Is hiring Larry Fedora a Nick Saban move?

Advertisement
Not wanting a guy because he’ll be SO GOOD that he gets opportunities to move on seems odd. If he coaches at a level high enough to get chances to leave, it means he killed it here and we had success. That’s what we should all want.

It's exactly what we need right now. We need someone who can put the O into high gear and win to create some momentum/buzz first. When the on-field product improves, it makes the coaching positions here more desirable and the team more desirable to recruits. Then when assistants leave it'll be easier to get better replacements. I trust Manny a lot more to make good hires than I do Blake James to hire another head coach. I'm hoping we lucked into a guy who knows what he's doing in building a staff and team culture, kinda like Clemson did.

A Saban move would be having this guy on staff as an "offensive analyst"...

Hiring him at market rate for a second in command spot at a P5 school isn't a boss move.

Advertisement
The issue is that every time a decent head coaching job comes up the media will float Larry Fedora's name. Hiring a guy like that means you only keep him for two years. If we land Fedora and he stays for 3 years then I think that would be a major win for us.

Which is not a real issue at all.

Not wanting a guy because he’ll be SO GOOD that he gets opportunities to move on seems odd.

If he coaches at a level high enough to
get chances to leave, it means he killed it here and we had success. That’s what we should all want.

It is true CIS logic.

We have not had a top notch OC since Chud. Let that sink in. That is a long time and our offenses have sucked because of it. The only one close to good was the dude that went to JAX but even he did some strange stuff at times. We now have top tier coaches on both sides of the ball.

Advertisement
Advertisement
The issue is that every time a decent head coaching job comes up the media will float Larry Fedora's name. Hiring a guy like that means you only keep him for two years. If we land Fedora and he stays for 3 years then I think that would be a major win for us.
Those are good problems to have .

A saban move would be going after a guy who's culture killed a kid and bring him in as a "analyst".

Nothing wrong with that. Manny will find the next savage and may request one position coach (QB?) for Larry to groom before he eventually dips.

Advertisement
It’s always been that way at Miami. What hasn’t happened lately is landing a guy like Fedora. It’d be a major win for Diaz.

It would be a Saban move if it went down like this:

Fired HC: Mr., errrrr Coach Saban

Saban: Address me as My Dominant Master

Fired HC: Yes My Dominant Master

Saban: You may now speak

Fired HC: I'd like a position on your staff

Saban: The only position I will allow is as a castrated "Offense/Defense Special Analyst". You will have less priority than my Grad Asst, Renfield. Also, you will get my dry cleanimg and latte from Starbuck. If it is not the right temperature, I will have you beaten.

Fired HC: Thank you My Dominant Master.

Saban: One last thing. Since I already have 46 on staff coaches, 245 support staff, and a cat named Mr. Bear-Bear, I won't pay you. You will work 23 hrs a day free.

Fired HC: Yes. Yes. Yes! I'll take it. Anything! Yes.

Saban: Good. Dry cleaner closes in 30 mins. You better hurry.

Advertisement
Back