Is Orgeron the next Larry Coker?

We don't have real football people making the decsions is the problem. They don't know what they are supposed to be looking for in a HC. Richt was the only quality HC hire they made since Butch but the game passed him by and his heart was no longer in it. The Diaz hiring process was an absolute joke and whoever made the hire should of been fired. You seriously don't interview any other candidates and within two days you pay temple 4M to hire Manny who had Zero experience and was a Journeyman DC? I'm not saying Manny will fail but he was a mediocre candidate when we hired him, and to not interview anyone else was crazy when we had quality Proven HCs like Dino Barbers, Rex Ryan, Lane Kiffin, Butch Davis and Greg Schiano and Others interested
Yep and they ran off Alonzo Highsmith when he wanted to come here and help.

Advertisement
I wanted Mario, would have no issues with that hire. I hope Manny proves me wrong, but Miami has got to get out of the business of hiring coaches who have never run a program previously
Experience is good, but it’s also not a guarantee of success, just the same as not having head coach experience is a guarantee of failure. About the only background that is close to a sure fire result is plucking an assistant off the Saban tree winding up in failure.

I hope Diaz puts it all together, as it is the quickest and easiest path to success for the program. If he winds up not being the guy, the school needs to go back to being innovative and pick the right guy to get us there regardless of background.

I agree, that’s why Coach O got the crew on offense back together. They don’t have Brady but they got the game plan/film guy back from Baylor.
We about to see how much it was that all time QB / wr talent because none of those QBs impress me at all in that spring game

Advertisement
Idk if Zo was ever serious Tbh. He has a pretty good job with the Seahawks

If Miami had hired Highsmith as the head of football operations and given him hiring/firing authority, then no HC with a shred of self respect or ability would ever take the job. No HC is going to go a school where he is told he doesn't get to pick his own staff or an outside party can replace the staff at his own discretion. It's an absurd notion and people who really wanted this to happen have zero understanding of the coaching profession. If Highsmith was hired in advisory capacity without hiring authority, then the school is basically giving him a paycheck to do nothing. I would have supported the idea of replacing Blake James with Highsmith, but James wasn't going to fire himself.

Second, some fans are saying if Diaz doesn't win 10 next year he has to go. That's fair, but there is a larger question of why is 10 wins the standard of success? Because in 12 game regular season, winning 10 of 12 that means the HC won about 82% of the regular season games. Winning games is hard but an .820 win percentage in YEAR 2 shows good progress. In an abbreviated season that included Clemson on the regular slate, Miami won 8 of 10. Miami got especially unlucky with the Wake game getting canceled, non-mopes would agree that Miami would have handled a 4 win WF team, so Miami would have finished 9-2 for the abbreviated regular season, assuming the rest of the shortened season played out like it did. Can any of you math wizards do the math and say what the win percentage is for that? I'll give you a hint, it's just about the same as 10 of 12.

Last edited:
If Miami had hired Highsmith as the head of football operations and given him hiring/firing authority, then no HC with a shred of self respect or ability would ever take the job. No HC is going to go a school where he is told he doesn't get to pick his own staff or an outside party can replace the staff at his own discretion. It's an absurd notion and people who really wanted this to happen have zero understanding of the coaching profession. If Highsmith was hired in advisory capacity without hiring authority, then the school is basically giving him a paycheck to do nothing. I would have supported the idea of replacing Blake James with Highsmith, but James wasn't going to fire himself.

Second, some fans are saying if Diaz doesn't win 10 next year he has to go. That's fair, but there is a larger question of why is 10 wins the standard of success? Because in 12 game regular season, winning 10 of 12 that means the HC won about 80% of the regular season games. Winning games is hard but an .800 win percentage for a full season shows good progress. In an abbreviated season that included Clemson on the regular slate, Miami won 8 of 10. Miami got especially unlucky with the Wake game getting canceled, non-mopes would agree that Miami would have handled a 4 win WF team, so Miami would have finished 9-2 for the abbreviated regular season, assuming the rest of the shortened season played out like it did. Can any of you math wizards do the math and say what the win percentage is for that?
If Diaz goes 9-3 or better, I'll be fine. I don't mind being a 9-3/10-2 Program every year with the occasional 11 win season. **** of a lot better then the 6-8 wins in and out the last 15 years

2019 LSU had the 5th rated class
2020 4th
2021 3rd
Those facts alone dismiss the Larry Coker argument. LSU and the state of Louisiana will NEVER allow the negligence that happened at miami from 2003-2012 to happen. I just don’t think baker was a fit plus losing shaq and 56 was glaring as I said it would be. LSU really falling off..I just don’t see it even after bad 2020
Did Orgeron fail to recruit wide receivers and quarterbacks for one or more cycles?

That was Coker’s downfall...trying to run a pro style offense with personnel that due to recruiting was far more suited to run a triple option attack.

Advertisement
The biggest difference is that LSU would have a quicker trigger if they realize that made a mistake. They won't let the agony languish like the UM admin.

But that doesn't mean they'll automatically select the right coach.
LSU and it’s alumni base could fire a Willie Taggart every year, and still be willing each year to post money for the buyout and fund the new HC. That’s the difference between Miami and LSU.

And to your other point...Texas has had three coaching changes in ten years. It didn’t make them NC contenders, even with Alabama level money.

If Diaz goes 9-3 or better, I'll be fine. I don't mind being a 9-3/10-2 Program every year with the occasional 11 win season. **** of a lot better then the 6-8 wins in and out the last 15 years

To start, we just need back to back 10 win seasons. Not asking for an acc championship yet. If you win 10 (or equivalent such as with a shortened season) in consecutive seasons the whole narrative changes. Top recruits will know that Miami is knocking on the door, is consistent, and the team just needs a couple of key pieces as opposed to relying on the recruiters to sell a vision of a team that could might successful in the future it can get a critical mass of elite players.

LSU and it’s alumni base could fire a Willie Taggart every year, and still be willing each year to post money for the buyout and fund the new HC. That’s the difference between Miami and LSU. And to your other point...Texas has had three coaching changes in ten years. It didn’t make them NC contenders, even with Alabama level money.
We’re pretty much saying the same thing. Changing coaches without a sound search strategy is a fool’s errand.

Just look at Cribby’s post in this thread. After Richt left, there was money available, funding was not an issue. Blake James just got played ... again.

The hiring wasnt approved ,he did that on his own. Approved meaning important booster.

Multiple boosters were ****ed off , like I said one was in talks trying to get a coach here and paying his entire contract. He got word Blake made the hire and was hot. Manny played him. Manny forced his hand and Blake bit.
I have heard this from someone close to the program. Brooklyn said this a couple of years ago, as well. Blake better pray this Fall doesn’t bomb or he’s done. Baseball and Basketball have gone to **** under his watch.

Advertisement
Experience is good, but it’s also not a guarantee of success, just the same as not having head coach experience is a guarantee of failure. About the only background that is close to a sure fire result is plucking an assistant off the Saban tree winding up in failure.

I hope Diaz puts it all together, as it is the quickest and easiest path to success for the program. If he winds up not being the guy, the school needs to go back to being innovative and pick the right guy to get us there regardless of background.

You're absolutely right, but you know what's frustrating. Temple has produced some good coaches the past decade, and we got stuck with Al Golden, and the jury is out on Manny, lol. I laugh to keep from crying

Where have you gone Sam Jankovich?

Well you’ve got a team that basically is guaranteed to be in the playoffs every year, so of course you don’t mind 9 win seasons for Miami.

Also, 9 win seasons won’t negatively affect Alabama recruiting in South Florida. So I get why you’re good with it.

Me?

That’s not the standard.

I realize we’re not to that standard yet, so maybe a couple more years of nine or 10 win seasons. But that’s all I can stomach.

But then again, I’m a 100% Miami Hurricanes fan, not a part-time Miami Hurricanes fan with another side chick.

Advertisement
Is Orgeron the next Larry Coker? Hits the jackpot with one of the most talented teams ever, then can't recruit well enough to replace that talent? Plus WTF was he thinking hiring Blake Baker. I just don't see Blake Baker as someone to be afraid of on the recruiting trail or in the war room.

Larry Coker recruited EXTREMELY well. Couldn't develop worth a ****.

Two arguments going on here. He could absolutely be Coker, and if he is LSU won't let it get as bad as we did.

They went 5-5 last year and unranked. Coker's worst record here was 7-6 and was promptly told to hit the bricks and it happened 5 seasons after he won a National Championship.

I'm not making any real point about a comparison between O and Coker...but I wanted to point out that LSU was pretty ******* bad for most of last year and needed the most ridiculous gaytor nonsense to salvage the season.

Miami being unable to hire anyone worth a **** is what made Miami as bad as its gotten, it wasn't Coker. We've seen it get much worse.

The hiring wasnt approved ,he did that on his own. Approved meaning important booster.

Multiple boosters were ****ed off , like I said one was in talks trying to get a coach here and paying his entire contract. He got word Blake made the hire and was hot. Manny played him. Manny forced his hand and Blake bit.

The bolded is why I think NIL can be really good for us.

We might not have sec or Texas money, but there are some deep pockets bleeding orange and green.

We have always been a blue collar no frills program so when it comes to water slides and lockers, we might not spend top dollar. Slowly but surely though, the purse strings are loosening.

O ur boosters know how hard up the ncaa is to smu us, and I believe it has made them reluctant to play the bag game brazenly. The ncaa took 2 years and found almost nothing so either we are mostly clean or really good at discretion.

What do you think, Cribby? Am I wrong thinking NIL allows us to get our boosters in the game and allows us to create strong income packages that make us much more competitive than the big bag game that would get us executed?

Advertisement
Back