Is Orgeron the next Larry Coker?

grover

Senior
Premium
Is Orgeron the next Larry Coker? Hits the jackpot with one of the most talented teams ever, then can't recruit well enough to replace that talent? Plus WTF was he thinking hiring Blake Baker. I just don't see Blake Baker as someone to be afraid of on the recruiting trail or in the war room.

Advertisement
Is Orgeron the next Larry Coker? Hits the jackpot with one of the most talented teams ever, then can't recruit well enough to replace that talent? Plus WTF was he thinking hiring Blake Baker. I just don't see Blake Baker as someone to be afraid of on the recruiting trail or in the war room.
He is exactly Larry Coker.

2019 LSU had the 5th rated class
2020 4th
2021 3rd
Those facts alone dismiss the Larry Coker argument. LSU and the state of Louisiana will NEVER allow the negligence that happened at miami from 2003-2012 to happen. I just don’t think baker was a fit plus losing shaq and 56 was glaring as I said it would be. LSU really falling off..I just don’t see it even after bad 2020

2020 4th
2021 3rd
Those facts alone dismiss the Larry Coker argument. LSU and the state of Louisiana will NEVER allow the negligence that happened at miami from 2003-2012 to happen. I just don’t think baker was a fit plus losing shaq and 56 was glaring as I said it would be. LSU really falling off..I just don’t see it even after bad 2020
Talent largely hasn’t been the problem for the last 20 years. But that aside, go look at Coker’s class rankings from 2002-2004.

2002 5th
2003 4th
2004 3rd

Literally the same class rankings. Hiring the right coach is hard and Brady/Burrow aren’t walking back through that door. To your point, Louisiana kids will always go there and they have the bags to compensate but the O vs Coker analogy isn’t far off.

Talent largely hasn’t been the problem for the last 20 years. But that aside, go look at Coker’s class rankings from 2002-2004.

2002 5th
2003 4th
2004 3rd

Literally the same class rankings. Hiring the right coach is hard and Brady/Burrow aren’t walking back through that door. To your point, Louisiana kids will always go there and they have the bags to compensate but the O vs Coker analogy isn’t far off.
LSU is not falling off. The state won’t allow what happened at Miami to happen. It went far beyond just recruiting. Whil the rest of CFB transitioned into the modern era Miami thought it could get by making minimum changes and investments into the program. That’s not happening at LSU. Plus LSU kids are theirs if they want them. They about to sweep the top 10 instate recruits aside from Moss.

Advertisement
LSU is not falling off. The state won’t allow what happened at Miami to happen. It went far beyond just recruiting. Whil the rest of CFB transitioned into the modern era Miami thought it could get by making minimum changes and investments into the program. That’s not happening at LSU. Plus LSU kids are theirs if they want them. They about to sweep the top 10 instate recruits aside from Moss.
I agree but you still need the right coach. If it was that simple, Texas would have been cleaning up and wouldn’t be in a decade plus malaise.

Orgeron is different than Coker imo. He was the HC when they brought the big Championship pieces to the team (OC and QB). He was also the HC for 3 years before they finally won in year 4, so that was 100% his team. There were 6 seniors on the entire 2 deep (including the transfer QB who Org was the HC when they recruited him). So he built that team and the staff that made it work.

Yeah Miami fell off because of several things.

1.)The administration made bad hire after bad hire.

2.)The administration didn’t focus on football, and the changing structure of power NCAA programs. Nothing to improve facilities for years, no training table, limited support staff, low assistant salaries. Mediocre S&C department.

3.)Recruiting in South Florida got more and more filthy. There was probably always this going on, but see 1-3 above gave schools even more ability to swoop in and buy…err sign top talent from South Florida.

Can’t lose all this talent:

Dwayne Bowe
Patrick Peterson
Teddy Bridgewater
Lamar Jackson
Amari Cooper
Calvin Ridley
Dalvin Cook
Jerry Juedy
Devonta Freeman
Nick O’Leary
Patrick Surtain
Tyson Campbell
Sony Michel
Nick Bosa
Joey Bosa
Brian Burns
Hollywood Brown
Deandre Baker
Frank Ladson
And the list goes on and on…

Some were misses, some were not prosper evals, etc..

Advertisement
2020 4th
2021 3rd
They still a need a QB... corners are shaky to me after Stingley leaves or opts out.

The biggest difference is that LSU would have a quicker trigger if they realize that made a mistake. They won't let the agony languish like the UM admin.

But that doesn't mean they'll automatically select the right coach.

They still a need a QB... corners are shaky to me after Stingley leaves or opts out.
Bingo..that’s what makes a guy like Riley who folks here think is overrated elite. You need the ability to find that guy continuously in today’s game. Even ole Saint Nick realized that when Clemson and Watson single handidly beat Bama in 2015

The biggest difference is that LSU would have a quicker trigger if they realize that made a mistake. They won't let the agony languish like the UM admin.

But that doesn't mean they'll automatically select the right coach.
Miami was quick to scapegoat HC. Coker was here 4 1/2..Shannon 3 and a half..Golden 3 1/2..only Larry saw his first recruiting class leave…The changes LSU would make would go well beyond just swapping out a HC. Believe that. It’s seems Miami MIGHT be moving in that direction

Advertisement
Miami was quick to scapegoat HC. Coker was here 4 1/2..Shannon 3 and a half..Golden 3 1/2..only Larry saw his first recruiting class leave…The changes LSU would make would go well beyond just swapping out a HC. Believe that. It’s seems Miami MIGHT be moving in that direction

This is just factually wrong. Coker - 6 full seasons. Clearly one too many.
Shannon -1 game short of four full seasons. Canned after an embarrassing home loss to USF. Quit recruiting EARLY in the season.
Golden - 4 1/2 seasons, canned after humiliating 58-0 (?) home loss to powerhouse in the making Clemson.

*Not questioning whether the hires were good hires. But each had clearly proven themselves unable to turn or right the ship.

Advertisement

Correction:
Coker here for 6 yrs (2001 - 2006)
Shannon here for 4 yrs (2007 - 2010)
Golden here for 4 1/2 yrs (2011 - 2015.5)

For all three, there were people in the admin covering for them.
  • Coker - He won us a championship. He's 36-3 his first three years, 53-9 after (as the wheels were coming off).
  • Shannon - 28-22 in 4 years. He got us a No. 1 ranked recruiting class in 2008. He had the third best academic progress ranking. And most importantly, Only one player was arrested in his tenure (Robert Marve).
  • Golden - 32-25 (17-18 in ACC) in 5 seasons - Nevin Shapiro was not his fault, he gets a pass.

We’re on our sixth coach in 20 years. How much faster should we change?
That's more an issue about our selection process (where I have the real issue) rather than how quickly we make a change. However, in each instance, there were early indications that things were heading south yet the admin (sticking their heads in the sands) still offered extensions to Coker and Golden.

That's more an issue about our selection process (where I have the real issue) rather than how quickly we make a change. However, in each instance, there were early indications that things were heading south yet the admin (sticking their heads in the sands) still offered extensions to Coker and Golden.
I think the issue was wayyy bigger than who the HC was. 3 different coaches in 10 years and the results remained the same. I think it’s pretty clear the fingers were pointed in the wrong direction

Advertisement
Back