Is this the D we will see with Manny calling the plays?

Advertisement
I can’t argue those takes were said. But I still look back and say 16 is best team we’ve had here in long time. Everything started to click in second half of season and it was beautiful to watch. Something us fans haven’t seen in forever, a team that gets better as season goes on. That goes for any UM sport too
If brad and Felicia came back we in the offs imo

Those players were better, they played better together and the DC was better than Baker for certain. We’ll see what happens when that DC wears the HC and DC hats this year. I’ve said that Dorito/Golden’s talent evals were better than Manny’s just like I think McEltooth’s evals were better than Dan Mullet’s.

If the defense improves it's because of the Jimmy's and Joe's. Diaz is still running essentially the same scheme as Baker.

Diaz has definitely upgraded from the recruiting standpoint. I think he understands what the underlying issue was. As long as things hold pat we should see improvements.

Don't agree, your only saying that because you kno what they did already! This year u can't say that because we haven't seen them yet!...this defense is talented so was last years, production was the problem! not talent.

We saw em' last year, and they weren't all that. We had/have huuuuuuuuuuge question marks at LB, & we have to replace Phillips & Roche. If we had the 16' & 17' defenses, no way do they allow UNC to run for almost 6 bills.

Advertisement
We saw em' last year, and they weren't all that. We had/have huuuuuuuuuuge question marks at LB, & we have to replace Phillips & Roche.
We saw nesta ford, gb3, ks, brooks, blades, ivey, carter, hall, bubba! 2 of those ten didn't start ks and brooks. 2 more were hurt f4 at least 2 or more games nesta, hall,..bubba first real extended playing time with us. Not disagreeing with u this time just saying let it play out. Im sure we were saying something similar last year as well!!

Them guys wasn’t perceived that way until Manny’s system. Don’t get it twisted. Corn was a question mark. Mike Jackson was dead weight according to cis. Red was a bad take based on his Fresh/soph years. Carter and jenks were jags..55 and 56 were true freshman..that system allowed those guys to play football

I don't recall the overall consensus on Elder being a question mark, quite the opposite TBH.

And Jenkins couldn't stay healthy more than anything, but when He was healthy He balled out.

Agree with the rest of your takes though.

If the defense improves it's because of the Jimmy's and Joe's. Diaz is still running essentially the same scheme as Baker.

Diaz has definitely upgraded from the recruiting standpoint. I think he understands what the underlying issue was. As long as things hold pat we should see improvements.
Play calling with running the same scheme matters..Bakers play calling was a problem

Play calling with running the same scheme matters..Bakers play calling was a problem

Yeah, I think so as well. But I am willing to bet that getting better players generally outweigh calling better plays.

Advertisement
So the question is who was the Alpha on that team and who's the Alpha on this team.

I would say it was Shaq and Jaquan then

and this year I would say it's Nesta or Harvey? Shoot I don't have a clue

Yeah, I think so as well. But I am willing to bet that getting better players generally outweigh calling better plays.
Put it like this..go look up that 2013/14 defense..just like 16-18..NFL players at each level..now look at Dnos play calling and schemes..and how those guys performed

We are clearly more talented than that years D this year.. We will look like Hurricanes defense this year and for the foreseeable future
Everyone needs to read this again and again. If the LB’ers are sound and faster, we’re almost very good. Not old school good and certainly not elite yet. However, we can win almost any game, if we can put up 30. That includes Alabama, Clemson and any other ACC team.

Advertisement
Put it like this..go look up that 2013/14 defense..just like 16-18..NFL players at each level..now look at Dnos play calling and schemes..and how those guys performed
That is more scheme related with D' No which is a bit different than choice of play call within scheme. Overall I'd still take a Diaz aggressive scheme over a D'No passive scheme.

I think you are correct that Baker's play calling hampered Diaz's scheme. But it is also correct to say the caliber of player on last year's squad differed than the teams you mention.

I don't necessarily agree about evaluations being better. because if that was the case why was they trying fattening everybody up instead of recruit what they need. Example chick when they switched to a 3-4? We didnt have personnel for a 3-4 but they did it anyway hence why our defense sucked in golden- dorito years.
They didn’t know how to use the players they had, especially on defense, but they brought in better players. Go look at who recruited which players since year 1 of Golden. Look at who was drafted. His players were better. Someone else recently raised that his were more boom or bust but there were more boom players from Alf than the others since.

Advertisement

Diaz vs Baker calling Manny’s defense. I’ll go with Manny given the same players.

They didn’t know how to use the players they had, especially on defense, but they brought in better players. Go look at who recruited which players since year 1 of Golden. Look at who was drafted. His players were better. Someone else recently raised that his were more boom or bust but there were more boom players from Alf than the others since.
Yeah u on point with that! But, a lot of factors in those days! Probation, culture was doo doo, recruiting and evaluations was horrible under shannon except 08! When we took 7wr and 8 lb's that was half the class on 2 position groups let alone shirrefs and rosier, and we switched from 4-3- 3-4 and to top it off we had no depth numbers wise or quality wise. We just really stopped complaining bout depth numbers wise last year but we still lacking quality depth in certain areas like cb, ol and lb and maybe kicker!

No HS in south Florida runs a 3/4..nobody. That’s the mistake Golden and them made. U not gunna find those type of recruits annually down here. 4tech DEs, etc etc are not produced down here
I think that's the problem we had with golden he from penn or the northeast! That type of ball or thinking don't work in sfl! But, were a victim of our own success what worked in 80, 90, and 2000's don't work now if we go small and fast against bama in the trenches its gonna be unc all over again!

Advertisement
Back