Is Diaz planning to run a 4-2-5 base with Grace a rover?

Should also be a pretty easy position to recruit with the type of LB South Florida tends to produce...

Advertisement
In certain situations, could the "rover" role also be played by a Safety in this scheme? Maybe Carter or, going forward a couple years, Cedric Wright?

Most def... as a matter of fact Auburn uses a Safety for their star. Therezie Robenson kid from Miami was Auburn's Star for 3 years. He now plays Free Safety for the Falcons and had 33 tackles last season... A safety that you can trust in the box makes a perfect SAM especially when you know your opponent is going to throw the ball 50 times. At our High School one of our SAMs was a LB and the Other was a safety.

Good point. Auburn ran a true 4-2-5 defense though and it sounds like oakleaf runs a hybrid 4-3/4-2-5 based on what type offense they are playing.

I would rather use the hybrid. The traditional 4-2-5 can have problems vs the run especially if you have a smaller guy at the rover.

Undersized linebackers who play well in space and are versatile in coverage grow on trees in Florida. It's a good move incorporating 4-2-5 concepts. There's so much spread and no huddle these days. If you can go from a base 4-3 into a 4-2-5 and back again without having to sub, it really makes the D co's job easier.

In certain situations, could the "rover" role also be played by a Safety in this scheme? Maybe Carter or, going forward a couple years, Cedric Wright?

Most def... as a matter of fact Auburn uses a Safety for their star. Therezie Robenson kid from Miami was Auburn's Star for 3 years. He now plays Free Safety for the Falcons and had 33 tackles last season... A safety that you can trust in the box makes a perfect SAM especially when you know your opponent is going to throw the ball 50 times. At our High School one of our SAMs was a LB and the Other was a safety.

Good point. Auburn ran a true 4-2-5 defense though and it sounds like oakleaf runs a hybrid 4-3/4-2-5 based on what type offense they are playing.

I would rather use the hybrid. The traditional 4-2-5 can have problems vs the run especially if you have a smaller guy at the rover.

And me I would like the guy that plays better in the box... I would want to shut down the run and force you to pass... That way I can run every blitz that has ever been thought of...

Grace is not a SS at the next level. He'll be a nickle linebacker at the next level. Think Deone Bucannon. He's tough enough against the run in a spread, but is athletic enough in coverage. It is ignorant to say a guy who's played linebacker his whole career, is going to play Strong Safety at next level.

Advertisement
Anyone else think Carter would be awesome in this position? Might be a stretch, but I can see it

Grace is not a SS at the next level. He'll be a nickle linebacker at the next level. Think Deone Bucannon. He's tough enough against the run in a spread, but is athletic enough in coverage. It is ignorant to say a guy who's played linebacker his whole career, is going to play Strong Safety at next level.

Everybody doesnt run arizona's defense and so grace will likely play ss. Grace is also a little lighter and much faster than bucannon.

It doesnt matter what he has played his whole life. Mark barron was a all american safety at high school and college and was a top 10 pick. He was moved to lb last year and was good and just got a big contract.

Did I say that everybody runs Arizona's defense? No, I said Grace is a Nickle Linebacker. Defenses in the NFL are in the Nickle more than the base 4-3 or 3-4. And it is easier for a player to go from SS to a Will backer like Barron. It is much more difficult for a player to go from playing linebacker to Safety. Have you heard of a player going from linebacker to SS and be successful? I can't from the top of my head.

Advertisement

Kam Chancellor played that position for VA Tech... they called it Rover... Auburn calls it a Star.... UM is calling him SAM... Same thing different name...

Did I say that everybody runs Arizona's defense? No, I said Grace is a Nickle Linebacker. Defenses in the NFL are in the Nickle more than the base 4-3 or 3-4. And it is easier for a player to go from SS to a Will backer like Barron. It is much more difficult for a player to go from playing linebacker to Safety. Have you heard of a player going from linebacker to SS and be successful? I can't from the top of my head.

Carnell Lake. As mentioned by another poster earlier in this thread. Granted game has changed, but he was a better pro as a safety than he was LB in college.

Go Canes!

It's nice to be running a scheme where the players are saying they love what they're doing.

Go Canes!

Based on how Grace described it, Carter could probably also play that position.

Advertisement

Im still ****ed we didnt Therezie. We had him in the bag and they slow played him smh.

In the league... when teams go to a nickel... they usually pull a D-Line man... leaving them in a 3-3-5... they keep 3 box backers on the field... When other times they pull a backer leaving them in a 4-2-5... the big difference if the Nickel coming in on the 4-2-5 could come down into the box on the next play then like some one said early... you have the bonus of being able to change your defense with out changing personnel... Point is major dif is personnel.

How many Lbs have you seen in the nfl that's 6'1 205? I guaranteed you teams are going to work grace out at safety.

Myles jack lb from ucla said the chargers like him at ss. Shaq thompson last year teams liked him at ss but he added some weight and said he wanted to play lb.

Advertisement
I ask also because at UGA when I was there they had a kid - Greg Blue - who played rover in a similar fashion. Headhunter really. He could cover, but he was a true "thumper"...

Thomas Davis played that role when he was at Georgia too.

Better hope to **** he stays healthy because if that's what we're asking our SAM to do he's the only one who can do it.

I think Pinkney could play the SAM... as a matter of fact I would have Pinkney at SAM and McCloud at Will... But then I would rather have McCloud blitzing off the edge ... his length will give him added advantage.

That's too much to ask from a freshmans.

Will be difficult at the Level of Play (D1) - but that's exactly how we play our SAM at the High School... Owens was our SAM and he Mastered it... But now with his size I would rather keep him in the Box... as a mater of fact if we could stretch him 1 more inch Owens would be the prototypical DE..

Interesting you mention that, because IMO, outside of Grace, Owens is the guy on our roster most tailor made to play SAM. As such, if Grace were to be out, I wonder if Owens would be moved to SAM. Seems the WILL and MIKE spots have more capable bodies ready to fill those roles.

Owens is such a rangy athlete.

That was my thought exactly. I trust him to do this, but not another LB on our roster would have a prayer in covering a quality WR.
Better hope to **** he stays healthy because if that's what we're asking our SAM to do he's the only one who can do it.

I think the difference you will see with this staff is the ability to adjust. They are not going trot out a linebacker that cannot cover. They will adjust the defense to add a nickel back etc.

This isnt square peg/round hole idiots taking control here.

Advertisement
Back