Is Diaz planning to run a 4-2-5 base with Grace a rover?

I feel like this defense is going to help Grace make some serious money at the next level.

Advertisement
Better hope to **** he stays healthy because if that's what we're asking our SAM to do he's the only one who can do it.

I think Pinkney could play the SAM... as a matter of fact I would have Pinkney at SAM and McCloud at Will... But then I would rather have McCloud blitzing off the edge ... his length will give him added advantage.

That's too much to ask from a freshmans.

Will be difficult at the Level of Play (D1) - but that's exactly how we play our SAM at the High School... Owens was our SAM and he Mastered it... But now with his size I would rather keep him in the Box... as a mater of fact if we could stretch him 1 more inch Owens would be the prototypical DE..

Interesting you mention that, because IMO, outside of Grace, Owens is the guy on our roster most tailor made to play SAM. As such, if Grace were to be out, I wonder if Owens would be moved to SAM. Seems the WILL and MIKE spots have more capable bodies ready to fill those roles.

Owens is such a rangy athlete.
Owens got pretty big after HS. I don't think he's athletic enough now to play anywhere near the level of Grace out in space. I'd have to see his stop start and ability to change direction very quickly before I'd trust him playing the role that Grace described.

Diaz's defense is very reminiscent of a 4 down linemen CFL style defense.
Typically, the Sam in 3 down football is the first one of the box, and is a LB/DB hybrid.
Since there are so many formations and motions in Canadian ball, the defense has to be able to recognize and react to all of them on the fly. Often times the play call that the DC gives out ends up being completely different from what actually get done on the field due to so many adjustments needed.

They are only doing that for grace. Mcloud is 2nd string at sam and doubt they will ask him to do the same.

Grace is 6'1 205 and is fast as ****. He will likely play ss in the nfl so this role is good for him to showcase what he can do in coverage.

Advertisement
If the idea is to have the 11 best guys on the field then may I present this:

DE AQM
DT Willis
DT Norton
DE Thomas

ROV Carter

MLB Owens
WLB Grace

CB Elder
CB Redwine
SS Jaq. Johnson
FS Jenkins

Right now... The Defense is smothering the O's running ability... I would rather have Grace at Rover and two bigger backers in the middle to continue the shut down of the run and force the O to throw... by forcing the O one way or the other you can T Off with stunts and blitzes... I feel more comfortable with Grace in coverage than with Carter in the Box... I really haven't watch Carter's play in the run game so I could be wrong... I know what Grace can do in either situation... and then there is pretty good depth left over to have two big backers in the middle at all times... plugging holes and shooting gaps.

If the idea is to have the 11 best guys on the field then may I present this:

DE AQM
DT Willis
DT Norton
DE Thomas

ROV Carter

MLB Owens
WLB Grace

CB Elder
CB Redwine
SS Jaq. Johnson
FS Jenkins

Wait why take Grace completely out of that Rover role when Carter can be a difference maker at Safety. And for once we have real talent and alright depth at LB. I think only use Carter as a Rover if Grace cant go in for whatever reason AND if Perry not refined yet, even though im pretty sure he could get the job done too just not as smooth as Grace would.

Advertisement
Diaz's defense is very reminiscent of a 4 down linemen CFL style defense.
Typically, the Sam in 3 down football is the first one of the box, and is a LB/DB hybrid.
Since there are so many formations and motions in Canadian ball, the defense has to be able to recognize and react to all of them on the fly. Often times the play call that the DC gives out ends up being completely different from what actually get done on the field due to so many adjustments needed.

Agree... again at our High School... we call a Play and a Check.... basically the Play is where we think the ball is going and the Check is a reaction to an unexpected change a the LOS... The Play could have SAM in the Box on a Blitz... the Check could negate the blitz and have him playing a man or zone coverage outside the box.

Right now... The Defense is smothering the O's running ability... I would rather have Grace at Rover and two bigger backers in the middle to continue the shut down of the run and force the O to throw... by forcing the O one way or the other you can T Off with stunts and blitzes... I feel more comfortable with Grace in coverage than with Carter in the Box... I really haven't watch Carter's play in the run game so I could be wrong... I know what Grace can do in either situation... and then there is pretty good depth left over to have two big backers in the middle at all times... plugging holes and shooting gaps.
So the offensive line can't stop the defense from getting upfield right now?

Advertisement
Back