Is D’Eriq King really stepping up his competition?

Maybe. But also maybe a change in coaching is what they needed. I can’t say I know enough about them to say they have a crap roster or not.
I know a lot about them, and they're trash. They recruit at a low level, and their talent has decreased fairly steadily over the last several years since Urb went to OTU and Hypebaugh went to Michigan. Even Franklin has muscled in on some of their recruiting turf.

Dantonio was, by far, the best HC they've ever had. He was even more successful there than Sabag. I don't anticipate replacing him will be a big boon to their program.

Advertisement
We’re top 5 in total players drafted over the previous five years, so there’s your answer.

Not as talented as Alabama and Ohio State. Much more talented than the ACC Coastal.

Just further proof imo that it's more about coaching than players.

This schedule is trash, King and Lashlee as a tandem are a steep upgrade over what we've had (knock on wood)

If Manny can't produce a good season with this schedule, UM should be in the market for a new coach.
Here's how I'd articulate your second sentence:

Even Manny can probably produce a good season with this schedule ... but UM should be in the market for a new coach in any case.

Advertisement
It’s still higher per school.

Honestly, the number surprised me and made me re-evaluate how we should be projecting King.

yea going by those numbers he ought to be all world in this conference....this ought to be like stepping DOWN to play JV ball after 3 years on the varsity....

This was posted in a Miami FB group. It’s worth a read. I’m not sure if it’s already been posted on this site.

As we've all heard, in his last (somewhat) full season of work, King scored 50 total TDs in only 11 games.

King's 50 TDs were only 4 less than that year's Heisman Trophy winner and future #1 overall pick, Kyler Murray.

Murray played in 3 more games than King.

In fact, in King's 50 TD-shortened season, he scored more or the same amount of total touchdowns than all of these QBs did in their best seasons, despite playing 2-4 less games than all of them:

Tua Tagovailoa
Trevor Lawrence
Baker Mayfield (Heisman season)
Deshaun Watson
Dak Prescott
Johnny Manziel (Heisman season)
Jameis Winston (Heisman season)
Robert Griffin (Heisman season)
Tim Tebow (Heisman season)

What about recent QBs who outscored King in a season?

Well fvck them, too.

King accounted for roughly 4.5 TDs per game in 2018. That per game average tops the best seasons by:

Joe Burrow (Heisman season)
Jalen Hurts
Justin Fields
Kyler Murray (Heisman season)
Lamar Jackson (Heisman season)
Patrick Mahommes
Dwayne Haskins
Marcus Mariota (Heisman season)
Cam Newton (Heisman season)
Sam Bradford (Heisman season)

King finds himself besting an absolutely eye-opening list of Heisman winners and first round draft picks. He's in the company of a murderer's row of the most elite and impressive college QBs of the last several years.

There is no other way to say it other than to say the data suggests that D'Eriq King is one of the most dynamic offensive players in all of modern college football.

Miami has not had a bonafide, elite playmaker and surefire stud at QB in decades.

Of the 19 QB's I listed above, 16 of them won 11 or more games in their best season.

The Takeaway:

DIAZ has one of the deadliest playmakers at the QB position in the last 15 years of college football.

He is being paired with an OC who just finished guiding an offense to a top 10 finish in both total yards and total points scored.

Credit to Manny for bringing these two into the program this off-season, as unlike Tate and Enos, King and Lashlee bring with them on-field and in-game proof of success.

Barring an injury to King, anything less than 10+ wins would be an abject failure and indisputable evidence that a head coaching change is immediately necessary.

———

F that. 11 wins or bust.

I agree that the talent gap between the AAC and the ACC Coastal isn't very wide but one year's draft results aren't really an accurate measure of an overall conferences talents. I will say that King will be facing better defenses in the ACC than he faced in the AAC. The American is a wide open conference like the old WAC. Nobody plays much defense there. I'm still bullish on our offense. Even with mediocre line play, they should still manage to score at a much higher rate than they did last season.

Advertisement
I agree that the talent gap between the AAC and the ACC Coastal isn't very wide but one year's draft results aren't really an accurate measure of an overall conferences talents. I will say that King will be facing better defenses in the ACC than he faced in the AAC. The American is a wide open conference like the old WAC. Nobody plays much defense there. I'm still bullish on our offense. Even with mediocre line play, they should still manage to score at a much higher rate than they did last season.

King will turn a lot of their mistakes into positive yards as well

Exactly.

that temple game would have been the game of the year for the Houston program.. for us it should be a win no matter what.

expectations are higher here... the quality of talent around him is higher here.. and that means he won’t have any lesser cupcakes besides Wagner that were inferior
Yeah this from a squad who couldnt beat FIU

Only seven non-Miami players drafted from the ACC Coastal. The AAC had 17.

I'm not sure stepping up his competition was first in his mind. Quite frankly, playing against weaker competition in a better, bigger and more visible conference would actually probably work to his benefit....I'm certain location, brand and most importantly offensive scheme and coordinator had most to do with his decision.

Advertisement
Yes and Miami lost to East Carolina in 1999. It didn't stop them from being favored in almost every game in 2000.
Yes, but did they lose back to back to back games to Duke, FIU and Louisiana Technical University while being shutout in a bowl game and setting several records for losing as being 14+ point favorites 3 times and getting shut out by a Non-Power 5 school?

/they did not
//crazy stat about the 99 CANES, they lost to #1, #2 and #3 that season
///99 Canes would beat the 2019 Canes 52-0

Yes, but did they lose back to back to back games to Duke, FIU and Louisiana Technical University while being shutout in a bowl game and setting several records for losing as being 14+ point favorites 3 times and getting shut out by a Non-Power 5 school?

/they did not
//crazy stat about the 99 CANES, they lost to #1, #2 and #3 that season
///99 Canes would beat the 2019 Canes 52-0

Not my point. My point is that even after losing all those games to bad teams last year, Miami will still be favored against Temple. They'll probably still be favored in every game on their schedule.

Not my point. My point is that even after losing all those games to bad teams last year, Miami will still be favored against Temple. They'll probably still be favored in every game on their schedule.
Of course, we have been for 15 plus years, I don't take any solace in that at all as a Canes fan....... I just didn't get the 99 ECU loss statement, made no sense and that 99 team was light years more talented than the 2019 team, odd "comparison" to try to use is all

Advertisement
Of course, we have been for 15 plus years, I don't take any solace in that at all as a Canes fan....... I just didn't get the 99 ECU loss statement, made no sense and that 99 team was light years more talented than the 2019 team, odd "comparison" to try to use is all
I wasn't comparing the teams to each other. My point was that oddsmakers don't give a **** if you lost to a bad team the year before.

I wasn't comparing the teams to each other. My point was that oddsmakers don't give a **** if you lost to a bad team the year before.
Ahhhh, I see, wasn't sure where you were trying to go with that ...…. OK buddy

Imagine how many more wins we would have if our record was off "odds" only, that would be cool. I bet we would have 75 or so more wins in the past 15 years.

Ahhhh, I see, wasn't sure where you were trying to go with that ...…. OK buddy

Imagine how many more wins we would have if our record was off "odds" only, that would be cool. I bet we would have 75 more wins in the past 15 years.
Go back to post #71. My post was a direct response. It has nothing to do with who's better the 99 team or the 2019 team. It has nothing to do with how many wins the team has had. The original quote was from a guy who said Temple would be the biggest game of the year for Houston while at Miami it's just a game that most people assume they'd win.

Advertisement
Back