Is Manny a Good DC??

Advertisement
If we're speaking about Manny in terms of being a DC at Miami (only Miami), he was pretty good. You can see some patterns below.

2016 (4 Ls)

FSU: YA = 407 / PA = 20 [FSU finished the season ranked 8]
UNC: YA = 461 / PA = 20
VT: YA = 523 / PA = 37 [VT finished the season ranked 16]
ND: YA = 411 / PA = 30

2016 Averages

YA = 450.5
PA = 26.75

2017 (3 Ls)

Pitt: YA = 345 / PA = 24
Clemson: YA = 331 / PA = 38 [Clemson finished the season ranked 4]
Wisc: YA = 400 / PA = 34 [Wisc finished the season ranked 6]

2017 Averages

YA = 358.66
PA = 32

2018 (6 Ls)

LSU: YA = 296 / PA = 26 (We allowed 7 points on an Pick-6, this is not on the D) [LSU finished the season ranked 6]
UVA: YA = 235 / PA = 16
BC: YA = 433 / PA = 27
Duke: YA = 290 / PA 20
GT: YA = 303 / PA = 27
Wisc: YA = 406 / PA = 35

2018 Averages

YA: 327.16
PA: 25.16

Total Ls = 13
Total Ls to ranked opponents (finished the season ranked) = 5
Total Ls allowing more than 30 Points = 5
Total Ls to teams with a losing record = 2

Points Allowed = PA
Yards Allowed = YA

----------------------------------------------

But the problem now is that he is NOT just the DC, he is also the HC.

Advertisement
This point has been mentioned by several posters but it needs to be emphasized. In the games in which were smacked down by good opponents the whole team was unprepared and looked helpless. It's a mute point whether Manny is a good coordinator or not if he is not a good CEO.

Last edited:
Manny is a good defensive coordinator but there’s a reason why coaches who are even better, and are some of the best defensive minds in the sport don’t even call their own defenses on game day.

Truth

There are good HCs who were very good/great DCs and they don’t call their own defenses on game day.

Advertisement
I agree, but also disagree.

Manuela's D scheme simply isn't structured (very difficult in today's rule sets anyways) to hold any opponent to under 17-21 points unless the Canes O can sustain drives.

That is a critical component to making Manuela's D go--pin ears back and force opponent into lower percentage attempts.

Whenever Manuela has been faced with a rolling opponent O and a failing Canes O, the result has been mostly catastrophic failure.

This year's UNC thrashing was entirely predictable given his track record since BYU mushroom stamped him with Provo sausage.

And given his likely path forward, it will happen again at some point. That isn't good/bad, but an organization has to realize the only way to mitigate a Manuela "disaster game" or "disaster stretch" is by propping his Ds up with a consistent O.

It tends towards the Capt Obvious take, but not all D schemes have this particular acute weakness as "havoc". In fact, if you want to beat Manuela's teams, the single most critical factor is just keeping your O on the field against the Canes D--it isn't when it will break, but how often--take advantage of those and get da dub. It is exactly the same methodology used by those teams against Manning's Colts to great effect--particularly in their playoff flameouts.
I get your point.. it definitely makes sense that a defense will have more opportunity to create havoc if the O is forced to play catch-up. A QB who needs to look downfield is going to hold the ball longer, and therefore will be susceptible to the sack. I don’t know if that’s limited to this kind of D, tho. Any D playing with a big lead will pin their ears back.

I think the issues generally are more related to talent deficit and lack of discipline. Add a DC whose too timid to allow his players to actually pin their ears back, and you get a UNC debacle.

When your LBs run the 40 in over 5 seconds, they can’t overcome their lack of instincts. When your DC keeps corners 10 yards off the ball on 3 & 2, they’ll never get off the field. And when the entire unit seems bent on getting penalties at the worst possible times, you’re not gonna beat good teams.

Manny had issues vs more talented teams, but he did more than enough to get this team where we want it to be. Baker isn’t able to do that.

Im not convinced this move won’t work. I am ok w mannys play calling... he did a good enough job when he was DC. Hopefully the associate head coach will be able to manage enough for manny to be successful calling plays again.

Last edited:
Manny is a good defensive coordinator but there’s a reason why coaches who are even better, and are some of the best defensive minds in the sport don’t even call their own defenses on game day.
This is a great point. I think most people discount the amount of time a coach has to put in M-F to call plays well on Saturday. Even assuming MD was an above average DC (I think he was), he's never had to call plays for the defense while managing the entire team.

No. All you need is eyes to know he’s slightly above average against bad teams and way below average against good teams.

This point has been mentioned by several posters but it needs to be emphasized. In the games in which were smacked down by good opponents the whole team was unprepared and looked helpless. It's a mute point whether Manny is a good coordinator or not if he is not a good CEO.
An aggressive boxer can look great knocking out over-matched opponents.

That same boxer can get destroyed by a decent opponent that knows how to exploit his over-aggression.

On average, the knock-out ratio will look good.

But the boxer ain't ever gone win big without changing styles.

Advertisement
Without all the stats, which are fine... he has been hired by some reputable head coaches like Brown, Mullen, and Richt. That should at minimum indicate he’s well regarded as a DC among the professional coaching ranks.

Without all the stats, which are fine... he has been hired by some reputable head coaches like Brown, Mullen, and Richt. That should at minimum indicate he’s well regarded as a DC among the professional coaching ranks.
Do you also take note of him getting fired mid-season by Brown after an awful defensive performance? In case you think that was an aberration, note that Mack Brown is the guy who hung 800 yards on Manny just a few months ago.

Do you also take note of him getting fired mid-season by Brown after an awful defensive performance? In case you think that was an aberration, note that Mack Brown is the guy who hung 800 yards on Manny just a few months ago.
Didn't seem to deter Mullen and later Richt from hiring him.

Advertisement
Paired with what type of O?

Complicated question.

I would say his scheme and play calling ability probably puts him overall top 30.

Is that good enough to be a ACCCD cotender year in and year out?

😬

Personally, I believe Broncy Bronc is an upgrade over Manuela as HC and/or DC.

With that said, Mildenhall's background would be a very high risk pock for our Canes--the clashing of culture could (I believe would) prove to be a very ill fit.
This is just bad/weird takes on top of bad/weird takes from you... Bronco is awful as a HC and isn’t an upgrade over Manny

This is just bad/weird takes on top of bad/weird takes from you... Bronco is awful as a HC and isn’t an upgrade over Manny
And this is just, perhaps*, a bad/weird take from you on not being able to recognize leadership ability and ability to install the right organizational structures to support success.

Please take pity and regale of tales of all the bad/weird takes.

I'll make you famous.

*I'm was being polite--its really "most definitely"

Advertisement
Back