Is Orgeron the next Larry Coker?

I think the issue was wayyy bigger than who the HC was. 3 different coaches in 10 years and the results remained the same. I think it’s pretty clear the fingers were pointed in the wrong direction
That's why I said my real issue is our selection process.

Advertisement
That's why I said my real issue is our selection process.
And I’m saying it doesn’t matter who was on they list. Any HC who had experience of what a winning program LOOKED LIKE would’ve turned down the Miami job. For me it wasn’t just about about the HC who was selected. We weren’t invested in winning and making the changes needed. That goes beyond the HC imo

Advertisement
Coker progression:

Year 1 - BCS Champs

Year 2 - BCS Runner-up

Year 3 - BCS bowl win

Year 4 - Peach Bowl W

Year 5 - Peach Bowl disgraceful blowout
loss

Year 6 - Blue Carpet Bowl squeaker v
Nevada

*captain of the Titanic

And I’m saying it doesn’t matter who was on they list. Any HC who had experience of what a winning program LOOKED LIKE would’ve turned down the Miami job. For me it wasn’t just about about the HC who was selected. We weren’t invested in winning and making the changes needed. That goes beyond the HC imo
If you look back at our selection of Manny, a 3 hour search, on New Years Eve Day, it was a clear indication that the admin wasn't serious about winning. Just keep raking in ACC money and keep players out of the headlines. That's why many would have turned it down.

Yet Miami also has obvious advantages over most other programs, the primary being it's natural recruiting area. But it takes a ballzy coach to want to take that challenge. That's exactly the type of coach the admin appears to not want.

If you look back at our selection of Manny, a 3 hour search, on New Years Eve Day, it was a clear indication that the admin wasn't serious about winning. Just keep raking in ACC money and keep players out of the headlines. That's why many would have turned it down.

Yet Miami also has obvious advantages over most other programs, the primary being it's natural recruiting area. But it takes a ballzy coach to want to take that challenge. That's exactly the type of coach the admin appears to not want.
I think the richt Retirement caught everyone off guard. I’ll look back at what the coaching landscape was like at the time he stepped down. But if I remember correctly it was late in the recruiting szn. They had to put a coach in place. So they went with what they knew. In a vacuum hiring a coach after a 3 week search isn’t good but it wasn’t a normal or easy Situation. S/o to @Rellyrell @chipcane for the corrections on the tenures

Advertisement
I think the richt Retirement caught everyone off guard. I’ll look back at what the coaching landscape was like at the time he stepped down. But if I remember correctly it was late in the recruiting szn. They had to put a coach in place. So they went with what they knew. In a vacuum hiring a coach after a 3 week search isn’t good but it wasn’t a normal or easy Situation. S/o to @Rellyrell @chipcane for the corrections on the tenures
There was an old interview with Jeremy Foley, the old AD at UF, where he said at all times he had a list of five names in his desk to interview in case his coach left, had to be fired, died, whatever. You just never know in coaching and he always wanted to be ready. If BJ and Co weren’t prepared with a list to interview, that’s on them. They don’t get a pass for neglecting their jobs, especially for the single highest paid and highest profile employee at the school.

There was an old interview with Jeremy Foley, the old AD at UF, where he said at all times he had a list of five names in his desk to interview in case his coach left, had to be fired, died, whatever. You just never know in coaching and he always wanted to be ready. If BJ and Co weren’t prepared with a list to interview, that’s on them. They don’t get a pass for neglecting their jobs, especially for the single highest paid and highest profile employee at the school.
Even if you had a list, the names on that list probably weren’t available at the time MR stepped down. When I get off work ima go back and look at the timeline

Even if you had a list, the names on that list probably weren’t available at the time MR stepped down. When I get off work ima go back and look at the timeline
How would he know when he hired Diaz in 6 hours. Richt retired in the afternoon and Manny was hired in the evening on December 30. It is insane that anyone signed off on that with zero due diligence to see who else is out there and interested. Knowing Miami, they probably still paid Korn Ferry $100k for a coaching search.

How would he know when he hired Diaz in 6 hours. Richt retired in the afternoon and Manny was hired in the evening on December 30. It is insane that anyone signed off on that with zero due diligence to see who else is out there and interested. Knowing Miami, they probably still paid Korn Ferry $100k for a coaching search.
Exactly how long do u think a phone call to gauge interest actually takes? Even he had a list of 5 guys it doesn’t take a week to gauge interest/availability from a candidate. Maybe a name on that list was under contract etc

again, I’m pointing at that specific timeline. Most coaching searches are in full swing befor bowl szn. It was unforeseen set of circumstances.

clearly the jury is still out on manny. This 3rd year is pivotal. But the way he handled the 2020 szn, has the culture (seemingly) going in the right direction, brought in a OC to modernize the offense personally I can’t be mad at him at this point. He could go 10-1 reg szn and The Never Manny crew would ***** about the U on the collar, margins of victory or the 1 loss lol

Advertisement
To add to that, I remember an interview I read of our own Sam Jankovich who said in his travels to conferences as AD, he stumbled across a young Dennis Erickson who impressed him. He told himself, he was someone to keep an eye on. When JJ left for the Cowboys, he was the first one he called. I know Ericson left a bad taste in our mouths when he left but he was a good game day coach (except the 93 Sugar Bowl) and did get us 2 championships.

He also did the same getting Jim Morris when Ron Frazier retired. Morris did a superlative job until he got up there in age. It's not easy following someone like JJ or Ron Frazier.

The point being "you just never know in coaching".

That's the problem , nobody signed off on it. Blake took it upon himself to do which ****ed off a bunch of very important people. That is why I always say this is both of their asses if it fails. I don't often quote Ferman but he called this " job malpractice by Blake". We've had people that have no business making big decisions on football for too long. That's why Miami has been in this position so long.

There was people interested and boosters were willing to pay the entire contract with one. Regardless if this works or not it was an absolute cluster **** hiring process.

Last edited:
Advertisement
For all three, there were people in the admin covering for them.
  • Coker - He won us a championship. He's 36-3 his first three years, 53-9 after (as the wheels were coming off).
  • Shannon - 28-22 in 4 years. He got us a No. 1 ranked recruiting class in 2008. He had the third best academic progress ranking. And most importantly, Only one player was arrested in his tenure (Robert Marve).
  • Golden - 32-25 (17-18 in ACC) in 5 seasons - Nevin Shapiro was not his fault, he gets a pass.

NO.....Al Golden does NOT get a pass. Yes, the Shapiro issue was a lot, BUT he kept No D and that putrid defensive scheme. He also had FSU beat for 2 years, but took his foot off the gas.

His defenses and taking his foot off the gas had 0.0% to do with Nevin

NO.....Al Golden does NOT get a pass. Yes, the Shapiro issue was a lot, BUT he kept No D and that putrid defensive scheme. He also had FSU beat for 2 years, but took his foot off the gas.

His defenses and taking his foot off the gas had 0.0% to do with Nevin
Shapiro helped get an extension and have built in excuses. He should send him a portion of his extension

Foley made a good hire in Urban. Ron Zook, Muschamp, and McElwain were bad hires. Having names in your desk don't mean you're ready to make good hires.

Advertisement
Back