Is Rick trying to set something up...

The Franchise

The Best EVER
Premium
...with that read option? If not, he should scrap it. When the D knows Kaaya is never going to keep it they just crash down on the back.

Hopefully, we see something develop off that where Kaaya pulls it out and throws it to a streaking receiver or keeps it and surprises the **** out of the world and gets a key 1st down somewhere down the road to help us salt a game away.

Could Rick be lulling future opponents to sleep with that play, or is just a garbage play he should junk?

Advertisement
He's hiding something with that play, don't know what but there's something there and we'll probably see it vs. FSU

What is BK is really a 4.4 guy and he uses them wheels for a 60 yard dash in a road game on 3rd and 23?

The set up is for one play...

There were plenty of times yesterday that even with Kaaya's speed a keeper goes for 15-20 yards. I would not be surprised to see a keeper when we actually need it against FSU or UNC. Even if it turns into a PA, I think we'll see him keep it soon.

Advertisement
Great thread. Was thinking the same thing. That play is open for Kaaya to go for about 20 yds once- even with his Ben Roethlisberger type of non-existent speed. Would I be nervous as **** until he actually slides or gets out of bounds? Yep. But it definitely seems like that's there for the taking at an opportune time if that's what Rick's potential plan is.

It's a great play to keep Defenses off balance...

I don't see any scenarios where he'll pull the ball down & keep it, unless it's a short yardage situation maybe in the red zone.

But, I think mostly it's just to keep that Safety at bay & force the LB to decide what he wants to do, in that moment of hesitation, Joku/Coley will be running past them on their way for 6.

Last edited:
Coley got an easy td on the slant because of the option as posters stated above

Advertisement
Gotta think there's going to be a time either this week or in the next few games where we'll have a key "goal to go" situation inside the 5 and Kaaya is going to eventually fake the handoff and keep it.

It did set up Coley's pass play but I think the opportunity for Kaaya to keep it in a short yardage situation is also going to be useful.

Yeah kayaa has 4.3 speed. In reality he's not hiding **** although we haven't opened up the play book yet for good reason. Never show the enemy your best stuff if you don't need it. For fsu it is simple, stop cook and they are screwed.

...with that read option? If not, he should scrap it. When the D knows Kaaya is never going to keep it they just crash down on the back.

Hopefully, we see something develop off that where Kaaya pulls it out and throws it to a streaking receiver or keeps it and surprises the **** out of the world and gets a key 1st down somewhere down the road to help us salt a game away.

Could Rick be lulling future opponents to sleep with that play, or is just a garbage play he should junk?

Chise, IMO, if there's anything to be set up, yeah, it could be something where on a relatively short yardage situation Kaaya keeps it and gets his needed yardage and gets into a hook slide

OR..

What I was thinking was that Kaaya keeps it but not to run but to do a version of a bootleg/waggle to the right side and he has a reciever streaking deep( or a deep comeback) or a tight end that leaks out( kinda the way Herndon did yesterday on his huge gain). Plays like this can be relatively safe for a guy like Kaaya in a sense that if a reciever is covered the QB can just tuck it and run for a few or just chuck it out of bounds

I doubt kaaya ever runs it but while I was watching some other games yesterday I noticed josh rosen from Ucla doing the same thing as well

Advertisement

Chise, IMO, if there's anything to be set up, yeah, it could be something where on a relatively short yardage situation Kaaya keeps it and gets his needed yardage and gets into a hook slide

OR..

What I was thinking was that Kaaya keeps it but not to run but to do a version of a bootleg/waggle to the right side and he has a reciever streaking deep( or a deep comeback) or a tight end that leaks out( kinda the way Herndon did yesterday on his huge gain). Plays like this can be relatively safe for a guy like Kaaya in a sense that if a reciever is covered the QB can just tuck it and run for a few or just chuck it out of bounds

Would love to see us use more of that boot action and throw more on 1st down with it. Herndon and Njoku underneath and a speedy receiver over the top as options. We've barely scratched the surface of what those 2 TEs can do for us. I'd love to see less of the limited FB and more of those TEs.

Advertisement
Gotta think there's going to be a time either this week or in the next few games where we'll have a key "goal to go" situation inside the 5 and Kaaya is going to eventually fake the handoff and keep it.

It did set up Coley's pass play but I think the opportunity for Kaaya to keep it in a short yardage situation is also going to be useful.

Id bet my life Kayaa doesn't pull one inside the 5, or anywhere else, this year.

Id bet my life Kayaa doesn't pull one inside the 5, or anywhere else, this year.

Depends on the situation. I bet he does if it's important enough, and no one is near him.

I can't think of a less mobile QB than Kaaya.

There might not be one.

I guess the way you can look at him carrying out the read option fake is that it's really no different than a straight handoff out of the gun. However, even though everyone knows he's not going to keep it you might still benefit for the millisecond that the defense accounts for him.

Practicing for when Kosi get's here.

Advertisement
Back