Is Orgeron the next Larry Coker?

If Miami had hired Highsmith as the head of football operations and given him hiring/firing authority, then no HC with a shred of self respect or ability would ever take the job. No HC is going to go a school where he is told he doesn't get to pick his own staff or an outside party can replace the staff at his own discretion. It's an absurd notion and people who really wanted this to happen have zero understanding of the coaching profession. If Highsmith was hired in advisory capacity without hiring authority, then the school is basically giving him a paycheck to do nothing. I would have supported the idea of replacing Blake James with Highsmith, but James wasn't going to fire himself.

Second, some fans are saying if Diaz doesn't win 10 next year he has to go. That's fair, but there is a larger question of why is 10 wins the standard of success? Because in 12 game regular season, winning 10 of 12 that means the HC won about 82% of the regular season games. Winning games is hard but an .820 win percentage in YEAR 2 shows good progress. In an abbreviated season that included Clemson on the regular slate, Miami won 8 of 10. Miami got especially unlucky with the Wake game getting canceled, non-mopes would agree that Miami would have handled a 4 win WF team, so Miami would have finished 9-2 for the abbreviated regular season, assuming the rest of the shortened season played out like it did. Can any of you math wizards do the math and say what the win percentage is for that? I'll give you a hint, it's just about the same as 10 of 12.
Exactly. Because coaches don’t want executive types selecting their staffs for them. High school coaches hire their assistants but at UM, we can’t allow our coach to do the same? Besides the whole Highsmith story was make believe. UM fans were so desperate for some type of change, they needed something to believe in. And this being UM, it HAD to be a former player because it always HAS to be a former player with these dopes.

Second part, I’ll agree but we picked up Duke when the Wake game got canceled so we just traded one crappy opponent for another

Advertisement
The hiring wasnt approved ,he did that on his own. Approved meaning important booster.

Multiple boosters were ****ed off , like I said one was in talks trying to get a coach here and paying his entire contract. He got word Blake made the hire and was hot. Manny played him. Manny forced his hand and Blake bit.
Negligence on the Administration’s part, giving Blake hiring and spending authority without review.

Larry Coker recruited EXTREMELY well. Couldn't develop worth a ****.
Didn’t Coker go three years in a row without a QB, or only Kirby Freeman? Its been awhile, bu I recall a number from recruits decommitting close to signing day. No Plan B. This is the definition of bad recruiting.

He is exactly Larry Coker.
Yes and no... I mean he became HC midway through 2016 and didn't win the title till 2019 so he did have a few of his own recruiting classes beforehand... Plus getting Burrow from Ohio St in 2018....
Coker had a completely built team right from the get go... Every piece was already in place.. All he had to do was hold the wheel...
Now as far as where things have gone since each won the title then yea it's similar... But the beginnings weren't the same at all...

Yes and no... I mean he became HC midway through 2016 and didn't win the title till 2019 so he did have a few of his own recruiting classes beforehand... Plus getting Burrow from Ohio St in 2018....
Coker had a completely built team right from the get go... Every piece was already in place.. All he had to do was hold the wheel...
Now as far as where things have gone since each won the title then yea it's similar... But the beginnings weren't the same at all...

Funny thing is that Burrow would probably have gone to Nebraska if they'd wanted him (his dad's school) but they weren't interested. Frost felt like he already had his QB in Martinez.

We may kick ourselves over missing with Teddy B, but at least Golden tried to get him to sign.

Advertisement
Ogeron comparison to Coker,,,, LSU can assemble talent and develop talent, remember Dave Aranda was best DC in country and passing game coach( Brady) is fast tracking in NFL. ED is a great recruiter and need an excellent staff a lot like Dabo with his OC/DC guys Larry, Randy and Al were all on a sinking ship as revolving door at AD and way to many Donna S hires still working in AD dept.
and when everyone was investing in football we were setting on our hands doing zip, nada nothing in general.from losing OB to losing local talent you could write a book on how not to run a program or business based on past 15-20 years of consistent SR mgmt malfeasance .......

I agree that Manny's defense initially took the ACC by storm. But the ACC adjusted and Manny didn't. They now are almost to a team well prepared for our scheme and how best to combat it. Still no change or adjustments.

The same thing happened Manny at Texas and Miss St. Strong initially but completely unable or unwilling to change and adjust after his staid tendencies are exposed and as an ever increasing amount of his opponents made adjustments to neutralize and take advantage of his outdated scheme and tendencies.

His aggressiveness initially is exciting. His inability to provide anything beyond that is now easily countered and neutralized.

Having the right OC certainly helps but it's becoming increasingly obvious that our main problems have recently been on defense.

When will we finally adjust?
agree 100%, think Bama will do exactly what NC did last year power R power L then run counters as D ends will not set the edge
2 weeks prior to NC debacle Notre Dame was getting crushed by NC in run game.... a couple of tweaks at half time and ND stuffed run and won,,,,, Did CMD even watch the film????

Texas still has to compete with tech, tcu, and a&m…and ou too basically in recruiting
We’re not going to lump Texas Tech or TCU with Texas in recruiting. That would be like saying UCF and USF for the big three.

But your comment missed the point. You need the right coach to attract talent and win with it. Even LSU was losing Louisiana kids when they were middling under Miles.

Advertisement
Funny thing is that Burrow would probably have gone to Nebraska if they'd wanted him (his dad's school) but they weren't interested. Frost felt like he already had his QB in Martinez.

We may kick ourselves over missing with Teddy B
, but at least Golden tried to get him to sign.
We didn't miss on him. Shannon had a close relationship with him and he would have been signed. Once he was fired, Bridgewater had not interest. There was nothing Golden could have done to keep him.

I know people here love the SEC but looking at LSU schedule, is pretty weak.
Other than Bama and A&M the rest are very winnable games. He might be Coker but can easily win 9 games do to scheduling.

I know people here love the SEC but looking at LSU schedule, is pretty weak.
Other than Bama and A&M the rest are very winnable games. He might be Coker but can easily win 9 games do to scheduling.

I see at least three Ls: Bama, TAMU, and I think Kiffin pulls the upset at home. It won't be a terrible season, but they won't be playing in their conference championship.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back