Is D’Eriq King really stepping up his competition?

It’s still higher per school.

Honestly, the number surprised me and made me re-evaluate how we should be projecting King.

I think it's a good point and closer in talent than people would expect.

But some things I'd say would be

It's actually comparing 12 schools vs 6, since you're taking Miami out off the Coastal
Yes, Temple had more than Mch St + FSU this year - but would you bet on that being the same case next year? I wouldn't
In 2018, King (his good year), King didn't play the 2 best teams in the AAC (UCF & Cinncinati)
In 2019, and I don't know why this seems to keep getting overlooked, King only completed 52.7% of his 110 passes - so that wasn't very good.

Advertisement
Bodes well for us. Been saying this since we hired Lashlee and signed King. The AAC was probably the 4th best league in America last year after SEC, BIG and Big 12

Aside from UVA who lost their best DB's, what Defense in the Coastal even has enough horses to slow down that Offense? And UVA at their best still couldn't beat a poorly coached Enox offense with Perry at the helm, wtf are they gonna do with an electric dynamic talent like King coached by an uptempo high octane minded Lashlee?

I've been saying this since Coker and Shannon. We've been misusing our personnel for decades. No ACC Coastal team has had the depth at secondary to keep up with all our WRs (and RBs and TEs when they run routes). Other than the occasional VT team under Bowden, they've consistently been too one-dimensional. Maybe UNC becomes a threat going forward. But by an large, an uptempo spread with a true dual-threat guy at QB will be a hot knife cutting through butter.

Looking forward to watching the Lashlee/King combo. I HATE the fact that King hasn't been able to build chemistry with his WRs due to the pandemic. But, if there's a Silver Lining, the fact that he's simply a certified Playmaker with the ball in his hands should help us overcome any of the early hurdles due to a lack of reps.

The Coastal is trash. I can't see there being some huge adjustment.

Advertisement
Well this goes back to the argument that has been raging for years.

Is Miami really as talented as people have been saying.

Not just this last draft but let’s say the last 5 drafts should give you a honest answer.

I am not blaming the coaches, players, whatever you want to blame at this point but something has got to change quickly.

Just to be clear, I think any P5 conference is a step up from the AAC.

But the gap might be closer than we thought.
Well there’s a lot of things projecting forward to make this conference harder and more importantly the coastal division itself

1) No longer will GT be a 1940s offense and will now tap into their fertile Atlanta area recruiting grounds no longer allowing UGA and other SEC schools to poach them away

2) UNC with Mack Brown is showing it will be a top 10 recruiting school bringing in some Uber talented kids.. also not allowing themselves to get ran over by the SEC

Those two teams immediately pick up the divisions reputation by increasing the talent and Competitiveness in and out of conference.

Also Louisville won’t be down for much longer, FSU as much j hate to admit it won’t be a dumpster fire with norvell (don’t think they’ll be elite but they won’t be taggart level doo-doo).

We’re top 5 in total players drafted over the previous five years, so there’s your answer.

Not as talented as Alabama and Ohio State. Much more talented than the ACC Coastal.

But we’re are the players being drafted by round to say players for the AAC?

Advertisement
Answering both questions:

1. Yes the AAC, top to bottom is currently as competitive as the ACC. If/when Miami and FSU bounce back, it wont be close as any of the big 3 (Miami, FSU, Clemson) have the capacity to win national titles. GT, UNC, and Louisville are going to be tough teams as well. I don't think the AAC will ever produce a title contender.

2. Since King threw 50 TDs in the AAC, I think it bodes very well for his future at Miami. If he stays healthy, I would bet money he will annihilate Walsh's single season record of 29 TDs in a season.

But we’re are the players being drafted by round to say players for the AAC?

Don’t have those numbers. My guess is below the truly elite teams, on par with everyone else from a distribution standpoint.

Advertisement
I projected him as being significantly more productive.

Definitely passing for more than 3100yds & 35-40TD's, plus a good 600-700+yards rushing with 7-10TD's.
Been saying it since he signed. If he doesn't break the TD record here, it's going to be a bad, bad season. I fully expect him to trash the UM record for total TDs in a season.

Only seven non-Miami players drafted from the ACC Coastal. The AAC had 17.
Come on now just a few years ago the ACC had the most draft picks of any conference. Last few years have been bad, but you also had a **** ton of turnover in the coaching dept of almost every ACC team.

Advertisement
He threw 54% against some of the worst pass defenses in the P5.

Yes, he's really stepping up in competition.
That's a very shortsighted look at it.

Vs TTech he was 30/51 431yds & 5TD's passing with 47yds rushing & 1TD.

Vs AZ he was 17/34 246yds 4TD's passing with 31yds rushing & 2TD's .

In 2019 the Redshirt year -

vs Wash St he was 13/24 128yds 1TD passing with 94yds rushing & 2TD's.

Vs Oklahoma he was 14/27 for 167yds 2TD's passing with 103yds rushing & 1TD.

He didn't throw a single interception or have any turnovers vs P5 teams & had he had more support around him he would've played much better.

Completion percentage doesn't tell the full story of each game, a better coordinator can manufacture an above 60% passer in a better offense with better weapons.

So just saying he completed 54% vs P5 teams on it's face isn't really giving a clue as to what kind of passer he is or isn't. He was a 63.5% passer in 2018, which means it can be duplicated again.

Jalen Hurts was a 60.6% passer in Mike Locksley trash offense in 2017, in 2019 in Lincoln Riley's system he catapulted to being a 69.7% passer because the system simplified the reads & opened the field up to have easier completions.

There are no dominant stout Defenses in the Coastal & there are no Juggenaughts on our schedule, King will be fine.

That's a very shortsighted look at it.

Vs TTech he was 30/51 431yds & 5TD's passing with 47yds rushing & 1TD.

Vs AZ he was 17/34 246yds 4TD's passing with 31yds rushing & 2TD's .

In 2019 the Redshirt year -

vs Wash St he was 13/24 128yds 1TD passing with 94yds rushing & 2TD's.

Vs Oklahoma he was 14/27 for 167yds 2TD's passing with 103yds rushing & 1TD.

He didn't throw a single interception or have any turnovers vs P5 teams & had he had more support around him he would've played much better.

Completion percentage doesn't tell the full story of each game, a better coordinator can manufacture an above 60% passer in a better offense with better weapons.

So just saying he completed 54% vs P5 teams on it's face isn't really giving a clue as to what kind of passer he is or isn't. He was a 63.5% passer in 2018, which means it can be duplicated again.

Jalen Hurts was a 60.6% passer in Mike Locksley trash offense in 2017, in 2019 in Lincoln Riley's system he catapulted to being a 69.7% passer because the system simplified the reads & opened the field up to have easier completions.

There are no dominant stout Defenses in the Coastal & there are no Juggenaughts on our schedule, King will be fine.

I’m pretty sure he had 4 passing touchdowns in the first half against Arizona that year. Dudes were still on here talking about he didn’t have a good game. Freaking comical.

Only seven non-Miami players drafted from the ACC Coastal. The AAC had 17.
So the new thing is to focus on weak competition, which we all know and have known. Not sure why we’re doing this, though. We all know our coaching stinks. The more important lesson from the drsft is our talent ain’t what someone mighta thought it was based on past nfl draft threads on this site over time. Let’s focus on what we have to fix, not get excited by how broken the coastal is. IMO.

So the new thing is to focus on weak competition, which we all know and have known. Not sure why we’re doing this, though. We all know our coaching stinks. The more important lesson from the drsft is our talent ain’t what someone mighta thought it was based on past nfl draft threads on this site over time. Let’s focus on what we have to fix, not get excited by how broken the coastal is. IMO.

This is a thread about D’Eriq King.

If you want to revisit this tired argument, and type the word “Evaluations” as if it is a new insight, we can do it in September. That’s when the NFL rosters are released. I suspect we will continue to rank among the elite programs in the nation despite having “mediocre talent” for a decade.

Advertisement
Back