Is Rick trying to set something up...

I remember seeing an outside run in the 2nd half where both guards pulled left and Kaaya handed it to TE RB and carried on the fake outside and there was nobody near him. The DE crashed so hard - I was thinking that would be easy 15+ yd run.

Advertisement
...with that read option? If not, he should scrap it. When the D knows Kaaya is never going to keep it they just crash down on the back.

Hopefully, we see something develop off that where Kaaya pulls it out and throws it to a streaking receiver or keeps it and surprises the **** out of the world and gets a key 1st down somewhere down the road to help us salt a game away.

Could Rick be lulling future opponents to sleep with that play, or is just a garbage play he should junk?

It's the RPO play and he's reading LBs, ala the Coley TD. He's not going to run it; but will throw it over the heads of LBs who react to the run and pinch in. The result is both the WR bubble and passes over the middle, which we'll see more of going forward.

Clemson used it last night a handful of times for the pass option over the middle and got a TD out of it as well.

banana-in-the-tailpipe-o.gif

Gotta think there's going to be a time either this week or in the next few games where we'll have a key "goal to go" situation inside the 5 and Kaaya is going to eventually fake the handoff and keep it.

It did set up Coley's pass play but I think the opportunity for Kaaya to keep it in a short yardage situation is also going to be useful.

Id bet my life Kayaa doesn't pull one inside the 5, or anywhere else, this year.

He's not going to do it often...but I think you'll see it at least one time this year in a short yardage situation. The DE's are are at the point now where they are completely ignoring him and crashing down on the runner. If he just does it once and puts it on film opposing DE's will have to at least pause.

Advertisement
not comparing kaaya to peyton manning, but peyton manning had a great play action mechanism, that allowed him to sneak into the end zone about once a year.

i think that play is being saved for a perfect scenario. dont know when, but i suspect it will happen at some point.

I made a similar comment about that play in another thread. No defense is biting on Kaaya faking that he is going to run out of the spread option. The next time he pulls the ball back and takes off will be the first time.

It might be that he can show read, or not show read. Showing read might trick someone once during the game. If it does, then it is beneficial.

Advertisement
Great thread. Was thinking the same thing. That play is open for Kaaya to go for about 20 yds once- even with his Ben Roethlisberger type of non-existent speed. Would I be nervous as **** until he actually slides or gets out of bounds? Yep. But it definitely seems like that's there for the taking at an opportune time if that's what Rick's potential plan is.

Kaaya isn't fit to lace Roethlisbeger's boots athletically.

...with that read option? If not, he should scrap it. When the D knows Kaaya is never going to keep it they just crash down on the back.

Hopefully, we see something develop off that where Kaaya pulls it out and throws it to a streaking receiver or keeps it and surprises the **** out of the world and gets a key 1st down somewhere down the road to help us salt a game away.

Could Rick be lulling future opponents to sleep with that play, or is just a garbage play he should junk?

It's the RPO play and he's reading LBs, ala the Coley TD. He's not going to run it; but will throw it over the heads of LBs who react to the run and pinch in. The result is both the WR bubble and passes over the middle, which we'll see more of going forward.

Clemson used it last night a handful of times for the pass option over the middle and got a TD out of it as well.

Lu, given Kaaya's slow feet and lack of experience with the RPO stuff, do you think it's legit RPO or just predetermined play action passing?

Lu, given Kaaya's slow feet and lack of experience with the RPO stuff, do you think it's legit RPO or just predetermined play action passing?

I don't think there's ever any threat of Kaaya keeping it other than maybe a bootleg. I think the option is hand it off to the RB or pass it.

I don't think there's ever any threat of Kaaya keeping it other than maybe a bootleg. I think the option is hand it off to the RB or pass it.

I understand that part, Perps. What I'm asking is just how real is the "option" part of the equation with Kaaya? It can take a long time to perfect the ball-handling and split-second decision making and footwork associated with a legit RPO attack. What might look like an RPO play might just be a straight play action pass out of the gun.

Advertisement
RPO is different than read option. RPO generally is a read to either give it to the back or throw it to the receiver. For example if we run a slant and the OLB fires a gap to stop the run Kaaya can pull it and throw the slant. Or like when we played App St - he was reading how they lined up against our slot. When they were way off her throw an easy pass to get 5+ yds.

Now if I had my choice I would run an offense that had a QB that can run, but that is based on a power run scheme. Even though I hate Urban Meyer his offense is great for college because it basically finds a weakness in the defense and exploits it. When you take away something, they counter with a play that gives them an advantage.

If by "legit RPO" you mean the type that ends up as a triple option, no I don't think that's our intent.
If by "legit RPO" you mean if there's an option to hand off to the RB or pull it out, I think that option is there.

The RPO theoretically protects the run play (to Walton or Yearby). If the right numbers are in the box and Kaaya's reading the defender trying to play his, say, "B" gap as well as the #2 WR, Kaaya doesn't have to be a threat to run to give us an advantage. He just has to make the correct read and, if he chooses to pull the ball and pass, throw an accurate ball.

It's not the triple option version, like say Louisville can do with Jackson and the bubble screen, but it's closer to what we see in the NFL. It does more than just protect the running play or open up a window from an overzealous defender. It is also a staple of tempo teams. So, it allows us to get into a better rhythm and get Kaaya going.

I think it's an important play for us.

It's not because of lack of experience. We ran it all last year too. Kaaya option is that he can pass it or hand it off to the running back. What kaaya could do is to instead of faking like he will run he could actually fake a pass attempt to sell that better

Last edited:
Advertisement
Great point/thread. Really hope he fakes it one time and hits Richards on a go route. IMO even if the defense doesn't think Kaaya will ever tuck and run, just him faking to a RB can hold the safeties for an extra spilt second to give Richards another step. obviously defenses will prepare and know Kaaya will never run, but i think human nature kicks in and these 20 year old safeties can't help but notice the fake and ultimately lose a split second.

I understand that part, Perps. What I'm asking is just how real is the "option" part of the equation with Kaaya? It can take a long time to perfect the ball-handling and split-second decision making and footwork associated with a legit RPO attack. What might look like an RPO play might just be a straight play action pass out of the gun.

JMO I think Richt is just using the old play action to freeze lbs and safetys making it look like the modern day RPO as Kaaya may be physically limited as to what Richt really wants ala a Charlie ward type. Just the way Brad tucks the ball in the RBs gut he is pretty good at that.And his fake pass to the flat then going down field is also pretty good. I don't know but good question.

i started a thread about this . . . i brought up that someone like perry has alot of potential in this offense because of these spread/zone read concepts/principles

Advertisement
Back