Is Manny a Good DC??

Great post OP.

Great point by the poster recognizing that even the "elite" defenses with elite players give up points and yards at an alarming clip.

Manny needs to add some legit wrinkles, but this is better than Baker calling plays by a mile. Manny plays far less soft zone and is more aggressive.

Simpson will help DL be technically sound and T Rob will help the DBs, along with a certain transfer CB.

Manny can call plays and be the HC. Offensive coaches do it all the time, including Day, Riley, and Mullen. This is Diaz's chance to show he can take the next step and be great on D as a playcaller. His job depends on it.

Advertisement
in these discussions about how manny's defense performed in games vs opponents with "equal" talent it's funny that the notre dame game never comes up. that notre dame offense had two top 10 picks on the OL, multiple NFL players at WR and TE, and an NFL RB and we kicked their *** from the opening snap to the final whistle... btw it's prob the single best win we've had in like a decade at least.

And most importantly NO QUARTERBACK.

Yeah, Manny's defenses do fantastic when the opposing QB can't pass. The only thing that happened that night is that we exposed a GROSSLY overrated Notre Dame team that was ridiculously one dimensional on offense.

Advertisement
DIAZ is a decent defense coordinator. He's got too many things on his plate right now. Try to be a CEO, general manager, coach. I truly believe he wants miami TO be back like most of us all. Just as a DC, yes.

Manuela's D philosophy, at every single one of his stops, has been based on "havoc" behind LoS and points of engagement by his LBs.

He is, without a doubt, an upgrade over D'No, but anyone on this board as DC (YES EVERBODY) would fit that role.

This strategy isn't a bad one, but it does have a fatal flaw--reliance on offense.

For Manuela's concept to work consistently across a season and year after year, it must be paired with an offense that can score.

Let me explain.

Manuela's "havoc" works when opponents are feeling the real (or imagined) pressure of "we have to score now" that places them at greater risk for bad outcomes when facing the athletes and assignments found in Manuela's system. For an example, think of Indy's Ds that were actually built around supporting what Manning and O could do on the field. The "havoc" works great in tandem with the necessary O, but when that [the O] isn't in-place you get...

- Top 10 Loss in UT history (vs BYU)
- Top 10 Loss in Miami history (vs FIU)
- Top 10 Loss in Miami history (vs UNC part I*)
- Top 10 Loss in Miami history (vs LaTech)
- Top 10 Loss in Miami history (vs UNC part II)
- Consistent shootouts (NC St and Ok St)

See the pattern?

*at very least 4th-17 conversion top 10 worse play ever in Miami history

I’m curious. If Manny Diaz is an average defensive coordinator, are there really 65 better defensive coordinators in college football? That would literally make him dead middle average.

Advertisement
Manuela's D philosophy, at every single one of his stops, has been based on "havoc" behind LoS and points of engagement by his LBs.

He is, without a doubt, an upgrade over D'No, but anyone on this board as DC (YES EVERBODY) would fit that role.

This strategy isn't a bad one, but it does have a fatal flaw--reliance on offense.

For Manuela's concept to work consistently across a season and year after year, it must be paired with an offense that can score.

Let me explain.

Manuela's "havoc" works when opponents are feeling the real (or imagined) pressure of "we have to score now" that places them at greater risk for bad outcomes when facing the athletes and assignments found in Manuela's system. For an example, think of Indy's Ds that were actually built around supporting what Manning and O could do on the field. The "havoc" works great in tandem with the necessary O, but when that [the O] isn't in-place you get...

See the pattern?

Good point. A pressure heavy defense will always work better if the offense can build a lead. I mean any defense looks better playing with the lead but when your philosophy is heavily based on forcing errors, getting the opponent behind the 8 ball is imperative. It’s a **** shame that when we finally got an offense capable of scoring points, our defense decided not to get stops until the second half of most games.

Good point. A pressure heavy defense will always work better if the offense can build a lead. I mean any defense looks better playing with the lead but when your philosophy is heavily based on forcing errors, getting the opponent behind the 8 ball is imperative. It’s a **** shame that when we finally got an offense capable of scoring points, our defense decided not to get stops until the second half of most games.
With that said, the O let the Canes down in several games. While certainly an improvement, the amount of 3-out and 15-20ish stalled drives is not ACCCD winning football, let alone beyond.

With that said, the O let the Canes down in several games. While certainly an improvement, the amount of 3-out and 15-20ish stalled drives is not ACCCD winning football, let alone beyond.
The bowl game was a microcosm for the season. Both offense and defense come out cold and they fall behind early. Both units settle down but it’s too little too late. There’s a heroic effort to get back into the game but overcoming a three touchdown first quarter lead proves too much against an equally matched opponent

Let me explain.

See the pattern?

In all of those losses last season, the D wasn’t the problem. Manny held those teams to under 20, except when Miami gave UNC 30 interceptions in the 1st qtr. The D was

This season is when the D started to have issues.. this season is also when Baker went full D’no, playing a prevent as a base. Baker is a soft coordinator, snd soft coordinators get run over.

Advertisement
It’s crazy to look at the 2019 season and conclude that the D was the problem. They were holding teams to under 20 and still losing.

In all of those losses last season, the D wasn’t the problem. Manny held those teams to under 20, except when Miami gave UNC 30 interceptions in the 1st qtr. The D was

This season is when the D started to have issues.. this season is also when Baker went full D’no, playing a prevent as a base. Baker is a soft coordinator, snd soft coordinators get run over.
I agree, but also disagree.

Manuela's D scheme simply isn't structured (very difficult in today's rule sets anyways) to hold any opponent to under 17-21 points unless the Canes O can sustain drives.

That is a critical component to making Manuela's D go--pin ears back and force opponent into lower percentage attempts.

Whenever Manuela has been faced with a rolling opponent O and a failing Canes O, the result has been mostly catastrophic failure.

This year's UNC thrashing was entirely predictable given his track record since BYU mushroom stamped him with Provo sausage.

And given his likely path forward, it will happen again at some point. That isn't good/bad, but an organization has to realize the only way to mitigate a Manuela "disaster game" or "disaster stretch" is by propping his Ds up with a consistent O.

It tends towards the Capt Obvious take, but not all D schemes have this particular acute weakness as "havoc". In fact, if you want to beat Manuela's teams, the single most critical factor is just keeping your O on the field against the Canes D--it isn't when it will break, but how often--take advantage of those and get da dub. It is exactly the same methodology used by those teams against Manning's Colts to great effect--particularly in their playoff flameouts.

Advertisement

Let me explain.

See the pattern?

you’ve followed canes football for about two years if those are your top 10 worse losses.

you’ve followed canes football for about two years if those are your top 10 worse losses.
You are missing two zeros behind the "2".

Tomato, to-mah-toe.

We could add:

- LSU (Peach)
- UVA (OB)
- BYU (Provo)
- K St (HRS)
- Penn St (Fiesta)

etc... etc... etc...

My point is Manuela has been consistently tied to multiple program's "oh god oh god we suck" losses.

I’m curious. If Manny Diaz is an average defensive coordinator, are there really 65 better defensive coordinators in college football? That would literally make him dead middle average.
Paired with what type of O?

Complicated question.

I would say his scheme and play calling ability probably puts him overall top 30.

Is that good enough to be a ACCCD cotender year in and year out?

😬

Personally, I believe Broncy Bronc is an upgrade over Manuela as HC and/or DC.

With that said, Mildenhall's background would be a very high risk pock for our Canes--the clashing of culture could (I believe would) prove to be a very ill fit.

You are missing two zeros behind the "2".

Tomato, to-mah-toe.

We could add:

- LSU (Peach)
- UVA (OB)
- BYU (Provo)
- K St (HRS)
- Penn St (Fiesta)

etc... etc... etc...

My point is Manuela has been consistently tied to multiple program's "oh god oh god we suck" losses.

Dude please stop

Advertisement
Back