Is this the game the Fisch goes spread all game?...

k9cane

Senior
Notre Dame has a very good front 7, very physical, however, Bobby Taylor aint walking through that door. If they have one liability, to me, it is their back four. If I had one criticism of Fisch it's that he gets cute and at times doesn't pound it enough inside. Honestly, if he just went all Dennis ERRickson this game, I wouldn't mind one bit

Advertisement
I'd still like to see some power runs in the redzone.

I agree on opening it up though. This staff has a play not to lose mentality at times. I'd love to see them aggressive on both sides of the ball early. Send a message

I was actually about to start a thread similar to this.

I think you're right. It wouldn't be a bad idea at all to Put Morris in the shotgun and spread them out. Only to run occasionally. Hitting James/Duke with screens has proven to be quite effective this season.

The only downside is if it fails, it will fail miserably. Then everyone will complain about him "getting cute" and "being finesse".

I'm really interested to see how we choose to attack them.

Think we're going to see at least 2-3 trick plays as well.

I feel we are going to see alot of swing passes tgis game to keep there D running back and forth. It would be nice to tire them out early then toss sweep with duke.

Advertisement
Mike James will be a recieving RB a lot in this game

Also, not many runs up the gut....expect toss sweeps all game

Timing is key here. Sometimes we choose the worst times, which results in back breaking results.

In other words, if we're having a successful drive, don't mess it up by running a high risk play...

/unless it works

Timing is key here. Sometimes we choose the worst times, which results in back breaking results.

In other words, if we're having a successful drive, don't mess it up by running a high risk play...

/unless it works

Im reminded of Larry Coker's inability to call a trick play without a timeout to discuss it...and let the other team know the trick play is coming. :(

Wait a second though. You beat a spread team by creating pressure from your front, which is ND's strength, right?

Advertisement
Have to get the ball out quick, should be no problem for Morris!

Wait a second though. You beat a spread team by creating pressure from your front, which is ND's strength, right?

Right but if the DLine gets pressure then the coverage cheats up and the QB gets killed.

I'm not saying that this will happen because I have faith in our line, just trying to get some clarification on why its a good idea if their front is their strength.

Advertisement
The only way we have a real chance in this game is if we go up-tempo, no huddle for the majority of the game. That means Morris has to actually get in an early rhythm.

Well if you look at what ND's weakness has been this year, it has been against pass happy teams. That's why we know their DBs are fairly lackluster and they have shut down the running game of everybody they have played which is why we know their front 7 is outstanding. One of the biggest complaints about their defense this year is that their CBs are playing a soft zone and giving up the short passing game. This plays well into our strengths, as many of you have pointed out. Morris has been excellent at quick outs and bubble screens all year long. The breaking point will be whether or not we can buy him enough time for a double move deep pattern or if we can set up some draw plays. I really don't think a toss sweep is going to work against this defense. Their LB corps is outstanding and we will not be able to control the edges well enough. I'm thinking spread offense with quick passes, loosen them up, then occassionally let Duke and Mike run draws out of the shotgun to keep them honest. Our O-line has their work cut out for them this game but I wouldn't say it's out of the question for our offense to score against this vaunted defense.

I think the real key is what is Onofrio going to do to stop this running game. I could write a book about what he has done incorrectly this year scheme wise so I wonder if he will eventually take a different approach or simply look for another job. We will have to force them to throw, but that hasnt helped us this year either. It's a bleak situation, maybe we'll get a bunch of turnovers again (un-friggin likely)???

Advertisement
The only way we have a real chance in this game is if we go up-tempo, no huddle for the majority of the game. That means Morris has to actually get in an early rhythm.

Yup. Fortunately this seems to be our strength.

It sure would be nice to have a reliable TE threat but we will have to make due, hopefully with backs and DJ/Dorsett/Hurns underneath. I expect to see quite a few of the screens that Fisch likes but with a guy like Te'o out there we might have some trouble.

See that reverse pitch-back deep pass Utah threw last night? I don't think they completed it, but they got it off and the WR was wide open for a bit. I am interested.

Have we gone to the middle RB screen to often? Probably shouldn't see it much this week! It has worked but Fisch has called it about 15 times the last to weeks! I could see Te'o killing one of our RB's!

Advertisement
Back