Is Diaz planning to run a 4-2-5 base with Grace a rover?

brcane1

Sophomore
Jermaine Grace loves his new role in Hurricanes’ new defense | Canes Watch

As he reshapes Miami’s defense from a 3-4 base to a 4-3, the coordinator is using Grace at strong-side (Sam) linebacker. It’s similar to his role as a weak-side (Will) linebacker in Al Golden and Mark D’Onofrio‘s defense, but the Sam spot means something new this year.

We’ll let Grace explain:

“I’m covering a lot and blitzing off the edge,” he said. “I love it. I’m going to be covering, like a safety/linebacker type of rover guy. That’s what I see myself as. I’m able to cover and come off the edge and still play linebacker at the same time.”

Grace, who said he is 6-foot-1 and 212 pounds, is the only senior-to-be in UM’s linebacker unit and is working ahead of sophomore Charles Perry (6-1, 225). UM’s leading tackler (79, six for loss) picked up a scoop-and-score touchdown in last Saturday’s closed scrimmage.

Last year, Grace played in space in UM’s zone-heavy 3-4 scheme. This year, he said, he’s matched up on wide receivers. “Now I’m really covering Stacy [Coley], I’m really covering these guys man-on-man, no help, by myself. Last year I had help here and there. I really love what I’m doing. It’s helping me become a better player, because I can cover great players now and be able to do it when I get to the next level.”

As for the Will (freshman Michael Pinckney and junior Juwon Young) and middle, or Mike (freshman Shaq Quarterman and redshirt freshman Jamie Gordinier) linebackers, Grace said they’re similar.

“Will and Mike are the same thing,” he said. “They’re always in the box. They’re really both Mikes, but they call him Will because he’s on the weak side. Both are in the box, both control what goes on in the box. I’m really outside the box most of the time.”

Redshirt sophomore Darrion Owens, a 6-3, 236-pound Sam last year, won’t play that spot once he returns from offseason knee surgery. If healthy, he projects as a starter somewhere. “He’s either going to play Mike or Will. Not really sure what he’s going to play,” Grace said. “I’m very excited for him to come back. He’s a great player.”

Advertisement
Simple! Putting guys where they can best help the team and use their abilities. Keeping it simple and being aggressive! The ACC ain't gonna believe these the same Canes!

Better hope to **** he stays healthy because if that's what we're asking our SAM to do he's the only one who can do it.

Advertisement
The Offensive alignment dictates the alignment of the defense. If the O lines up in a 3 x 1 set then Sam is could be forced into coverage on the 2 or 3 receiver. I think the major difference in a 4-2 Star and a 4-3 is personnel capabilities. The Star is a guy you feel comfortable enough in coverage or in the box...

Better hope to **** he stays healthy because if that's what we're asking our SAM to do he's the only one who can do it.

I think Pinkney could play the SAM... as a matter of fact I would have Pinkney at SAM and McCloud at Will... But then I would rather have McCloud blitzing off the edge ... his length will give him added advantage.

The Offensive alignment dictates the alignment of the defense. If the O lines up in a 3 x 1 set then Sam is could be forced into coverage on the 2 or 3 receiver. I think the major difference in a 4-2 Star and a 4-3 is personnel capabilities. The Star is a guy you feel comfortable enough in coverage or in the box...

If not the best athlete on the field, then the SAM is the most versatile. Grace is perfect for the position.

I think Pinkney could play the SAM... as a matter of fact I would have Pinkney at SAM and McCloud at Will... But then I would rather have McCloud blitzing off the edge ... his length will give him added advantage.

I'm really liking what I've read/seen on the trio of linebackers. Shaq seems to be doing exactly what we expected and Pinkney seems very versatile. Looking forward to McCloud being back to full health. The future looks bright at LB with the new guys, coaches included

Advertisement
Grace is a SS in the NFL. Similar to Carnell Lake, who played LB at UCLA and the Steelers moved him to safety.

Last edited:

That's too much to ask from a freshmans.

That was my thought exactly. I trust him to do this, but not another LB on our roster would have a prayer in covering a quality WR.

They are only doing that for grace. Mcloud is 2nd string at sam and doubt they will ask him to do the same.

Grace is 6'1 205 and is fast as ****. He will likely play ss in the nfl so this role is good for him to showcase what he can do in coverage.

Advertisement

I disagree and agree. Pickney could play the traditional sam but he cant do what they are asking grace to do. He doesnt have anywhere near the speed and agility of grace.

That's too much to ask from a freshmans.

Will be difficult at the Level of Play (D1) - but that's exactly how we play our SAM at the High School... Owens was our SAM and he Mastered it... But now with his size I would rather keep him in the Box... as a mater of fact if we could stretch him 1 more inch Owens would be the prototypical DE..

In certain situations, could the "rover" role also be played by a Safety in this scheme? Maybe Carter or, going forward a couple years, Cedric Wright?

Advertisement
In certain situations, could the "rover" role also be played by a Safety in this scheme? Maybe Carter or, going forward a couple years, Cedric Wright?

I would say carter or finley. But i think after this season you will see more of the traditional 4-3 under diaz likes to run.

Most def... as a matter of fact Auburn uses a Safety for their star. Therezie Robenson kid from Miami was Auburn's Star for 3 years. He now plays Free Safety for the Falcons and had 33 tackles last season... A safety that you can trust in the box makes a perfect SAM especially when you know your opponent is going to throw the ball 50 times. At our High School one of our SAMs was a LB and the Other was a safety.

I ask also because at UGA when I was there they had a kid - Greg Blue - who played rover in a similar fashion. Headhunter really. He could cover, but he was a true "thumper"...

Advertisement
Back