Is hiring Larry Fedora a Nick Saban move?

The issue is that every time a decent head coaching job comes up the media will float Larry Fedora's name. Hiring a guy like that means you only keep him for two years. If we land Fedora and he stays for 3 years then I think that would be a major win for us.

Agreed but then you do with Alabaga does and go grab the next Fedora.

Advertisement
Not wanting a guy because he’ll be SO GOOD that he gets opportunities to move on seems odd.

If he coaches at a level high enough to
get chances to leave, it means he killed it here and we had success. That’s what we should all want.

Sure Manny is giving very serious to every position he is hiring. His future as a head coach depends on these assistants as he probably only gets this one chance at Miami to be successful. No other young coach has risen like Manny has last three years. Struggling as a DC at La Tech after failing at Texas and Miss St., and 3 years later Head Coach of the Miami Hurricanes.

Sure Manny is giving very serious to every position he is hiring. His future as a head coach depends on these assistants as he probably only gets this one chance at Miami to be successful. No other young coach has risen like Manny has last three years. Struggling as a DC at La Tech after failing at Texas and Miss St., and 3 years later Head Coach of the Miami Hurricanes.

Diaz did good but not great at Mississippi State.

Texas was the only stop where he did badly.

Advertisement
he learned from being fired. he also wants to win.

Man, I'm just loving this Manny Diaz hire more and more. Seems like he'll do almost anything to win. If it's not all talk, he will be a breath of fresh air after the past 15 years. He's got a huge job in front of him and needs to figure out how to recruit like a monster but can anyone doubt him at this point?

Yes.

Assistants leaving for a promotional move is always a sign of a strong organization. It makes the job title title more valuable.

Yup. We're never going to match Baga in stockpiling big names as "analysts" but we certainly could match them in becoming a reputational "Rehab U" for good to great offensive minds that just flamed out as head coaches. It'd be vaguely similar to how Sabag offers his OC's a decent amount of autonomy while he (like Diaz) mainly focuses on the D.

Advertisement
Fedora has experienced the exhilarating highs and frustrating lows of head coaching at a P5 school. That UNC job took a lot out of him. Maybe at this juncture he just wants to sit back and enjoy living in sunny South Florida for a couple years without having to worry about overseeing an entire team and just focus on playing with talented new toys on offense.

Oh and the opportunity to put up 50+ on UNC every year would be nice added bonus, too.

I know Alabama is the standard, but we can't be making decisions based on what would Saban do. Manny has a vision for this team. It sounds good so far. Let's see how it plays out.

Sign him up. Build the foundation for a strong offense. Have a guy on staff you really like to be the successor.

Advertisement
The issue is that every time a decent head coaching job comes up the media will float Larry Fedora's name. Hiring a guy like that means you only keep him for two years. If we land Fedora and he stays for 3 years then I think that would be a major win for us.

I prefer a mediocre unit. That way nobody ever poaches our coordinators.

What previous HC has nick saban hired to become a coordinator or a position below HC?
Yes..He hired a coach that gave his Defense problems Fedora will have a huge advantage over an other new OC , hes has gameplanned against the coastal for 8years

Onto the next one after that, it’s always a good problem when your coordinators get hired to HC jobs.

Advertisement
Off the top of my head? Hugh Freeze, Lane Kiffin, Steve Sarkisian, etc. He has hired plenty of P5 coaches to "something less" at 'Bama. Now if we expand your definition of previous head coaches to include smaller non-P5 schools the answer would be more like "90% of his current staff."
And I'll add a Mario Cristobal to boot

Advertisement
Back