Is this the game the Fisch goes spread all game?...

I don't know about running screens so much as getting the RB's out on wheel routes or up the seam on play-action, like they used to do with Davenport. ND has been great against the run, but they might be able to open up the running game by passing first.

Advertisement
Eh, I'm actually curious to see how good ND's run defense is when they actually have to worry about a passing game.

Aggressive play calling, get a few deep throws and some underneath stuff and then mix in the run. We cant just come out and run three times on first drive and kick it back to em. We need to get their DC outta rythm. If Fisch can keep him guessing Te'o will be just out there to hit guys, not breaking morris neck behind the LOS.

I'd love to get Duke loose on a wheel route to start the game off. Get a backer trying to cover him 30 yards down the sideline and start off 7-0.

Advertisement
Notre Dame has a very good front 7, very physical, however, Bobby Taylor aint walking through that door. If they have one liability, to me, it is their back four. If I had one criticism of Fisch it's that he gets cute and at times doesn't pound it enough inside. Honestly, if he just went all Dennis ERRickson this game, I wouldn't mind one bit

Nor would i. We have to tire them out best we can then let duke do the rest. Defensively nd might be one of the more physical teams we see this year.if we can hold and make them play catch up, we have a legit shot.

I don't know about running screens so much as getting the RB's out on wheel routes or up the seam on play-action, like they used to do with Davenport. ND has been great against the run, but they might be able to open up the running game by passing first.

Just saying, the screen is a staple in Fisch's plan. We will see it, especially against an aggressive front.

I'm more concerned about what ND is going to do on offense. I think Kelly is going to line up spread and run the ball mercilessly. This will keep our defense on the field and shorten the game and the number of possessions for our offense. This could also take us out of our rhythm offensively. Morris and the passing game will have to be sharp from the beginning.

I'm all about getting Duke and James all kinds of screens. We do alot of middle screens. I'd like to see some more regular RB screens ala McGahee in FSU. Or, if you're going to run a bubble screen, make it to Duke split out wide. I want to see Fisch get a little more creative in how he gets Duke the ball.

Advertisement
Hopefully we've been saving some special looks/plays for games such as this.

Have to get the ball out quick, should be no problem for Morris!

Wait a second though. You beat a spread team by creating pressure from your front, which is ND's strength, right?

Right but if the DLine gets pressure then the coverage cheats up and the QB gets killed.

I'm not saying that this will happen because I have faith in our line, just trying to get some clarification on why its a good idea if their front is their strength.

Because Jacory Harris ain't walking through that door. If they roll their weak DBs up on our WRs, Morris has the arm to get the ball deep in a hurry.

And there really is no other option. You can curl up into a conservative ball and play not to lose, Tressell-ball style, but that's not this team. We don't have the D. We'd get smoked.

We have to come out with both guns blazing. It's what we do. It's what Miami has always done when it's good.

I would love to see the Canes run more of a pistol offense this game and mix it up with 4 WR sets at times instead of a TE so we can exploit their secondary.

Have to get the ball out quick, should be no problem for Morris!

Wait a second though. You beat a spread team by creating pressure from your front, which is ND's strength, right?

Right but if the DLine gets pressure then the coverage cheats up and the QB gets killed.

I'm not saying that this will happen because I have faith in our line, just trying to get some clarification on why its a good idea if their front is their strength.

Because Jacory Harris ain't walking through that door. If they roll their weak DBs up on our WRs, Morris has the arm to get the ball deep in a hurry.

And there really is no other option. You can curl up into a conservative ball and play not to lose, Tressell-ball style, but that's not this team. We don't have the D. We'd get smoked.

We have to come out with both guns blazing. It's what we do. It's what Miami has always done when it's good.

Right, but this all comes back to him having time.

That's my point. If we are going on the assumption we will get beat up front, then I'm confused.

To be clear, guns blazing is the way I want to go because I have faith in our line and Morris to buy time.

Advertisement
Notre Dame has a very good front 7, very physical, however, Bobby Taylor aint walking through that door. If they have one liability, to me, it is their back four. If I had one criticism of Fisch it's that he gets cute and at times doesn't pound it enough inside. Honestly, if he just went all Dennis ERRickson this game, I wouldn't mind one bit

I have had the same critiques and agree this is one of those games where I'll take the short passing game and count it as our running game. We need to find a way to neutralize Teo a little, and the quick passing game could do that.

As has been pointed out, the biggest thing is the tempo.

Our line seems to struggle at times keeping up with the tempo of the offense and it leads to some ugly looking plays. However, when everything is in sync it looks almost impossible to stop.

Hopefully we just see it getting better and better (also goes back to the offensive line rotation discussion so the heat wont be a factor)

We can't count on him having all day to throw back there. That's probably not going to happen.

But you can throw slants and go routes off a three-step drop, can't you? I trust Morris to make the right reads pre-snap if they're rolled up tight.

What do they do, by the way, for coverage?

Advertisement
We can't count on him having all day to throw back there. That's probably not going to happen.

But you can throw slants and go routes off a three-step drop, can't you? I trust Morris to make the right reads pre-snap if they're rolled up tight.

Morris's ability to scramble and avoid pressure could also be huge, there will be pressure, he needs to be on with his reads and when nothing is there scramble for positive yards or live to play another down.

This was why I brought it up. I don't know much about ND, just what I hear. I also don't know from an X and O standpoint what we are going to try to do to attack from a spread. Its why I mentioned tempo being the key. If NDs experience can keep up we could be in for a long night but I think Morris is plenty capable.

**** I wish it was Saturday man.

I think they like to run a soft cover-2 to protect their young, inexperienced secondary. They'll probably give us the underneath stuff.

I look for another BC type game. No big plays in the passing game, but easy completions that will keep us ahead of the chains.

Ok I get the tempo thing and agree, but I'm curious... does this mean folks don't think we can take advantage of their secondary from a pro set? Or even 3 wide with no TE?

Just sayin I don't think they can cover us downfield regardless of how many receivers we put out there. And if we could get Hagens in the game to block, I'd feel a whole lot better about the run game and picking up pressure from the LBs.

Advertisement
Back