Is Cook a better prospect than Duke?

Advertisement
I will say this, Duke Johnson is a beast. He is putting up great numbers at Miami even though he missed the last 4 games this season and part of UNC (on pace for 300+ rushing yards) and FSU (which he was doing pretty good).

2012:

Rushing: 139 for 947 Yards (6.8 YPC) and 10 TDs
Receiving: 27 for 221 Yards and 1 TD
Return: 27 for 892 Yards and 2 TDs

2012 Totals: 2,060 Total Yards and 13 TDs

2013: [Through 8 Games]

Rushing: 145 for 920 Yards (6.3 YPC) and 6 TDs (Projected over 12 Games: 217 for 1380 Yards and 9 TDs)
Receiving: 4 for 77 Yards
Return: 14 for 396 Yards

2013 Totals: 1393 Total Yards and 6 TDs

2012+2013: 3453 Total Yards and 19 TDs
-----------------------------------------

I have never seen Cook live but Duke has put up some big boy stats over 2 years (missing 4+ games in 2013 and never going to a bowl game). If this kid is as good as Duke, that is pretty darn good.

Last edited:
Not sure I understand the "the not even close" comments. I love Duke, but Cook is equally as special. The main difference is that Duke committed to Miami when he was conceived.

A better prospect? Yes

A better RB at the same point in their career? No

Exactly in high school Duke didn't really have help, he did it all by himself. He scared everybody in dade and broward county, he always made something out of nothing and played both sides on the field including special teams. HE WAS MIAMI NORLAND OFFENSE.

I dont know if this makes since but.....
Cook is like Lebron James at Central, he is surrounded with a very talented supporting cast. Its like watching a dream team when Central plays.
Duke was like Kobe at Norland, he was surrounded with just enough talent offensively to win and was literally a ONE MAN SHOW out there.

Advertisement
Not sure I understand the "the not even close" comments. I love Duke, but Cook is equally as special. The main difference is that Duke committed to Miami when he was conceived.

These are opinions, you will get 1000000 different ones.

Duke is DUKE until otherwise proved. Cook is outstanding and can play top end both ways. All I can say is, Cook, Joe and Brandon all standing on the sideline waiting to spell Duke for a series gives me a warm fuzzy fe2ling.

At this same point in their careers, Duke was the better player.

But as a prospect projecting the two over the years, Cook far and away has more upside and a higher ceiling than Duke.

Advertisement
At this same point in their careers, Duke was the better player.

But as a prospect projecting the two over the years, Cook far and away has more upside and a higher ceiling than Duke.

Far and away?

Come on man.

Cook has the better measurables, but Duke has that it factor about him. Cook is a phenomenal talent but I feel like Duke is a better RB because of his vision and ability to see the whole and explode through it.

Duke more natural as a rb. Duke has a few things in ****nal Cook doesnt and like wouldnt.

*Vision...Duke sees stuff before it develops, very seldom you see him just run into a logjam.
*Stiff Arm... at 195-200 Duke Johnson has the best stiff arm in country ..BAR NONE.
*Dead Leg...its a Dade County/So Fla thing but the set up run with the dead leg drop cut back is something we learn playing kill the man with the ball in elementary. Duke sets guys up with that in open field on regular.

Cook is just an insane athlete..built like a truck with burners. Ball Skills on defense like crazy.

Cook is a bigger Devin Hester in the open field honestly.
But the uy i most compare him to who ive never seen done is Lamar Miller. Lamar Miller with a crease is gonzo......your not catching him same thing with Cook. The thing that gives him a higher ceiling than Miller is that he is Cook still has the physicality in his game something Miller NEVER have/had because of shoulder issues and just him not being that type of guy. Cook still wants to run through you even thoug he has the jets.

Advertisement
Lulz @ trying to compare what should have been a 2 time 1000 yard back, an elite play maker on the college level. To a guy, that yes is very good in HS, but until the day he steps on the field on the next level, and does what Duke has done. Is getting a little head of ourselves. Duke proved that all the hype he received was justified in game one of his frosh season.

Lulz @ trying to compare what should have been a 2 time 1000 yard back, an elite play maker on the college level. To a guy, that yes is very good in HS, but until the day he steps on the field on the next level, and does what Duke has done. Is getting a little head of ourselves. Duke proved that all the hype he received was justified in game one of his frosh season.

That's why the question is prospect, not player. Duke is clearly the best player right now. People compare ceilings of prospects vs. current players all the time.

Advertisement
Scratch Koby and replace him with Jordan! Duke is not over rated Koby is!
A better prospect? Yes

A better RB at the same point in their career? No

Exactly in high school Duke didn't really have help, he did it all by himself. He scared everybody in dade and broward county, he always made something out of nothing and played both sides on the field including special teams. HE WAS MIAMI NORLAND OFFENSE.

I dont know if this makes since but.....
Cook is like Lebron James at Central, he is surrounded with a very talented supporting cast. Its like watching a dream team when Central plays.
Duke was like Kobe at Norland, he was surrounded with just enough talent offensively to win and was literally a ONE MAN SHOW out there.

That is very true! I saw Duke play in a playoff game in the muck, best I have ever seen at RB. Cook played a different role on his team, hard to really compare because of that. Duke did more amazing things than anyone I have seen before him in HS! I hope he comes back strong from that injury, wish we had some updates from someone that knows him.

That's why the question is prospect, not player. Duke is clearly the best player right now. People compare ceilings of prospects vs. current players all the time.

Advertisement
Back