Is this the D we will see with Manny calling the plays?

13 of the top 14 I listed were defensive players Manny brought in.
Dorito’s evals were better on D than Manny’s. Dorito didn’t know how to use him. The eval where Manny made a 110% elite judgement on a high school kid is Rousseau.... a 3 star. Better than any single evaluation, IMO, from any coach at Miami in lord knows how long though Zion Nelson will prove to be nice as well.

Everyone recruits the 5 star James Williams’ and Leonard Taylor’s. Those are huge recruiting wins. We need better evals at the next 2 levels down from that.

Advertisement
Hey Boarcane, isn't fake and pretender the same thing? If so, then are we contender this year? To me it would pretender, contender, tier 1= elite?

Agree on all fronts. Excluding the UNC massacre. My biggest complaint of manny thus far is not having his teams ready to play from the jump. If he figures that out I think he will have a lot of success. I’m not sold on his scheme to win at the top tier level, but the coastal absolutely. His teams sleep walk early, but I will give him credit that his teams have shown fight.
The game has changed immeasurably in the last decade. I’m not sure any scheme is capable of shutting down a good offense anymore. I think he’s shown the ability to execute his defensive vision, when he has the right pieces to do so. I think both of your concerns will be better served this coming season. A better secondary and balanced front seven will make a world of difference. I also think the offensive line will help the defense more than people can understand. I’m prepared to challenge Alabama and win the ACC. If we’re not playoff or New Year’s Day bowl bound team, I’ll be very disappointed. Regardless, we’ll have another class that’s better than the last. It’s happening

Dorito’s evals were better on D than Manny’s. Dorito didn’t know how to use him. The eval where Manny made a 110% elite judgement on a high school kid is Rousseau.... a 3 star. Better than any single evaluation, IMO, from any coach at Miami in lord knows how long though Zion Nelson will prove to be nice as well.

Everyone recruits the 5 star James Williams’ and Leonard Taylor’s. Those are huge recruiting wins. We need better evals at the next 2 levels down from that.
I agree roster fillers projects are more important then 4 and 5* because they make up most of your roster! That's where bama, osu, ug, clemson kill you there backups are 4 n 5* ours 2 and 3* reaches!!

Agree on all fronts. Excluding the UNC massacre. My biggest complaint of manny thus far is not having his teams ready to play from the jump. If he figures that out I think he will have a lot of success. I’m not sold on his scheme to win at the top tier level, but the coastal absolutely. His teams sleep walk early, but I will give him credit that his teams have shown fight.
And this is exactly where everything, once again, comes full circle on here. Our teams on paper, by rank, have been good enough to win the Coastal every year. @Rellyrell demonstrated that recently in a masterful post. So why are we not winning? One or both of the following are in play:
1. Bad evals,
2. Bad coRching,
3. Bad evals & bad coRching.

I think it’s a combination. Even with our evals, our classes are so much better in rank than the others in the CoRstal, that it can’t all be on the players, as that would mean the recruiting services only make mistakes on Miami Players. Coaches choose the players as well. And a lot of those choices are wrong, whether it’s that the players just aren’t that good or the wrong scheme/system, I don’t know.

Somebody has to take responsibility for it one way or the other. But some here try to walk a line where they advocate that the coaching is swell and the players are swell.

But our record says otherwise.

Advertisement
I agree roster fillers projects are more important then 4 and 5* because they make up most of your roster! That's where bama, osu, ug, clemson kill you there backups are 4 n 5* ours 2 and 3* reaches!!
I know and I agree with a lot of the things you’ve said but I don’t even compare us to those schools at this time because they’re multi-millionaires looking at where they want to eat tonight and we’re working stiffs trying to put food on the table. We need to do better at evaluating the level of kids we can recruit for where we are in the hierarchy and then develop/coach and then step up a level.

I know and I agree with a lot of the things you’ve said but I don’t even compare us to those schools at this time because they’re multi-millionaires looking at where they want to eat tonight and we’re working stiffs trying to put food on the table. We need to do better at evaluating the level of kids we can recruit for where we are in the hierarchy and then develop/coach and then step up a level.
Hopefully we've taken care of the coaching and eval problem with the new coaches we just hired. I kno were not multi millionaires yet! But i think we're working stiffs who are investing to get to multi millionaires status. Its like in ncaa 14' once u get to all 4 and 5* u can't go no where else, everyone is catching up.

Right...I was really excited about Him & Norton coming outta HS, wish they didn't leave early.
Norton I wasn't to big on he was a space guy....RJ was wrecking **** causing all types of problems. But the tandem was great they helped each other.

You can’t make this conclusion at this time because it’s too soon. 17-25 on your list haven’t even played a down.

Don’t look at class rank and player rank without performance on the field. That’s been a concern for a bunch of us. Rankings, 7 on 7 Superstars... That we got Pope & Wiggins and missed on Tutu and Elijah Moore is one example of us making the wrong choices.
I’ll say this..not many of manny’s signees have I looked at and questioned if they are Miami caliber kids out of HS and Portal..other then Kennedy’s and he was a MR kid...Golden had plenty of questionable takes

Advertisement
I’ll say this..not many of manny’s signees have I looked at and questioned if they are Miami caliber kids out of HS and Portal..other then Kennedy’s and he was a MR kid...Golden had plenty of questionable takes
I think Golden did better overall at this point based on contributions when I look at the LB’s, DL and CB’s but he may have had more flat out misses.

Were Jaquan and Redwine Golden recruits?

That defense was far more talented than this years team or last years team. Pretty funny Manny has had more success with Golden’s kids vs his own.

that defense in 16 was stacked with talent

Took Golden, Jethro and Dorito a very long time but they finally landed two legit DTs in 2015 (Norton/McIntosh). That 2015 class, considered the worst of Golden's bunch outside of 2011, had legit talent on defense. McIntosh, Norton (who SEC schools did not want at DT but at OG), Mike Jackson, Redwine, and Jaquan Johnson. Five NFL defenders right there. That is the best defensive class we had all last decade.

Last edited:
I agree if golden did that coupled with the offenses he had back then. Well hindsight is 20/20. Don't think he would still be here but things may be slightly different.
Golden has players just sitting back, waiting... modern defenses let their LBs clean up everything behind the front 4, they let them fly around and make plays.

Advertisement
Mannnnn that was probably the best I’ve felt about Miami in a loooonnng time. Freshmen were balling out. I thought we were destined to win the natty in 2017/2018.

so many what if’s:
If Kaaya stated
If Richards/young never got hurt
If we had competent special teams in 17 and 18.

Looking back on it, that 18 season was probably rock bottom for me as a Miami fan.
[/QUOTE
Newbie, when your a fan and you've witnessed greatness ova a long stretch 1980's- roughly 05-6ish, from 07- til now is rock bottom if u thought 17 or 18 were championship caliber...veteran fans new we was false flagging no way we should've lost to pitt if we were championship caliber....plus rosier was our qb good for us at the time but not ship' caliber.

Thank you for your service. #veteran

check that reading comprehensive. The conclusion of the 16 season made me think by 2018 that we could be a championship caliber team because of how the freshmen were playing, core being built, and it seemed like Richt was still on his game. Obviously, by the time the 2018 season came around everything had gone to **** and the team was no where near championship caliber.

Fun part is, analysis in the NFL says that Nose Tackle become more valuable, since they are pretty helpful when stopping the run and your defense can remain in lighter packages.

Wonder how this translates to college football.

Advertisement
Took Golden, Jethro and Dorito a very long time but they finally landed two legit DTs in 2015 (Norton/McIntosh). That 2015 class, considered the worst of Golden's bunch outside of 2011, had legit talent on defense. McIntosh, Norton (who SEC schools did not want at DT but at OG), Mike Jackson, Redwine, and Jaquan Johnson. Five NFL defenders right there. That is the best defensive class we had all last decade.

While Norton was a good DT here, He would've been drafted much higher at OG, IMHO. I was actually more impressed with his OG highlights in HS, kid used to smash people when He pulled.

I can’t argue those takes were said. But I still look back and say 16 is best team we’ve had here in long time. Everything started to click in second half of season and it was beautiful to watch. Something us fans haven’t seen in forever, a team that gets better as season goes on. That goes for any UM sport too
Mannnnn that was probably the best I’ve felt about Miami in a loooonnng time. Freshmen were balling out. I thought we were destined to win the natty in 2017/2018.

so many what if’s:
If Kaaya stated
If Richards/young never got hurt
If we had competent special teams in 17 and 18.

Looking back on it, that 18 season was probably rock bottom for me as a Miami fan.

If Kaaya stayed he would have found ways to blow more games

Guy single handily cost us FSU in 16

If you’re a good QB you can find a way to complete at least 1 2nd half comeback in your career, it’s been done plenty of times by lesser QBs. Not like he didn’t have multiple chances so many times

Advertisement
Back