

It ain’t about star ranking, issiah walker Is a STUD, people just got revisionist history apparently, we ALL wanted walker before he committed to the gators and marveled at how talented this kid was/is. Considering the fact he hasn’t played a down yet in college you take him.

Just playing devil's advocate because I dont know why he is transferring but let's pretend that this is true "he's quitting because he's not guaranteed to start".......do you still take him?

I'll take the 1 year rental if I know he'll do his job & help us win.

The thing about Walker being in the program for 4 years is not guaranteed. Nobody knows how long that kid would be here, who's to say he wouldn't transfer again if he came here & wasn't guaranteed to start or simply didn't feel like things were going his way?

And does anybody know how good he'll be? Just because he was ranked high in HS doesn't mean he'll be good in college. Both Donaldson & Herbert were a 4-stars too, how did work out with them?

All I'm saying is, everybody ****ing their pants over this kid aren't looking at the bigger picture, they just want him because he's from Miami & was high ranked, that's really it. If he were from anywhere else nobody would care.

At the end of day, Lashlee & Justice will make the best decision, if they take him then great, if not, that's great too. I'm not about to break out in hot flashes over this kid like everybody else though lol.

Also, assuming we have a season, if he really wants in, he can sit tight and enroll in the spring. We still get a usable lineman, with experience, which we need much more badly if we have a season this year.

It’s not like he wouldn’t have a good chance of redshirting anyway in the fall. Stay home, work out, get that home cooking and come play for the home team in spring practice, if you’re serious.

I know it’s farfetched to expect, but schools like Miami can't do grayshirts with their cost of tuition.

@TheOriginalCane would know about the roster implications, so he can correct this, but obviously we have one spot and that’s it, so I think in the spring he wouldn’t back-count and would be counted for next year.

Anyway, just some musings as to how we could possibly, but maybe not likely, have our cake and eat it too

I understand your desperation, but he's not as game ready as a Grad Transfer with multiple starts.

I get it, the only thing fans can see is Stars & high school ratings, but none of that shìt matters once you step foot on a college campus. Mekhi Becton, Josh Jones, Robert Hunt all got drafted within the first 3 rounds & none of them were 4-stars in HS.

This kid couldn't handle the environment he wanted to go to so bad, then quit immediately. Offensive Linemen need to be mentally tough more than anything, trust me you don't want no soft kids on your OL, doesn't matter if they're 5-stars or not, if they fold under adversity they're as good as finished.

Idc what happens, if the staff takes him fine, but if they don't I 100% understand & agree with it. But if he's quitting because he's not guaranteed to start that's a huge red flag whether yall wanna acknowledge it or not.
Solomon Kindley who went to Georgia was almost a 2 Star recruit and was a 3 year starter for GA and beat out every 4 and 5 star recruit trying to take his job for 3 years. He went in the early 4th round as well. Man Robert Hunt is a absolute mauler, it's crazy how he slipped under the cracks.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Miami is a fat pimple-faced 35 year old virgin nerd whining that hot women never go for nice guys after getting turned down for a date. Then a hot chick breaks up with her boyfriend and says she'd like to buy dinner and get a hotel room, but now the virgin nerd is telling his friends he has too much pride for anyone's sloppy seconds.

Miamis program has been an embarrassment for almost two decades. If a player we recruited went elsewhere, I cant really blame him.
I'm glad you got that off your chest. I look at it as just football...

I'm glad you got that off your chest. I look at it as just football...

Posters are saying that Miami shouldn't take an immensely talented kid because he spurned us and it "looks weak" to welcome him back. No, what looks weak is losing to 3 G5 teams in a season, including FIU with one of the worst OL lines ever at UM. After Miami wins a championship, it can afford to be choosy.

By hook or by crook, try to get both Walker and the Houston OL in as transfers. Stack all the talent possible. This is a brand new offensive system. It's a crapshoot to figure out which O lineman will excel in a new blocking scheme.

For those of you suggesting the kid quit, how is it any different from D'Eriq King bailing on his team 4 games into the season to preserve his eligibility . . . to play elsewhere?

It's a new era. These kids view the transfer availability as free agency of sorts. Kids are going to take advantage of it for various reasons. It's not necessarily because they quit, or they're primadonnas or lack heart or guts or whatever other label you want to throw at it.
King was in Houston for 4 years & even stayed there after a coaching change, he redshirted & transfer for his final year of eligibility.

That's 10,000% different than a kid who spurned his hometown team for Gaynesville, got up to UF then transferred after 2 months. It's not remotely close whatsoever to being the same thing.

King was a high rated kid coming out of HS who's is from Houston & could've signed with a big time P5 team but decided to put on for his hometown team, he left because after he had done all he could to help them win he realized the new coaching staff wasn't maximizing his potential.

Walker is a kid that could've signed with his hometown team but didn't, then went to UF & before he could even make it through Spring camp jumped off the ship.

Diaz literally recently took back a kid who quit on his own team and was in the transfer portal for quite some time ....

I get it, I understand the concern but you can’t do that and then draw the line here? JMO

different situations. Diaz could take or back Reed and it wouldn’t count against the yearly 25 limit. If Reed was transferring from podunk u, I wouldn’t take him because he would count against the 25 limit.

Same reason I was thinking he might take Hightower back. He wouldn’t count against the 25 limit and we have several open scholarships that we are seemingly giving out to walkons.

Reed and Hightower did quit but each situation is different and from all accounts were not the headaches JT4 was. Maybe Diaz Reed deserved a second chance while Hightower did not.

Anyways, we got 1 spot left against the 25 limit and Diaz would be a fool not to take Walker.

Advertisement
King was in Houston for 4 years & even stayed there after a coaching change, he redshirted & transfer for his final year of eligibility.

That's 10,000% different than a kid who spurned his hometown team for Gaynesville, got up to UF then transferred after 2 months. It's not remotely close whatsoever to being the same thing.

King was a high rated kid coming out of HS who's is from Houston & could've signed with a big time P5 team but decided to put on for his hometown team, he left because after he had done all he could to help them win he realized the new coaching staff wasn't maximizing his potential.

Walker is a kid that could've signed with his hometown team but didn't, then went to UF & before he could even make it through Spring camp jumped off the ship.
Nope. It's the same thing. If you question a local KKK groupie who decides to spurn us to dance for the rednecks while they shoot at his feet and then quits 2 months later, then, in today's "we gotta keep a hunnid and try to make everything fair for Little Johnny" we have to also question the guy who spent 4 years at his hometown G5 school when he could have gone anywhere else. It's gotta be the same because we gotta treat everything the same.

The coaches who recruited King left. The system that King put up numbers in was no longer there. And he was left with Dana Holgerson running the show and he quickly realized that wasn't it. Walker was recruited by Mullen and the OL coach. He committed to them in September. Early enrolled in January and is bailing after two months. Not clear how this is different?

How's this for an explanation- Butch Barry and Dan Enos are d1cks. Walker likes Justice and the possibilities of the new offense. Even if he talked ****, so what? If a recruit committed to UF and then talked glowingly about Miami's program, I'd say he was a c0ckgobbler. If a recruit committed to Miami and spoke lovingly about how well FSU treated him, 99.9% of posters would want him dumped in Biscayne Bay. Kids get caught up in the hype.

Advertisement

I bet you the Houston fans feel differently.

You're spinning a nice portrait of King because he's a proven commodity. If Walker were a freshman AA, we'd all be jumping on board.

At the end of the day, you have to amass talent. I really don't know if the kid is talented or not (I haven't watched a second of his film!), but if he is, go get him. F* it. I don't think we're in the position of declining talent.

Yes, if he waits until mid-year, we could take him.

OR...

Here is a Bobby Axelrod hardcore-number-cruncher/heartless-motherfvcker method:

Let a kid (say, Moise) enrolls at, say, Coastal Carolina...uses a 2020 Coastal Carolina IC..."transfers" to Miami in January 2021...applies for a waiver to be eligible for Fall 2021...counts as a 2021 IC at Miami...

Then:

1. Moise gets to make "academic progress" for 12 or 15 credits in Fall 2020
2. Moise gets to count as a 2021 IC at Miami
3. Moise gets his education paid for at all times
4. Moise does not have to wait 2 years to earn an AA degree

Just let it sink in.
Wouldn't he have to go to an FCS school? What if the NCAA played that 12 full months of eligibility card?

I bet you the Houston fans feel differently.

You're spinning a nice portrait of King because he's a proven commodity. If Walker were a freshman AA, we'd all be jumping on board.

At the end of the day, you have to amass talent. I really don't know if the kid is talented or not (I haven't watched a second of his film!), but if he is, go get him. F* it. I don't think we're in the position of declining talent.

The home team always feels different , just like Lingard. People here ripped him but didn’t know what had went on behind the scenes. Just like UF fans will rip Walker without knowing what’s going on behind the scenes. That’s just what fans do, because they’re fans. They don’t want to believe their beloved team could’ve been in the wrong about something. There always two sides to a transfer.

Most times it’s just simply a kid wants to play than actual legit reasons.

Advertisement
Back