Is Orgeron the next Larry Coker?

Advertisement
NO.....Al Golden does NOT get a pass. Yes, the Shapiro issue was a lot, BUT he kept No D and that putrid defensive scheme. He also had FSU beat for 2 years, but took his foot off the gas.

His defenses and taking his foot off the gas had 0.0% to do with Nevin
I was referring to the excuses the admin used to cover for our unfortunate string of coaches.

That's the problem , nobody signed off on it. Blake took it upon himself to do which ****ed off a bunch of very important people. That is why I always say this is both of their asses if it fails. I don't often quote Ferman but he called this " job malpractice by Blake". We've had people that have no business making big decisions on football for too long. That's why Miami has been in this position so long.
I agree with the second part 100%. But that contract was 100% approved by the board. Maybe they didn’t want to override BJ in his choice as AD and told him he will be leaving too if it doesn’t work out. Typically, if a persons compensation is going to wind up on the 990, it needs board approval.

Foley made a good hire in Urban. Ron Zook, Muschamp, and McElwain were bad hires. Having names in your desk don't mean you're ready to make good hires.
There is no guaranteed success in life, but being prepared certainly is a good starting point. Hiring the right coach is hard. Preparedness and education help increase those odds.

Advertisement
Exactly how long do u think a phone call to gauge interest actually takes? Even he had a list of 5 guys it doesn’t take a week to gauge interest/availability from a candidate. Maybe a name on that list was under contract etc

again, I’m pointing at that specific timeline. Most coaching searches are in full swing befor bowl szn. It was unforeseen set of circumstances.

clearly the jury is still out on manny. This 3rd year is pivotal. But the way he handled the 2020 szn, has the culture (seemingly) going in the right direction, brought in a OC to modernize the offense personally I can’t be mad at him at this point. He could go 10-1 reg szn and The Never Manny crew would ***** about the U on the collar, margins of victory or the 1 loss lol
There were obviously questions about hiring Manny since he’d never been a HC, but people are ignoring or forgetting what he brought to the table:

- After 5 years of everyone begging for a better, more aggressive defense, Manny came in year 1 and turned it around.

- Manny was coming off a 2018 defense that was top 10 in the nation and our best defense since the mid-00s.

- Manny understood Canes football culture, a polar opposite of Golden.

- I always thought the key for Manny was getting the right OC, because he would keep the defense playing at a high level.

If he can get the D back to a 2016-18 level this year, I don’t see how we don’t finish in the top 10. If he pulls that off, the next big question will be Lashlees replacement.

There were obviously questions about hiring Manny since he’d never been a HC, but people are ignoring or forgetting what he brought to the table:

- After 5 years of everyone begging for a better, more aggressive defense, Manny came in year 1 and turned it around.

- Manny was coming off a 2018 defense that was top 10 in the nation and our best defense since the mid-00s.

- I always thought the key for Manny was getting the right OC, because he would keep the defense playing at a high level.

If he can get the D back to a 2016-18 level this year, I don’t see how we don’t finish in the top 10. If he pulls that off, the next big question will be Lashlees replacement.
I've read the plan is for Likens to take over since he has OC experience and will know the offense in detail. How credible that is, I have no clue but it's been mentioned around here more than once.

Exactly how long do u think a phone call to gauge interest actually takes? Even he had a list of 5 guys it doesn’t take a week to gauge interest/availability from a candidate. Maybe a name on that list was under contract etc

again, I’m pointing at that specific timeline. Most coaching searches are in full swing befor bowl szn. It was unforeseen set of circumstances.

clearly the jury is still out on manny. This 3rd year is pivotal. But the way he handled the 2020 szn, has the culture (seemingly) going in the right direction, brought in a OC to modernize the offense personally I can’t be mad at him at this point. He could go 10-1 reg szn and The Never Manny crew would ***** about the U on the collar, margins of victory or the 1 loss lol
The jury is still out but it certainly would be in everyone’s best interest if he continues to put it together and wins 10+ games this year. I think Blake James is stealing paychecks and is the Peter Principle personified, but the coaching search (or lack thereof) is old news and I hope Manny proves all of us doubters wrong. I’d much rather say I was wrong and celebrate an ACC title than have to endure another coaching search and turnover.

I'm curious what Mario would've done here I think he was who some of the boosters wanted. I like how physical he's making Oregon in the trenches on both sides and front 7 on d and that would have been amazing to see here. Still not sold on his game day coaching but I guess it doesn't matter now.

This is obviously the make or break year for Manny, 10+ or he has to go.

Advertisement
I agree with the second part 100%. But that contract was 100% approved by the board. Maybe they didn’t want to override BJ in his choice as AD and told him he will be leaving too if it doesn’t work out. Typically, if a persons compensation is going to wind up on the 990, it needs board approval.
The hiring wasnt approved ,he did that on his own. Approved meaning important booster.

Multiple boosters were ****ed off , like I said one was in talks trying to get a coach here and paying his entire contract. He got word Blake made the hire and was hot. Manny played him. Manny forced his hand and Blake bit.

Last edited:
I've read the plan is for Likens to take over since he has OC experience and will know the offense in detail. How credible that is, I have no clue but it's been mentioned around here more than once.
I dont love manny's defense BUT if we got holding calls when he was our DC, we would have set records for sacks lol
In todays game, I feel like no one has a lockdown defense. even bama gives up points.

the money was there.
I’m not the biggest Mario guy but business wise it made sense. His contract was paid and instead we're paying 4 million to bring back our dc. Bb got a get out of jail card and still handled the next hire like a ****.

But to manny’s defense he told Blake ” once I get on the plane i’m gone”. I mean it’s all water under the bridge now but it doesn’t make it any bigger of a cluster. Then highsmith was the cherry on top of the Blake is a twit sundae.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm curious what Mario would've done here I think he was who some of the boosters wanted. I like how physical he's making Oregon in the trenches on both sides and front 7 on d and that would have been amazing to see here. Still not sold on his game day coaching but I guess it doesn't matter now.

This is obviously the make or break year for Manny, 10+ or he has to go.

I wanted Mario, would have no issues with that hire. I hope Manny proves me wrong, but Miami has got to get out of the business of hiring coaches who have never run a program previously

Advertisement
For all three, there were people in the admin covering for them.
  • Coker - He won us a championship. He's 36-3 his first three years, 53-9 after (as the wheels were coming off).
  • Shannon - 28-22 in 4 years. He got us a No. 1 ranked recruiting class in 2008. He had the third best academic progress ranking. And most importantly, Only one player was arrested in his tenure (Robert Marve).
  • Golden - 32-25 (17-18 in ACC) in 5 seasons - Nevin Shapiro was not his fault, he gets a pass.
We don't have real football people making the decsions is the problem. They don't know what they are supposed to be looking for in a HC. Richt was the only quality HC hire they made since Butch but the game passed him by and his heart was no longer in it. The Diaz hiring process was an absolute joke and whoever made the hire should of been fired. You seriously don't interview any other candidates and within two days you pay temple 4M to hire Manny who had Zero experience and was a Journeyman DC? I'm not saying Manny will fail but he was a mediocre candidate when we hired him, and to not interview anyone else was crazy when we had quality Proven HCs like Dino Barbers, Rex Ryan, Lane Kiffin, Butch Davis and Greg Schiano and Others interested

If he can get the D back to a 2016-18 level this year, I don’t see how we don’t finish in the top 10. If he pulls that off, the next big question will be as shown by our recent Lashlees replacement.

I agree that Manny's defense initially took the ACC by storm. But the ACC adjusted and Manny didn't. They now are almost to a team well prepared for our scheme and how best to combat it. Still no change or adjustments.

The same thing happened Manny at Texas and Miss St. Strong initially but completely unable or unwilling to change and adjust after his staid tendencies are exposed and as an ever increasing amount of his opponents made adjustments to neutralize and take advantage of his outdated scheme and tendencies.

His aggressiveness initially is exciting. His inability to provide anything beyond that is now easily countered and neutralized.

Having the right OC certainly helps but it's becoming increasingly obvious that our main problems have recently been on defense.

When will we finally adjust?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back